• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Sportsman

Who is the Greatest Sportsman

• Total voters

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That would be because 99.9% of people are **** at karting. Just like every piss-poor grade cricketer that never gets called up to play Test cricket. No useless karter is going to get called up to race in formula racing.

And anyway, Schumi isn't even the greatest F1 driver.
Did anyone overtake someone else in an F1 GP this year? If it actually happened at the business end of the field, with a race on the line and not because someone's Saturn V on wheels slipped a disc, I might watch it again.

vcs

I don't know that much about golf, but I read somewhere that Nicklaus has almost as many RU finishes as he has Majors.. I think that's a pretty amazing feat considering how topsy-turvy and competitive golf is.

Burgey

I don't know that much about golf, but I read somewhere that Nicklaus has almost as many RU finishes as he has Majors.. I think that's a pretty amazing feat considering how topsy-turvy and competitive golf is.
For certain. I think there's only really two in the equation re. golf. Some would say Bobby Jones, a few maybe Palmer or Hogan, but not really. It's a two horse race between Woods and Nicklaus.

99*

International Debutant
seriously?
Yes. Schumi, Senna, Hamilton, Alonso, nearly ever driver from before the 70's. All began their racing lives in karts.

Did anyone overtake someone else in an F1 GP this year? If it actually happened at the business end of the field, with a race on the line and not because someone's Saturn V on wheels slipped a disc, I might watch it again.
:laugh:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
A sure sign she's been with a relation of Murphy's, imo.

Not Murphy himself, obviously, other than in his "special nighttime" dreams.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
They have played lots on clay, TBF. Federer's game just doesn't stack up to Nadal there.. it's a miracle he's even taken sets and made matches close.
federer is a great clay court player...in fact if nadal(or someone at that level) hadn't come along, he would have had around 4-5 french opens by now...he just ran into a player who is the greatest ever on the surface by a country mile...in fact even though he has won only one title at rolland garros, i would say he has done enough on the surface to be considered arguably the 3rd best clay courter ever behind nadal and borg...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah I agree. Fed would have won a lot of French Opens if he was around in the 90s and early 2000s at his peak. Would have had some awesome matches with Guga.

vcs

federer is a great clay court player...in fact if nadal(or someone at that level) hadn't come along, he would have had around 4-5 french opens by now...he just ran into a player who is the greatest ever on the surface by a country mile...in fact even though he has won only one title at rolland garros, i would say he has done enough on the surface to be considered arguably the 3rd best clay courter ever behind nadal and borg...
Yeah I agree. Fed would have won a lot of French Opens if he was around in the 90s and early 2000s at his peak. Would have had some awesome matches with Guga.
DWTA. Winning titles is winning titles. No way Federer (as a claycourter) can be put above the likes of Lendl, Kuerten and Wilander who have won 3 RG titles. He's good, maybe at the level of a Courier/Bruguera, but needs to win RG again if he wants to be considered at the level of the aforementioned players.

I agree Federer-Guga on clay would have been amazing to watch though. I think Federer beat him at Hamburg once, but he lost to Guga in the French Open in 2004, which was an upset at the time.

vcs

Federer is by far my favourite ever sportsman.

He has a good argument IMO.