• Pele

2 9.09%
  • Muhammad Ali

3 13.64%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Sportsman

vcs
    Quote Originally Posted by TumTum View Post
    But don't you think the "greatest sportsman" should be head and shoulders above his peers and at his best be better than anybody? Because even at Roger's best, he can't defeat a fit Nadal.
    The aim of the sport is to win (Grand Slam) titles, not to defeat Nadal. Remember, Nadal has to make it to a final for Federer to have to worry about him (not any more obviously).

99*
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    So the pre-requisite to launch your F1 career is being good in a go-kart?
    It's not the be all and end all. But most F1 drivers begin their racing careers as kids racing in karts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey
    She tells me the thing will flatten out, I say "Like your chest?" Bad mistake.

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    The aim of the sport is to win (Grand Slam) titles, not to defeat Nadal. Remember, Nadal has to make it to a final for Federer to have to worry about him (not any more obviously).
    That's beside the point. No.1 criteria IMO for being qualified as the "greatest sportsman" is you need to be better or at least equal to (at some point) then the rest of your peers/competitors.

I actually do think Federer's record against Nadal is an issue for him being the greatest sportsperson. It doesn't make him someone who can't be the best tennis player. But we're talking the best ever sportsperson in the history of the world. Obviously it becomes a factor.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

vcs
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    I actually do think Federer's record against Nadal is an issue for him being the greatest sportsperson. It doesn't make him someone who can't be the best tennis player. But we're talking the best ever sportsperson in the history of the world. Obviously it becomes a factor.
    They have played lots on clay, TBF. Federer's game just doesn't stack up to Nadal there.. it's a miracle he's even taken sets and made matches close.

They have played lots on clay, TBF. Federer's game just doesn't stack up to Nadal there.. it's a miracle he's even taken sets and made matches close.
    AWTA. lrn2playclay. ITF only targets continental pitches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

Banned
    Out of curiosity, why isn't cricket considered to be a minority sport ? It is only played by a handful of nations, and I am sure 95 % of people outside of these nations don't really have a clue as to what cricket is.

And why has Tiger Woods been left out ? Surely he belongs in this discussion ?

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by 99* View Post
    It's not the be all and end all. But most F1 drivers begin their racing careers as kids racing in karts.
    seriously?

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze 18 View Post
    Out of curiosity, why isn't cricket considered to be a minority sport ? It is only played by a handful of nations, and I am sure 95 % of people outside of these nations don't really have a clue as to what cricket is.

And why has Tiger Woods been left out ? Surely he belongs in this discussion ?
    I don't think Tiger is the best in golf, but I'm not sure on that.

The only two people on this list who are head and shoulders above other sportsmen in their categories are Bradman and Jahangir Khan.

vcs
    Jack Nicklaus > Tiger Woods, surely?

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 99* View Post
    That would be because 99.9% of people are **** at karting. Just like every piss-poor grade cricketer that never gets called up to play Test cricket. No useless karter is going to get called up to race in formula racing.

And anyway, Schumi isn't even the greatest F1 driver.
    Did anyone overtake someone else in an F1 GP this year? If it actually happened at the business end of the field, with a race on the line and not because someone's Saturn V on wheels slipped a disc, I might watch it again.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Jack Nicklaus > Tiger Woods, surely?
    Debatable.

vcs
    I don't know that much about golf, but I read somewhere that Nicklaus has almost as many RU finishes as he has Majors.. I think that's a pretty amazing feat considering how topsy-turvy and competitive golf is.

I don't know that much about golf, but I read somewhere that Nicklaus has almost as many RU finishes as he has Majors.. I think that's a pretty amazing feat considering how topsy-turvy and competitive golf is.
    For certain. I think there's only really two in the equation re. golf. Some would say Bobby Jones, a few maybe Palmer or Hogan, but not really. It's a two horse race between Woods and Nicklaus.

99*
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    seriously?
    Yes. Schumi, Senna, Hamilton, Alonso, nearly ever driver from before the 70's. All began their racing lives in karts.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Did anyone overtake someone else in an F1 GP this year? If it actually happened at the business end of the field, with a race on the line and not because someone's Saturn V on wheels slipped a disc, I might watch it again.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information