Cricket Player Manager

View Poll Results: Who is the Greatest Sportsman

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jahangir Khan

    1 4.55%
  • Roger Federer

    1 4.55%
  • Don Bradman

    14 63.64%
  • Michael Schumacher

    1 4.55%
  • Pele

    2 9.09%
  • Muhammad Ali

    3 13.64%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 57

Thread: Greatest Sportsman

  1. #16
    International Coach Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    10,020
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltman View Post
    Jahangir isn't even the best sportsperson in his sport:



    Heather McKay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Thanks for expanding my knowledge, but the thread is about the greatest sportman not sportsperson. And even then we can't really say she was better than Jahangir at squash.

  2. #17
    Hall of Fame Member Smudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Deep, deep south
    Posts
    16,696
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    Thanks for expanding my knowledge, but the thread is about the greatest sportman not sportsperson..
    I realise that. I can read, after all. My point was that you could argue he wasn't even the standout sportsperson in his own sport, so you're drawing a long bow to put him at the top of the greatest sportsman list.

  3. #18
    Hall of Fame Member grecian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    RIP
    Posts
    15,846
    Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    The Wilt comment has more to do with my dispute where certain CWers in the past have maintained that Wilt was undeniably the best baller ever. But yeah agreed, basketball not being a dominant sport in most of the world (more than just one country though) doesn't help MJ's cause. But his dominance in the 90s did globalize the game.

    That said, your point about height is silly, and something only someone not very knowledgeable on basketball would bring up. Yes, height is important, but speed, quickness, overall athleticism, and a high basketball IQ are much more important. Height matters little when you come up against an athletic guard with a 40" vertical leaping ability and great ball handling skills.

    Okay, I'm not knowledgeable on height, so how tall was Jordan. Look I don't really care, I have no doubt that the best b-ballers are great athletes, I'm just saying that there are a number of people in all populations that can't make it in the sport because of height. All you said talking about my silliness hasn't disproved that, If that is silly fair enough, I'm a silly man, but it tends to be why I prefer soccer and cricket players, you can perform at all sizes.

    Anyway still bradman
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

  4. #19
    International Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,374
    Nadal owns Federer head to head, so you can't call him the greatest sportsman.

    Schumacher's wins are mostly due to Ferrari, everybody knows car >>> driver in that sport.

    For me it's Pele. Yes Bradman dominated his sport the most, however you must remember that the skill level of Football was far greater than the skill level of Cricket at the time (coz Football has been around for ages and followed by the whole world, whereas cricket was mostly in England and Australia and just starting to develop).


  5. #20
    International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Not really needed on CW
    Posts
    13,082
    Schumacher plays a sport that has such a short history. Not only that, a small handful of people in the world even get to attempt that 'sport'. You can't even know for sure that he is ridiculously talented with his driving if 99.99999999% of the world has never even attempted to drive a formula one car. (****ing hate F1 ftr)

  6. #21
    Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Madhouse on Madison
    Posts
    14,320
    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Okay, I'm not knowledgeable on height, so how tall was Jordan. Look I don't really care, I have no doubt that the best b-ballers are great athletes, I'm just saying that there are a number of people in all populations that can't make it in the sport because of height. All you said talking about my silliness hasn't disproved that, If that is silly fair enough, I'm a silly man, but it tends to be why I prefer soccer and cricket players, you can perform at all sizes.

    Anyway still bradman
    Jordan was 6'6", bit tall for his position, but he was nowhere near as tall as many other dominant big men in the league, those who knew how to use their height and weight to their advantage, yet he dominated them all, at times using their height to his advantage. Not to mention in his younger days he could just jump over them.

    Look I'm not arguing for MJ as the greatest sportsman ever, he's got plenty of competition as even the greatest basketball player ever, but you seem to disqualify or downplay his achievements and the sport itself by saying that people can't make it to the bigs if they've been short-changed, which is simply not true.

    Its not much different than a casual observer pointing out how players who can run real fast and bowl the ball at 90+ mph have a clear advantage over spinners who only take a couple of steps to gain momentum. You'd tell him the same thing I'm telling you, you just don't know what you're talking about mate.
    Forever 63* at the SCG

  7. #22
    International Coach duffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    63*
    Posts
    12,042
    Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    The Wilt comment has more to do with my dispute where certain CWers in the past have maintained that Wilt was undeniably the best baller ever. But yeah agreed, basketball not being a dominant sport in most of the world (more than just one country though) doesn't help MJ's cause. But his dominance in the 90s did globalize the game.

    That said, your point about height is silly, and something only someone not very knowledgeable on basketball would bring up. Yes, height is important, but speed, quickness, overall athleticism, and a high basketball IQ are much more important. Height matters little when you come up against an athletic guard with a 40" vertical leaping ability and great ball handling skills.
    Wilt's a ****ing fraud. Bill Russell and MJ are the only two in the conversation.

    Basketball is definitely a global sport now. Moreso than cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    True, a Duffer "heh" is like 50 likes.

  8. #23
    International Coach duffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    63*
    Posts
    12,042
    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Okay, I'm not knowledgeable on height, so how tall was Jordan. Look I don't really care, I have no doubt that the best b-ballers are great athletes, I'm just saying that there are a number of people in all populations that can't make it in the sport because of height. All you said talking about my silliness hasn't disproved that, If that is silly fair enough, I'm a silly man, but it tends to be why I prefer soccer and cricket players, you can perform at all sizes.

    Anyway still bradman
    Most people are "excluded" from top level sport by the fact that they don't have the talent level. Not seeing how that is any different than not having the height. The NBA is full of relatively undersized players who have long careers anyway.

    It's not an exclusive sport anyway. All sizes play it and enjoy it relative to their own level.

  9. #24
    International Coach duffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    63*
    Posts
    12,042
    Quote Originally Posted by TumTum View Post
    Nadal owns Federer head to head, so you can't call him the greatest sportsman.

    Schumacher's wins are mostly due to Ferrari, everybody knows car >>> driver in that sport.

    For me it's Pele. Yes Bradman dominated his sport the most, however you must remember that the skill level of Football was far greater than the skill level of Cricket at the time (coz Football has been around for ages and followed by the whole world, whereas cricket was mostly in England and Australia and just starting to develop).
    Maradona > Pele

  10. #25
    Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Madhouse on Madison
    Posts
    14,320
    Quote Originally Posted by duffer View Post
    Wilt's a ****ing fraud. Bill Russell and MJ are the only two in the conversation.
    No arguments there. I might include Bird or Magic, but those two have by far the best case for GOAT.

  11. #26
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    44,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltman View Post
    Jahangir isn't even the best sportsperson in his sport:



    Heather McKay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Can imagine that's probably quite the debate over at SquashWeb.net forums.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

    Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.


  12. #27
    99*
    99* is offline
    International Debutant 99*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    2,594
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Schumacher plays a sport that has such a short history. Not only that, a small handful of people in the world even get to attempt that 'sport'. You can't even know for sure that he is ridiculously talented with his driving if 99.99999999% of the world has never even attempted to drive a formula one car. (****ing hate F1 ftr)
    That would be because 99.9% of people are **** at karting. Just like every piss-poor grade cricketer that never gets called up to play Test cricket. No useless karter is going to get called up to race in formula racing.

    And anyway, Schumi isn't even the greatest F1 driver.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey
    She tells me the thing will flatten out, I say "Like your chest?" Bad mistake.

  13. #28
    vcs
    vcs is offline
    International Coach vcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,305
    Quote Originally Posted by TumTum View Post
    Nadal owns Federer head to head, so you can't call him the greatest sportsman.

    Schumacher's wins are mostly due to Ferrari, everybody knows car >>> driver in that sport.

    For me it's Pele. Yes Bradman dominated his sport the most, however you must remember that the skill level of Football was far greater than the skill level of Cricket at the time (coz Football has been around for ages and followed by the whole world, whereas cricket was mostly in England and Australia and just starting to develop).
    That doesn't preclude him from being the greatest tennis player ever (not that I think he is, but for reasons other than the head to head), so no reason why it should preclude him from greatest sportsman ever.

  14. #29
    International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Not really needed on CW
    Posts
    13,082
    Quote Originally Posted by 99* View Post
    That would be because 99.9% of people are **** at karting. Just like every piss-poor grade cricketer that never gets called up to play Test cricket. No useless karter is going to get called up to race in formula racing.

    And anyway, Schumi isn't even the greatest F1 driver.
    So the pre-requisite to launch your F1 career is being good in a go-kart?

  15. #30
    International Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,374
    Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    That doesn't preclude him from being the greatest tennis player ever (not that I think he is, but for reasons other than the head to head), so no reason why it should preclude him from greatest sportsman ever.
    But don't you think the "greatest sportsman" should be head and shoulders above his peers and at his best be better than anybody? Because even at Roger's best, he can't defeat a fit Nadal.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Sobers rates Gavaskar as the greatest batsman
    By Ilovecric in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 120
    Last Post: 08-03-2010, 07:57 PM
  2. Replies: 37
    Last Post: 17-02-2010, 12:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •