Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 58 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 870

Thread: *Official* NRL 2011 Season thread

  1. #16
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    44,040
    Yeah there's no chance of Inglis playing fullback now that they've had to release Champion IMO.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

    Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.


  2. #17
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    44,040
    Quote Originally Posted by 99* View Post
    !!!!

    Premiers: Newcastle
    Minor Prems: Newcastle
    Spoon: Manly
    Surprise Packet - Dragons don't make the 8.
    Lol @ Newcastle taking out the double and it not being the surprise packet.

  3. #18
    International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    City of Sails
    Posts
    4,192
    Warriors are my dark horse for this year. With the Dragons favourites.

  4. #19
    World Traveller Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Super Happy Fun Sugar Lollipop Land!
    Posts
    34,131
    Is Souths paying a portion of Champion's contract?
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

    Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.


  5. #20
    International Coach howardj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    12,908
    I think so.
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

    - Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

  6. #21
    World Traveller Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Super Happy Fun Sugar Lollipop Land!
    Posts
    34,131
    Do anybody else watch the Origin Legends game? Tony Trim, WAG.

  7. #22
    International Captain Ausage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    I'll show ye!!
    Posts
    5,335
    Didn't even know it was on until I saw the queues for the bus at Parramatta station going back a mile. Hopefully they replay it sometime.

    What does everyone think of this?
    New Brisbane NRL Team Would Target Wayne Bennett As Coach | NRL
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

    Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZwgu8_b0Vw

    RIP Craig

  8. #23
    World Traveller Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Super Happy Fun Sugar Lollipop Land!
    Posts
    34,131
    We don't need another team in Brisbane. I would rather they try and grow the game, and place a team in Perth etc.

  9. #24
    International Coach howardj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    12,908
    Mixed feeling on this:

    - We definitely could sustain another team given the love of rugby league in this City. It's madness that we're the 2nd home to rugby league but only have one team.

    - The NRL already lacks depth, and doesn't have another 25 qaulity players to fill a team, therefore you'd need rationalisation in Sydney which simply won't happen in the short term

    - As you say Craigos, we really need to grow the game into other cities - that's the only way the pie will get bigger

  10. #25
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    45,330
    It's the old "heartlands v expansion" debate, isn't it?

    I think expansion is a noble ambition, but to take the obvious example of Melbourne, financial "issues" notwithstanding they've been the most successful team over the last five years beyond question and have qualified for finals series pretty consistently since their formation, but Victorians in the team are still noticeable by their absence.

    An NRL team in PNG has always been an idea that intrigues me, given they go divvy for the game up there, but I suppose financial constraints mitigate against it. Shame tho.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

    - As featured in The Independent.

    "I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

  11. #26
    World Traveller Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Super Happy Fun Sugar Lollipop Land!
    Posts
    34,131
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    It's the old "heartlands v expansion" debate, isn't it?

    I think expansion is a noble ambition, but to take the obvious example of Melbourne, financial "issues" notwithstanding they've been the most successful team over the last five years beyond question and have qualified for finals series pretty consistently since their formation, but Victorians in the team are still noticeable by their absence.

    An NRL team in PNG has always been an idea that intrigues me, given they go divvy for the game up there, but I suppose financial constraints mitigate against it. Shame tho.
    The only way a PNG team could work if we had some sort of draft in place, or had massive salary cap concessions, because aside from having local players (who if they are half decent, would run at the first chance to move to for an NRL club in either Australia or New Zealand), you will struggle to attract players, because who the **** wants to live in Port Moresby?

  12. #27
    International Captain Ausage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    I'll show ye!!
    Posts
    5,335
    Thing with Brisbane 2 is that it means there's likely 2 prime time Friday night slots containing QLD teams, and a game at Suncorp most weekends. QLD loves its League, and in a way the NRL is failing to cash in on this by not putting enough of the sport on in the state. Throw in 2 derby games every year which will end up being showpiece events and you have a pretty good deal. Certainly better than just throwing a team at an AFL heartland like Adelaide just for the sake of it.

    Never understood the lack of playing talent argument either. Assuming any expansion allows for new money to flow into the sport it's not like that new money would be used to cannibalize the existing playerbase. There's plenty of players in England, European Rugby who could play in the NRL right now. Throw in some second grades able to make the step up, a smattering of talented youngsters and I reckon you'd have competitive lineups. It would take time, but the onus would be on these clubs to produce juniors too, so in time this would bring more quality players in to the game. Then again I'm someone who really doesn't buy the whole "standard of today's league is rubbish" argument either.

    An NRL team in PNG would just be amazing. I really don't know enough about the place to say whether or not it's even remotely feasible, but my understanding is that it's a place so different from where we live that the challenges would be enormous. The potential is mind blowing however.

    Just on Melbourne, I remember hearing/reading that the majority of their Toyota Cup winning squad of a couple of years back were Victorian juniors. Is that correct or just someone blowing smoke up the proverbial?

  13. #28
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    45,330
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    The only way a PNG team could work if we had some sort of draft in place, or had massive salary cap concessions, because aside from having local players (who if they are half decent, would run at the first chance to move to for an NRL club in either Australia or New Zealand), you will struggle to attract players, because who the **** wants to live in Port Moresby?
    As I understood it there are visa issues for PNG citizens wishing to enter Oz?

    Can't believe a nation that has league as its national sport couldn't produce at least one first grade player. I know Costigan used to play for PNG, but (as I understand) he moved to QLD at an early age so is effectively an Aussie anyway.

    Actually, looking at their squad for the 2010 4-Nations Paul Aiton played for them and he's the rake at the Sharks, so maybe there's more than one.

  14. #29
    International Captain Ausage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    I'll show ye!!
    Posts
    5,335
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Actually, looking at their squad for the 2010 4-Nations Paul Aiton played for them and he's the rake at the Sharks, so maybe there's more than one.
    Handy player Aiton. Was disappointed when he left Penrith tbh.

  15. #30
    International Coach howardj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    12,908
    Thing with Brisbane 2 is that it means there's likely 2 prime time Friday night slots containing QLD teams, and a game at Suncorp most weekends. QLD loves its League, and in a way the NRL is failing to cash in on this by not putting enough of the sport on in the state. Throw in 2 derby games every year which will end up being showpiece events and you have a pretty good deal. Certainly better than just throwing a team at an AFL heartland like Adelaide just for the sake of it.
    Very much so. Suncrop should have a game every weekend. Queensland is league-mad, and the people here deserve to have the option of going into the City every weekend to watch an NRL game.

    Never understood the lack of playing talent argument either. Assuming any expansion allows for new money to flow into the sport it's not like that new money would be used to cannibalize the existing playerbase. There's plenty of players in England, European Rugby who could play in the NRL right now. Throw in some second grades able to make the step up, a smattering of talented youngsters and I reckon you'd have competitive lineups. It would take time, but the onus would be on these clubs to produce juniors too, so in time this would bring more quality players in to the game. Then again I'm someone who really doesn't buy the whole "standard of today's league is rubbish" argument either.
    If you could get players back from the Old Dart, I agree that we could sustain a 17th team. However, with that unlikely, I don't want to see more Toyota Cup players in 1st grade. It's a very small nursery here in Australia. Moreover, a national sport like the AFL only has 16 teams (soon to be 17).

Page 2 of 58 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The Red Thread
    By Slats4ever in forum CW Development League
    Replies: 3619
    Last Post: 19-04-2010, 10:35 AM
  2. Build-up to Indian Domestic Season 2009-10
    By Arjun in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 390
    Last Post: 15-02-2010, 02:30 AM
  3. Replies: 1328
    Last Post: 30-03-2006, 03:45 AM
  4. Clubs Press Releases
    By Slats4ever in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 13-04-2004, 07:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •