• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NRL 2011 Season thread

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha Matt Orford, you can **** back to play in England again, you ****. I'll be shocked if he isn't dropped soon.

WAC.
I haven't seen the game on replay, but at the ground I thought he looked dangerous when he ran the ball and he looks like he's still organizing well. His kicking is just woefully bad though. He wouldn't make it in the NSW cup let alone NRL or Super League with that boot. Has to be dropped surely, but he's hardly to only player playing poorly for them. They were pretty poor all round.

Don't know how to feel about my team. Liked what I saw but it felt like a cheating lover telling me they've changed. I'll believe their assurances mostly because I really want to, but I'm still going to be checking their phones for kinky messages and snooping around the houses of their exs because I just don't trust them.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Office pride at stake tonight, working with 16 Broncos supporters is a bit of a nightmare a times, but it's always worth it when the Knights win.

Mister Wright

Office pride at stake tonight, working with 16 Broncos supporters is a bit of a nightmare a times, but it's always worth it when the Knights win.
When will that occur again this season? :p

Honestly, the Broncos are just guns in defence. Hoping our attack will click soon though!

howardj

International Coach
I've been rummaging through my stats archive all weekend and can exclusively reveal Dallas Johnson's incredible tackle counts for the first five rounds:

45, 41, 51, 64 and 52.

An average of 50.2

With he and Hodges returning to Qld colours this years, the Blues are mince meat.

And how overrated is Dugan!

Thinks he's all that too, apparently.

howardj

International Coach
I'm hearing rumblings that Bennett has signed with the Knights on a four-year $6 million deal.

Includes private jet, local steelworks plant etc etc.

Johnners

I'm hearing rumblings that Bennett has signed with the Knights on a four-year $6 million deal.

Includes private jet, local steelworks plant etc etc.
Translation: I read foxsports article at 11:42am which has Bennett announcing that he's signed with the Knights ?

:p

howardj

International Coach
Idris signs with the Coast for five years!

Why give a young guy such a long, lucrative deal?

Breeds complacency.

And part of the deal is...wait for it...his own TV show. Jesus christ man, they'll force feed you any player these days on the box...Fittler, Ikin, Marshall and now Idris.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Idris signs with the Coast for five years!

Why give a young guy such a long, lucrative deal?

Breeds complacency.
AWTA. I don't think it's that great a move most of the time. If a player's form drops you're stuck paying overs for a guy who's not worth it. If a player's form rises sharply you're going to have a hard time keeping him happy when people are whispering to him that he's worth more than he's on. It's really only worth it to keep the absolute cream of the crop and even then complacency is a real danger. For every Benji or Gallen or you can look at a Prince, Jarryd or Jennings for a guy who's very comfortable on an expensive long term deal.

Anyway congrats to Clapo, 99 and any other Knights fans on here. Pretty much a dream month for your mob I would expect.

Craig

World Traveller
I personally would have liked to have seen Idris stay at the Bulldogs, I like it when players are loyal to their clubs, but I suppose it is a good coup for the Titans in terms of PR. As for Bennett, certainly an ambitious move to go to the Knights.

Mister Wright

It's essentially a double coup for the Knights. As well as getting the best coach in the world they'll be picking up a world class fullback. Pretty sweet deal. I wish Bennett would stop going to clubs I absolutely hate!

Johnners

Wouldn't be so sure Boyd is going to the Knights. Would mean at least 1 of Henry, Mullen & Gidley would be ditched from a starting position. Can't see Gidley/Mullen getting turfed for obvious reasons, and if Henry were to have a decent second part of the season (upon his return from injury) I find it hard to believe he'd be given the short shift after just 1 season at the club given his apparent potential.

Johnners

Who cares what he's doing it for, is quite frankly laughable the people getting up in arms because "he's just a mercenary doing it for the money" (no-one on this site ftr, just other comments I've read and heard). Good luck to him if he is doing it for the money. I've never particularly liked the man, but if you're going to call anyone in the NRL in mercernary, surely the Coach who spent 20 years at the 1 club is the last bloke on that list?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Question regarding Bennett: is he earning more money than the highest paid NRL player? And for that matter, is he earning more money than the highest paid AFL player?

Interesting debate today on SEN about whether the best coaches (which I assume Bennett is from what I've heard and read of his record) should be paid more than the best player, if the situation warrants it.

85% of the SEN listeners voted no, basically advocating that the best player is always worth more. The hosts (Tim Watson, Andrew Gaze, Andy Maher... so not rugby league experts by any stretch) however disagreed. They made an AFL example, stating they believe that if Judd was available to a club, or Paul Roos, then Paul Roos should be paid more.

Now Paul Roos' record doesn't even come close to matching Bennett's. I reckon coaches have potentially been underpaid until recently. So will this be a change in the way things go with regards to coach salaries? Or is Bennett just a freak and hence this is a one-off?