• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Series Hockey, an IPL style 3M$ / Year Push for Hockey in India

jashan83

U19 Captain
Indian hockey could soon have a world league of its own on the lines of NBA. The first edition is set to be launched sometime in late 2011.

The 'World Series Hockey' league will be an annual event and is being promoted by Nimbus Sports in association with the Indian Hockey Federation (IHF). The first edition will see the participation of 10 teams on a city-based franchise model -- they will play each other on home and away basis with the league culminating in a multi-header playoff. The 10-week long league will be broadcast live, both in India and across the world.

jashan83

U19 Captain
Indian hockey could soon have a world league of its own on the lines of NBA. The first edition is set to be launched sometime in late 2011.

The 'World Series Hockey' league will be an annual event and is being promoted by Nimbus Sports in association with the Indian Hockey Federation (IHF). The first edition will see the participation of 10 teams on a city-based franchise model -- they will play each other on home and away basis with the league culminating in a multi-header playoff. The 10-week long league will be broadcast live, both in India and across the world.
The possible List of Cities are
Delhi
Mumbai
Chennai
Bangalore
Hyderabad
Chandigarh
Jalandhar / Ludhiana
Jaipur
Pune
Lucknow
Kolkota
Rourkela
Ahmedabad

jashan83

U19 Captain
will Pakistani's get the gig or its an IPL style snub?
Pakistani players have expressed interest, even the marketing agency Nimbus has also expressed interest, but many Indians do not want this to happen until Pakistan does some action on Mumbai Attack Terrorists. I also go by that view.

The decision is in the hands of Indian government.

jashan83

U19 Captain
WSH has one problem going on. Nimbus has tied with IHF, which used to manage Hockey earlier and is recognized by government and owns all the stadiums, while Indian Hockey Team is managed by HI and also FIH recognizes HI. The decision on the legitimate body would be soon given by supreme court this month.

On the good side all the Indian Team has already signed it. Also some foreign players have fallen in line. The updates will come slowly till the time tournament is near. The tournament would surely be Crackalacking.

There also have been some attacking remarks by Pakistani players saying keep politics & sports aside, but while the 2 nations talk, Indians say let talk economic and Politics aside. If Economics comes before then let it be, but Pakistan says no, first politics then economics. The Pakistani's cannot talk the way things favour them.

Xuhaib

International Coach
is Hockey a popular enough sport to make this business model work remember ESPNSTAR started something similar few years back the I think the idea bombed big time.

jashan83

U19 Captain
is Hockey a popular enough sport to make this business model work remember ESPNSTAR started something similar few years back the I think the idea bombed big time.
Hockey has a decent enough following. It is the second most popular game after Cricket and Media covers it very happily. Even the news of WSH is having so much coverage even covered in Opinion segment of Times of India, largest news paper of India

You are talking about PHL. It actually did decently. It was supposed to run 4 seasons and it did. It's sports kits also had a good enough sales in India. It had only one problem, all the matches were in one city only. Hence for a Pune V Chennai match there was nobody to watch it. WSH actually takes care of that. It has got excitement here locally. I am sure it will be a sure sure hit.

Even a reflection of this is the full houses in the Hockey World Cup & Commonwealth games. Many people have interest and it also does not clash with IPL, the only possible danger

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
PHL was a decent success tbf. It did not bomb.

There were wrangles between the Hockey federation which was in crisis and ESPNSTAR which resulted in it being shut down.

jashan83

U19 Captain
PHL was a decent success tbf. It did not bomb.

There were wrangles between the Hockey federation which was in crisis and ESPNSTAR which resulted in it being shut down.
Well whoever suggested it had bombed surely had reflection of other factors. Yeah you are right. PHL never bombed. WSH has many of the elements which will not allow hegemony of few people. I hope IHF wins the case and HI is gone. Then it would be full throttle.

The FIH is also like old times ICC when Australia and England calling all the shots. In FIH it is the European that call the shots.

jashan83

U19 Captain
Actually it did not Bomb at all Xuhaib. I have heard PHB is planning a new Hockey League either in Lahore or Dubai. Why Dubai. If they think people can follow Hocley in Dubai, then India surely is a much better place than Dubai

Xuhaib

International Coach
Actually it did not Bomb at all Xuhaib. I have heard PHB is planning a new Hockey League either in Lahore or Dubai. Why Dubai. If they think people can follow Hocley in Dubai, then India surely is a much better place than Dubai
PHF I think have gone for an u-19 hockey league the idea behind is not to make profit but to nurture the new talent.

Agree PHL was quite decent though some of the promos were really sad and cringeworthy.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Let me know when the Kabbadi Premier League is in the offing. Would love to be able to watch Kabbadi on the goggle-box again.

jashan83

U19 Captain
I reckon we should patent this idea and start a business in the sub-continent. Do you have ESPN-STAR's phone number?
IPL has been the highest attended league in any of the sports. It made the richest sports body in the World even more richer leaving beside any competition

Now WSH seems to have all the excitement. It surely will be a hit

And then you have come with this brilliant idea. I believe after the two rich leagues in India you will come up with a third one. Wow you will be a Billionaire soon :cool:

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And then you have come with this brilliant idea. I believe after the two rich leagues in India you will come up with a third one. Wow you will be a Billionaire soon :cool:
Thank you for the support. What other countries play Kabbadi? I'll send a few e-mails off and see what we come up with.