Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: World Series Hockey, an IPL style 3M$ / Year Push for Hockey in India

  1. #1
    U19 Captain
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    India
    Posts
    677

    World Series Hockey, an IPL style 3M$ / Year Push for Hockey in India

    Indian hockey could soon have a world league of its own on the lines of NBA. The first edition is set to be launched sometime in late 2011.

    The 'World Series Hockey' league will be an annual event and is being promoted by Nimbus Sports in association with the Indian Hockey Federation (IHF). The first edition will see the participation of 10 teams on a city-based franchise model -- they will play each other on home and away basis with the league culminating in a multi-header playoff. The 10-week long league will be broadcast live, both in India and across the world.

  2. #2
    U19 Captain
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    India
    Posts
    677
    Quote Originally Posted by jashan83 View Post
    Indian hockey could soon have a world league of its own on the lines of NBA. The first edition is set to be launched sometime in late 2011.

    The 'World Series Hockey' league will be an annual event and is being promoted by Nimbus Sports in association with the Indian Hockey Federation (IHF). The first edition will see the participation of 10 teams on a city-based franchise model -- they will play each other on home and away basis with the league culminating in a multi-header playoff. The 10-week long league will be broadcast live, both in India and across the world.
    The possible List of Cities are
    Delhi
    Mumbai
    Chennai
    Bangalore
    Hyderabad
    Chandigarh
    Jalandhar / Ludhiana
    Jaipur
    Pune
    Lucknow
    Kolkota
    Rourkela
    Ahmedabad

  3. #3
    Cricketer Of The Year Xuhaib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    9,506
    will Pakistani's get the gig or its an IPL style snub?

  4. #4
    U19 Captain
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    India
    Posts
    677
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib View Post
    will Pakistani's get the gig or its an IPL style snub?
    Pakistani players have expressed interest, even the marketing agency Nimbus has also expressed interest, but many Indians do not want this to happen until Pakistan does some action on Mumbai Attack Terrorists. I also go by that view.

    The decision is in the hands of Indian government.


  5. #5
    U19 Captain
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    India
    Posts
    677
    WSH has one problem going on. Nimbus has tied with IHF, which used to manage Hockey earlier and is recognized by government and owns all the stadiums, while Indian Hockey Team is managed by HI and also FIH recognizes HI. The decision on the legitimate body would be soon given by supreme court this month.

    On the good side all the Indian Team has already signed it. Also some foreign players have fallen in line. The updates will come slowly till the time tournament is near. The tournament would surely be Crackalacking.

    There also have been some attacking remarks by Pakistani players saying keep politics & sports aside, but while the 2 nations talk, Indians say let talk economic and Politics aside. If Economics comes before then let it be, but Pakistan says no, first politics then economics. The Pakistani's cannot talk the way things favour them.

  6. #6
    Cricketer Of The Year Xuhaib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    9,506
    is Hockey a popular enough sport to make this business model work remember ESPNSTAR started something similar few years back the I think the idea bombed big time.

  7. #7
    U19 Captain
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    India
    Posts
    677
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib View Post
    is Hockey a popular enough sport to make this business model work remember ESPNSTAR started something similar few years back the I think the idea bombed big time.
    Hockey has a decent enough following. It is the second most popular game after Cricket and Media covers it very happily. Even the news of WSH is having so much coverage even covered in Opinion segment of Times of India, largest news paper of India

    You are talking about PHL. It actually did decently. It was supposed to run 4 seasons and it did. It's sports kits also had a good enough sales in India. It had only one problem, all the matches were in one city only. Hence for a Pune V Chennai match there was nobody to watch it. WSH actually takes care of that. It has got excitement here locally. I am sure it will be a sure sure hit.

    Even a reflection of this is the full houses in the Hockey World Cup & Commonwealth games. Many people have interest and it also does not clash with IPL, the only possible danger
    Last edited by jashan83; 03-01-2011 at 09:58 AM.

  8. #8
    vcs
    vcs is offline
    International Coach vcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,305
    I liked the PHL, shame they stopped it.

  9. #9
    Hall of Fame Member Cevno's Avatar
    Simon Champion!
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    15,794
    PHL was a decent success tbf. It did not bomb.

    There were wrangles between the Hockey federation which was in crisis and ESPNSTAR which resulted in it being shut down.

  10. #10
    U19 Captain
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    India
    Posts
    677
    Quote Originally Posted by Cevno View Post
    PHL was a decent success tbf. It did not bomb.

    There were wrangles between the Hockey federation which was in crisis and ESPNSTAR which resulted in it being shut down.
    Well whoever suggested it had bombed surely had reflection of other factors. Yeah you are right. PHL never bombed. WSH has many of the elements which will not allow hegemony of few people. I hope IHF wins the case and HI is gone. Then it would be full throttle.

    The FIH is also like old times ICC when Australia and England calling all the shots. In FIH it is the European that call the shots.

  11. #11
    U19 Captain
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    India
    Posts
    677
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib View Post
    is Hockey a popular enough sport to make this business model work remember ESPNSTAR started something similar few years back the I think the idea bombed big time.
    Actually it did not Bomb at all Xuhaib. I have heard PHB is planning a new Hockey League either in Lahore or Dubai. Why Dubai. If they think people can follow Hocley in Dubai, then India surely is a much better place than Dubai

  12. #12
    Cricketer Of The Year Xuhaib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    9,506
    Quote Originally Posted by jashan83 View Post
    Actually it did not Bomb at all Xuhaib. I have heard PHB is planning a new Hockey League either in Lahore or Dubai. Why Dubai. If they think people can follow Hocley in Dubai, then India surely is a much better place than Dubai
    PHF I think have gone for an u-19 hockey league the idea behind is not to make profit but to nurture the new talent.

    Agree PHL was quite decent though some of the promos were really sad and cringeworthy.

  13. #13
    International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Posts
    14,392
    Let me know when the Kabbadi Premier League is in the offing. Would love to be able to watch Kabbadi on the goggle-box again.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.


    Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

  14. #14
    Cricketer Of The Year Xuhaib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    9,506
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    Let me know when the Kabbadi Premier League is in the offing. Would love to be able to watch Kabbadi on the goggle-box again.
    tbf would be a better spectacle then IPL.

  15. #15
    vcs
    vcs is offline
    International Coach vcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib View Post
    tbf would be a better spectacle then IPL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 20-20 World Series.
    By slugger in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-02-2010, 07:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •