• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Arsenal Football Thread Season

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Imagine Song was withdrawn for fitness reasons tbh, I imagine the plan was to take him off after 60 mins or so whatever the score.

I have faith that Arshavin will come good again, he's not a terrible player by any means, but he is badly out of sorts at the moment, and shouldn't be anywhere near the side. Nasri and Theo must be considered first choice for the forseeable future.

Edit: Time probably up for Rosicky as well, just doesn't have it anymore.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Arshavin just seems to not care anymore. That was abysmal from him today. Absolutely coasted through that game.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, not seen any player put in quite such a poor performance for a while. Really not often I'm sat there thinking "don't pass it to him ffs", I even have faith that Denilson will usually at least manage to bring the ball under control more often than not.

duffer

At least Denilson seemed to side pass the ball with authority today. Don't mean to harp on about Arshavin but in any American sport if you turned up to pre season that unfit you'd be suspended without pay untill you were fit enough. It was indefensible from the guy, he's either that unfit or that lazy.

duffer

On Bendtner, I feel a bit for him having to play a wide role for the most part this season. Any chances at goal he'll get from there are going to be in positions or at angles where he'll have trouble finishing them due to his technique. Needs to be more central, he was dangerous whenever was there and at least his work rate was good today.

duffer

Apparently, fans of the Russian team complain he tried a lot harder for Zenit and Arsenal than he does for Russia. Watching the game again did you see him charge off the field as soon as we made our sub?

Hilarious seeing him run towards the touch line look up at the board with a few yards left and then double take when he saw Chamakh's number was up? Not the first time he's done this, can exit stage left with Bentner and Vela asap. Hazard and Mert in.

duffer

Oh and Squillaci is also injured now. One Djourou injury or Koscielny red card away from Song at centre back and Denilson starting all the big games. Need defender now.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Hahaha love him myself, can see how he would anoy the hell out of me if he played for a side I supported but as a neutral he is just so much fun.
My hatred for him derives from the UEFA Cup final in 2008 tbh.

Fun piece of trivia: James McArthur (Wigan player who handled in the box) and Robert Snodgrass (Leeds penalty taker) are both ex-team-mates of my brother's at boy's club level.

Jarquis

Changes needed :
Change of attitude and change of personnel.

I love Arshavin but he epitomises what's wrong with this side, world beater one day and lethargic the next. For a long while it's been easy enough to make a case to defend him as he scores goals and gets assists but there's more to football than that and nights like tonight and Leeds are just inexcusable.
He's in no way the biggest problem though and this probably wasn't our worst performance. Sorry state of affairs.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Team has just hit a patch of poor form, coupled with what I said about certain players earlier on. Performance wasn't exactly awful but there was no cutting edge and generally very pedestrian. Biggest concern imo is that a team playing in the Champions League had their defence exposed repeatedly by a long ball of all things. Djourou looks decent enough when the ball is on the ground, but when it's coming over his head he's all over the shop.

duffer

arseblog.com has a twenty minute interview with Denilson. After watching it this guy can **** off asap. No value ingrate mother****ing****.

duffer

Looks like we got Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain wrapped up. Very promising player similar to Theo stylistically. What gives me a wee bit of hope is that this guy comes from a footballing family with his dad an ex England international so he should know and understand the game a lot bette rthan Theo does having been around it all of his life. Once again buying promise but there is a lot of stuff there that makes me think this could work out well for us. A supposed "in the know" claims Afobe and Aneke are at a similar level to him, so we seem to have a fair bit of English attacking talent at the club now.

If only we could buy some defender equivalents next time.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
So Vela to Wolves on loan. Probably a good deal for all involved tbh. Will give him a chance at some first team run outs, and will allow Arsenal to keep an eye on him in a team where his suitability for the Premiership can really be examined, will be interested to see how it goes.

In other more unfortunate news, I gather Almunia is back in the squad for the weekend's game. Will be annoying if Szczesny is booted out to make way for him, would be a bad move imo. No doubt I needn't explain why.