• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Arsenal Football Thread Season

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gents, heard that Almunia had a move lined up to Turkey or Russia but they had to pull the plug because Fabianski is still a month or so away and Mannone is at Hull which would've left us with Woj and James Shea at the club.

Would be well made up if we ended up with Chamberlain and Vrsaljko in the summer. Both awesome.

Jarquis

We managed to find a club to pay Almunia's wages? Wuuut!

Is Vrsjakdlfd the full back?

duffer

Yeah, he's really good too.

Ah Denilson, left for dead in the lead up for the red card. Aren't we glad we didn't buy a centre back now. Not buying a striker last season cost us any chance of silverware, now this ****. Couldn't make it up, yet they continue to patronise the fans. Ah, used to it now.

duffer

I think my hate for the guy is getting quite irrational now. I mean every time I start an fm game the first thing I do is transfer list the guy. Before reading my messages and everything.

What's more worrying for me is that our two first choice centre backs are really injury prone and both of our back ups (especially Squillacci) look dodgy as and we don't have a young prospect there anywhere close to being ready to help us.

Then there's Arshavin's recent losing of the plot.

edit: Really man, how did we not buy a defender this window?

Jarquis

"Because there was nobody available that was good value for the amount we were willing to spend" Is usually the excuse.

duffer

Disastrous game for us tbh. The drop off in quality from the first string to the backups is alarming. Red cards, timid performances all around and the our player of the season picking up an injury and apparently out for the Barca games.

Denilson ****ing disgraceful all game long, made to look a complete **** against Ipswich, Leeds and Huddersfield in the past month.

Brilliant save from Almunia though. Came up big for us today.

Jarquis

He could be out for the home leg but reckon he'll be back for the return trip.
Would've though Wenger might have realised that Squillaci-Koscielny with Almunia in goal is the worse defensive trio we've played this season yet he still went with it today.
Need to get Diaby fit and where was JW19 today?

duffer

We have Everton in two days, can't complain with the team he put out, but the lack of quality is worrying. Squad is looking thinner as the season goes on, just like every season.

Jarquis

We have Everton in two days, can't complain with the team he put out, but the lack of quality is worrying. Squad is looking thinner as the season goes on, just like every season.
Don't feel that Wojciech would've been too tired with playing 2 games in 3 days. The fact is that Squillaci-Koscielny is the only CB pairing we have atm. Which links in with your second point.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
"Because there was nobody available that was good value for the amount we were willing to spend" Is usually the excuse.
Tbh, providing that it's true then that's perfectly good reasoning imo. Team won't go anywhere if average players are brought in at inflated prices.

duffer

Looks like Fabianski needs surgery and could be done for most of the season(if not all). Well, we wanted Wojciech to get his shot and now he's got it. Disappointed for Lukasz though, as much as I thought he was the second best Pole at the club I was really happy to see him turn it around like he has this season. Really gutted for him.

Jarquis

Yeah, had finally started delivering on whatever potential Wenger saw in him.
Wojciech - your time is now.

duffer

Not sure what to think of Koscielny, some days he looks like a young Blanc and other days he looks lost at sea. I think he and Squillacci together is just not working, because he has looked good whenever paired with Djourou. Need to remember he was brought in as understudy to Vermaelen and it's only his second top flight season but he really could go either way. Undoubtedly talented though, and a good spot by Arsene.

Great great win though. Can't remember the last time I swore that much during a game after that Saha goal and the atmosphere at the ground seemed insanely good. David Moyes can gagf too. Everton played that game dirty as ****, so for him to complain about a Cesc tackle and swearing at the ref? Heh, Moyesey **** off man.

Great win, good to see Arshavin finding himself again, we need him bad now that Nasri is injured. Onwards and upwards then eh, smash these Geordies now.

Jarquis

Yeah, have said countless times that Koscielny and Squillaci just doesn't work and it's not LK that's the problem.
His reading of the game is superb, just needs to stop walking into people/elbows and making himself concussed. 2 or 3 goals we've conceded where he's been spinning around dazed. All have come from being partnered with Squillaci, they just don't work.
He'll still improve IMO but as it stands he and Djourou are battling to be Vermaelen's full time partner when he gets back from injury (whenever that is).

Thought the refereeing was ****. Seemed impossible for an Everton player to be booked/penalised. Was a joke.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Koscienly is clearly of the right ilk imo, seems to have the nouse to make it as a top flight player, he has a good technique and ability doesn't seem to be much of a stumbling block for him either. I would say if he keeps developing at the same rate he has been so far over the next year or so he'll turn out pretty well. Djourou has been solid enough as well, at worst I would say he is a dependable backup, if he can muster up the drive then he and Koscielny should be able to provide really decent competition to be Vermaelen's partner in the future, could be quite a formiddable partnership potentially. Just need to sort Clichy out and get some decent cover for Alex Song. And hope that Szczęsny isn't flattering to deceive of course (which I don't imagine he is FTR haha).