• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Arsenal Football Thread Season

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Our entire pre-season should be spent on coaching how to play team defence and defending set pieces. Highest ratio of goals conceded to set pieces? Not a new problem. Tippy-tappy-tippy-tappy-tippy-tappy all around the penalty area, lose the ball and oh **** a counter attack, what do we do again? Not a new problem. Honestly, sort this **** out or if they have tried and the players aren't listening turn them over.

Oh my god, we're going to have another season of this **** aren't we?

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I feel that the size of the Arsenal defenders has something to do with their inability to defend set pieces. Any chance that's correct?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I feel that the size of the Arsenal defenders has something to do with their inability to defend set pieces. Any chance that's correct?
No.

Barcelona rarely concede from set pieces, and Pique, Abidal and Busquets aside, they're a team of midgets.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Puyol, Pique, Abidal and Alves are physically very strong imo. Certainly a lot more dominating than Arsenal's back four.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Puyol, Pique, Abidal and Alves are physically very strong imo. Certainly a lot more dominating than Arsenal's back four.
This is true.

I'm not convinced Alves is 100% human. Guy's an absolute machine.

Barcelona are a special case though, they're probably the finest defensive unit on the continent, but never really get thought of as such because how they go about defending is so vastly different from everyone else.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Has more to do with the fact that most of the time at least 50% of the backline is crap imo. In this regard I am thinking particularly of Clichy and Squillaci. Djourou also seems to be continually caught out by the long ball over the top as well, which is odd given his size and effectiveness in the air. Have missed Vermaelen a hell of a lot this year.

duffer

We could have Yao Ming in our penalty box and not win a header. No organisation or responsibility to be found with our lot.

duffer

From Pyles' pos blog:

If every shot that hit the post (for all the teams in the EPL) had gone in, Arsenal would already have been crowned champions this season, with 86 points after 35 matches, Chelsea second with 74, and Manu third with 73.

As frustrating as it has been to fall down over the same old weaknesses we have been a tad unlucky this season.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
There were a couple of poor decisions but Arse just weren't at the races today. Can see Citeh pipping you lot to 3rd.

Big decisions need making this summer, top 4 place will be in jeapordy.

duffer

From what I've heard the crowd were absolutely brutal during the last game. Like Arsene's never heard before. Some of the chants were pretty funny though (6%, referring to the ticket price rise) but some were just plain ****y ("We want our Arsenal back" - oh please, **** off). But yeah, some stuff was audible even on tele and it has to change. If he sticks to the status quo they will be unforgiving next season. If we drop out of the top 4 as a result Wenger will walk. Now or never really.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Opposite to Liverpool. The fans for the most part wanted Benitez and everybody outside thought he wasn't good enough. Arsenal fans seem to not want Wenger but everybody outside still think he is the right guy.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Arsenal midfielder Denilson demands move after 'worst season' of his career | Mail Online

Denilson Demands Move From Arsenal!

Denilson yesterday said he wanted to leave Arsenal after the 'worst season' of his career.

The midfielder, 23, who is flying home to Brazil after Sunday's match with Fulham, blamed his frustration on the club's six-year trophy drought, saying: 'I am so upset. I am a winner and I came here to win trophies but I've been here for five years and won nothing.

A footballer's career is over very quickly so it is time for me to move on. This has been the worst season of my life.

'I made up my mind eight months ago. But I haven't said anything because I did not want to disrupt the team during the season.

'I've been to see Arsene Wenger and told him how I felt and he agreed to let me go. I know some people will think I'm crazy. They are right. It is a great club, with a great organisation, a great manager and so many talented players. I need a fresh challenge and although I'm taking a big gamble, I'm ready to take that risk.'

Wenger has vowed to fight to keep Cesc Fabregas after new stories in the Spanish press linked him to Barcelona.

Arsenal midfielder Denilson demands move after 'worst season' of his career | Mail Online

With Fabregas already coming out and criticising Wenger and not winning anything and now this there could be a pattern emerging.

duffer

Honestly, I'll fly over to London, rent a car, pick this guy up from his house, drive him to Heathrow and see him through the gates just to make sure he ****s off.

duffer

**** I hate this guy so much, if we can sell him and Diaby this summer I'll throw a party to celebrate.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
What's the situation with Fabregas ?

He came out and criticised Wenger a couple of weeks ago and though Wenger is now saying that he will fight to keep him ,i guess it all depends on how interested Barca are in signing him in the summer and whether they are going to pay near his price.