• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Arsenal Football Thread Season

BoyBrumby

Englishman
This thread is quiet today.
If you listen carefully I think you can hear the sound of smug ****s gloating.

I'm so over football just now. It's ****ing depressing when your side has been playing Groundhog Season for six bastard years.

It's not like it's a secret what we need either. Come on, we all know the words: world class keeper, centre-half and centre-forward.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
If you listen carefully I think you can hear the sound of smug ****s gloating.

I'm so over football just now. It's ****ing depressing when your side has been playing Groundhog Season for six bastard years.

It's not like it's a secret what we need either. Come on, we all know the words: world class keeper, centre-half and centre-forward.
If only Arsenal had a stable, long term manager who would surely have identified such problems...

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, there are loads of better managers than Wenger out there that are willing to come to Arsenal. I was just reading about them in Marvel the other day.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Uppercut 1 - 0 GF

Van Persie is quality so not overly convinced a CF is of complete necessity. A change to 4-4-2 means we instantly lose one of Song, Fabregas or Wilshere. Plus it means shifting Nasri into a more traditional winger role where he's not effective. It also means Walcott is forced into becoming a striker and Ramsey falls way back in the pecking order.
I'm not sold on that completely.... yet :/

duffer

Biggest issue for me isn't the manager won't do anything to fill the holes in the squad (heh, just so used to it now) it's that a lot of our underachievers are unsellable. We couldn't even move Traore because of the wages he's on so how are we going to sell the likes of Denilson, Diaby, Eboue, Bendtner and Chamakh who are all on insane wages?

This is going to be the problem for whoever comes in to manage the team next season. Been saying it for years, you coddle these young players all the way through their development and pay them big money before they've achieved anything and you create this sort of self entitled, low determination, highly overrated squad.

Also, no matter which defenders we buy (if we buy) nothing's going to change untill we have a manager who bothers to coach them anything about defensive organisation. 56% of our goals conceded from set pieces. Heh, and they talk about winning trophies.

For all Arsene and the former board have done for us, they've created a situation under which if they want to get out of this trophyless streak , they'll have to spend their way out, be it on transfer fees, wages and having to buy out current players they need to move on so they can comply with the 25 player rules. Get ready for a few more seasons of this unless there happens to be a Thierry Henry and Tony Adams somewhere in our youth teams.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Van Persie is quality so not overly convinced a CF is of complete necessity. A change to 4-4-2 means we instantly lose one of Song, Fabregas or Wilshere. Plus it means shifting Nasri into a more traditional winger role where he's not effective. It also means Walcott is forced into becoming a striker and Ramsey falls way back in the pecking order.
He is made of paper tho, so a more resilient player would be nice.

duffer

Numbers wise we have enough forwards. As far as overall quality and reliability of these players go we're not even close. However there are far more pressing concerns so I can't really complain if we line up with the same crew up front next season.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Uppercut 1 - 0 GF

Van Persie is quality but has never played more than 28 games in a league season for Arsenal.

There's little use in having such a quality player who is almost guaranteed to miss half the season, every season.

Jarquis

28 is practically 75%. Only twice has he ever missed more than half of the season. There's also the fact he has every chance of having his best ever season for the club, makes no sense to sell him IMO. One of the few players who actually gives a **** about the club and when fit he's absolutely incredible.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I kind of agree with GF's point on the whole though. Another quality forward would make Arsenal far better IMO. If Van Persie is fit and firing, great - more competition. If he isn't, you have options. This might be out there, but I reckon if you guys could take Drogba from Chelsea you would help yourselves big time. Big physical player, lots of goals, and a winning mentality. He also has this Henry-esque habit of drifting wide and play-making which is great for a team like Arsenal whose midfielders generally make very good runs towards the box.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
28 is practically 75%. Only twice has he ever missed more than half of the season. There's also the fact he has every chance of having his best ever season for the club, makes no sense to sell him IMO. One of the few players who actually gives a **** about the club and when fit he's absolutely incredible.
He averages 22 games a season. That's useless for your first choice forward.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Sympathise with what Marcuss is saying here, but largely agree with everyone else that another quality centre forward is needed, competition/depth is never going to be a bad thing, particularly with Robin's bill of personal health being a rather dubious topic.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
IMO no matter how talented a player is, if he's regularly missing 10+ games a season through injury then you can't regard him as a first choice squad member.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Given the alternatives in the current squad I would have to disagree, albeit it reluctantly.
Well yeah, I'm acting on the crazy assumption that Wenger spots this massive weakness in his squad and buys a striker who'll be a first pick.

Fernando Llorente please.