• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's 2022 World Cup Bid

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
FTR, I'm not completely against the idea of a winter World Cup. Though preferably I'd prefer them in the summer. But Qatar won the rights to a June/Jly WC and it's a joke that only 4 years later the people in charge have gone "hold on, that might not work". It's like winning a summer Olympics then realising the country isn't suitable and holding a Winter Olympics instead.

Guess the European leagues will have to do a early August to late June season with the World Cup coming as the winter break for places like Germany. Will probably have consequences on the leagues scheduling for three seasons in a row.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
FTR, I'm not completely against the idea of a winter World Cup. Though preferably I'd prefer them in the summer. But Qatar won the rights to a June/Jly WC and it's a joke that only 4 years later the people in charge have gone "hold on, that might not work". It's like winning a summer Olympics then realising the country isn't suitable and holding a Winter Olympics instead.

Guess the European leagues will have to do a early August to late June season with the World Cup coming as the winter break for places like Germany. Will probably have consequences on the leagues scheduling for three seasons in a row.
I wonder what will happen with the lower leagues

We'll be in the prem then though

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I wonder what will happen with the lower leagues

We'll be in the prem then though
Saw it suggested they could go ahead as usual and benefit from the two months of no prem. probably makes more sense than shifting them.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I cant wait for the ****storm when we end up with a CWC in the summer and the IPL kicks up a fuss.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Saw it suggested they could go ahead as usual and benefit from the two months of no prem. probably makes more sense than shifting them.
Depending on the kick-off times of the WC matches, it could be a blessing or a disaster. Though it's not uncommon for kick-off times to change on international weekends so there would be plenty of times to plan it in advance. Otherwise though, could be a big booster in attendances with local Prem fans bored at having no footy to go and see.

I cant wait for the ****storm when we end up with a CWC in the summer and the IPL kicks up a fuss.
next wc then

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
The English international calendar has already caused a big fuss with IPL stuff and we've even had to play less competitive test summers and change schedules because of it, so.

Depending on the kick-off times of the WC matches, it could be a blessing or a disaster. Though it's not uncommon for kick-off times to change on international weekends so there would be plenty of times to plan it in advance. Otherwise though, could be a big booster in attendances with local Prem fans bored at having no footy to go and see.
Games in Qatar will be morning and afternoon in the UK (assuming they don't go crazy with local kick off times), so late afternoons and evening games would work really well.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The English international calendar has already caused a big fuss with IPL stuff and we've even had to play less competitive test summers and change schedules because of it, so.

Games in Qatar will be morning and afternoon in the UK (assuming they don't go crazy with local kick off times), so late afternoons and evening games would work really well.
Morning games will suck given the 3 hour time difference, bah. But yeah agreed.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I mean they'll be morning for us because of the time difference. But really I'm just assuming they go for afternoon and evening games in Qatar, I don't know what they'll actually do. I tend to forget that the middle east is quite a lot closer to us than the sub continent though, so I probably overstated the effect the time difference would have.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I mean they'll be morning for us because of the time difference. But really I'm just assuming they go for afternoon and evening games in Qatar, I don't know what they'll actually do. I tend to forget that the middle east is quite a lot closer to us than the sub continent though, so I probably overstated the effect the time difference would have.
Ah I get ya. Given the climate, even if November and December, you'd think evening games over there would make sense

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The English reaction to the winter World Cup was embarrassingly self-important. It's the least objectionable thing about the tournament.

I don't really get why the Russia World Cup gets such a free pass from the media though.