• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Underrated sports

Xuhaib

International Coach
Field hockey for me.A quick paced game which requires equally a lot of physical skills aswell as ball playing skills infact watching pure Asian style hockey match is one the most pleasurable sights in sports.

i guess cricket dominance is sub cont and Football dominance in Europe never allowed it to get in the main spotlight in those countries where it is played at a high leval..

thierry henry

International Coach
Rugby league by far the most underrated sport on earth

Like rugby union but with about 1,000,000 ridiculous aspects of union removed to create a clear, coherent game that is ideal for spectators. And yet Union is by far the more internationally popular sport.:huh:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Aussie Rules Football.

The world doesn't know what they're missing.
Suspect it doesn't translate to telly all that well. Given the lack of an offside law and the size of the playing area my guess is one misses a lot of what goes on.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Squash. Phenomenally fun game that can be played all year round.
was mainly referring to from audience angle played squash regularly 7-8 years and even competed at regional level but even I admit its one of the most bland sport to watch.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I love watching track cycling and think it's somewhat underrated. Such a tactical sport, you see crashes, and heaps of come from behind wins, excellent viewing.

In some parts of the world it's obviously a big sport, but I think it should have a higher following than ****ing swimming at the Comm Games.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
was mainly referring to from audience angle played squash regularly 7-8 years and even competed at regional level but even I admit its one of the most bland sport to watch.
Yeah that's true. I think it's underrated as a sport precisely because it doesn't translate well to TV.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Speedway.

Finest motorsport out there.
If by speedway you mean dirt track racing (stockcars, midgets, etc.) I fully agree - have never discussed it on the board because there doesn't seem to be any interest but I actually love the sport.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
If by speedway you mean dirt track racing (stockcars, midgets, etc.) I fully agree - have never discussed it on the board because there doesn't seem to be any interest but I actually love the sport.
I meant motorcycle speedway, actually. The 500cc no-brake variety. Requires serious balls of steal to gun a bike round a hairpin at 70mph with no brakes.

IIRC DCYE's dad used to race.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I meant motorcycle speedway, actually. The 500cc no-brake variety. Requires serious balls of steal to gun a bike round a hairpin at 70mph with no brakes.

IIRC DCYE's dad used to race.
Oh right - an equally fine sport. Didn't realise that about DCYE.

For those wondering about stockcars, heres a clip of some of the action from the annual Superstock Teams Champs: YouTube - Superstocks Teams Champs Greatest Hits - obviously those are highlights of some of the big hits so don't get the idea that drivers are just smashing each other lap after lap (there is a skill to running and winning races), but its a great sport to watch nonetheless.

vcs

Volleyball. Terrific athleticism, brilliant to watch teams like Brazil, Italy etc. I wish I could see more of it.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Rugby league by far the most underrated sport on earth
This.

Just on AFL I think the only reason you could say it's underrated is because most of the world doesn't know about it. The south of this country rates it pretty highly in-case you haven't noticed ;)

Daemon

Off topic but..

Don't you guys think F1 is ridiculously overrated? I mean, a handful of people actually take part in the 'sport' and we have no idea whether they are even the best at what they do because of the lack of opportunity for anyone to try it out.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I went to see the Falcons when Ivan Mauger was there. I'm against it, cinders FTL.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Think league doesn't get the attention it deserves because anything that's popular with both Yorkshiremen and Queenslanders is (rightly) view with suspicion. :ph34r:

Nah, lot of factors mitigate against it, but two main ones are the lack of depth to international game & the fact it's still the poor relation to union. As union is (still) the posh code (in UK certainly) there's a lot of power and money behind it still.

vcs

Off topic but..

Don't you guys think F1 is ridiculously overrated? I mean, a handful of people actually take part in the 'sport' and we have no idea whether they are even the best at what they do because of the lack of opportunity for anyone to try it out.
Absolutely. Only for automobile engineers/experts/geeks IMO.