• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Underrated sports

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, hurling's a good shout. The few Youtube videos I've seen of it look ****ing intense, would be keen to actually have the chance to watch it.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Tbf the scrum is pretty spectator friendly because it creates a lot of space to play good rugby in. Rugby league can get very congested imo. And stop/start. The concept of fast ball can't really exist.
I watch union and I think it's far more stop/start. The ball is regularly being kicked out or to an opposing player. Mauls can often go on for long periods of time. Scrums take forever. League regularly goes for 10 minutes without a break in play.

Scrums in league give you the same amount of space. Not saying they don't increase the space you have to play with in union, but it's not a product of them being contested. Mauls are another matter, but without them union would have far less space due to the extra players on the field.

That said I don't mind watching a good game of union. Emphasis on good.

Not sure what you mean by fast ball, or how league is played in the northern hemisphere, but in Aus the two referees have sped up the ruck noticeably. Players get off the tackled man quicker (generally). This gives the big guys less time to get onside, giving the attacking team more gaps both in the middle and out wide, and much faster game overall.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I watch union and I think it's far more stop/start. The ball is regularly being kicked out or to an opposing player. Mauls can often go on for long periods of time. Scrums take forever. League regularly goes for 10 minutes without a break in play.
There's a break in play every time someone gets tackled?

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
Underrated: Personally I think athletics and the track events are pretty good to watch, especially at the Olympic games.

Overrated: AFL for sure.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
Just don't really find it that exciting and I've just never really been into it. All that commotion going on around in the ruck bores me, eg: The ball going everywhere, the fumbles and the droped catches all the time.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Ice hockey one for mine. Combines, a ridiculous amount of skill with real physical intensity and a really fast and non-stop game. Pure awesomeness.

Chubb

International Regular
Since I started playing field hockey I've really enjoyed it. It's a great sport, so hard (especially if you're left handed, I find), but so rewarding. You also risk some serious injuries playing even at a minor level.

Hockey doesn't make the best spectacle on TV because the camera is too far away. If you watch at ground level next to the pitch you get a real feel for the demands and the skill of players.

I love playing squash, and I admire the skill and athleticism of the players, but I don't want to watch it.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
One of the things I'd least like to do in sports is be one of the guys running out of the goals in a penalty corner.

ripper868

International Coach
I watch union and I think it's far more stop/start. The ball is regularly being kicked out or to an opposing player.
Clearly watching too much of the Northern Hemisphere stuff, if you had a gander at the Tri-nations this year i think you'd find there was more kicking in league than in union.

Jus sayin :)

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Clearly watching too much of the Northern Hemisphere stuff, if you had a gander at the Tri-nations this year i think you'd find there was more kicking in league than in union.
I refer you to exhibit A :)

That said I don't mind watching a good game of union. Emphasis on good.
I think the worst matches of any sport will be pretty poor watching.

PS: Your avatar makes my mouth water :drool:

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Must admit, I always enjoy watching a bit of diving. Generally restrict myself to Olympics only, but there are some heats on at the Comm. Games at the moment.

Spudsy2061

U19 Cricketer
Curling, Ice Hockey, and anything in the Olympics part from Synchronized Swimming and Equestrian (which is less of a joke than say Synchronized Swimming than it is more of a specific crowd of followers).

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Curling has a pretty good percentage of hot athletes. Like female bodybuilding has zero percent of hot athletes in it, but man curling. I would show you guys this awesome thread with pictures of heaps of hot curling athletes in it, but the ads have naked women in them so I can't, but yeah, curling's great to watch.