• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Underrated sports

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Archery. Watching it on TV yesterday made me want to take it up. Cycling can be pretty gun to watch as well, especially the track stuff.

A lot of sports, though, depends on who is playing. Watching the Comm games I found that two good ping-pong players battling it out is pretty entertaining but much less if it's good vs clearly-not-as-good.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Rowing. Takes 6-9 minutes but if there are a few mid-race moves, it's riveting, and it's clear how much they put into it by the exhaustion at the end of the race.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A lot of continental & in particular former communist Yurp goes divvy for it, so definitely woudn't say it's underrated. It's just (correctly) ignored in most Anglophone countries except the US & Canada.

I'd actually say basketball and football are the most overrated sports, actually.
AWTA.z

_Ed_

Rowing. Takes 6-9 minutes but if there are a few mid-race moves, it's riveting, and it's clear how much they put into it by the exhaustion at the end of the race.
And we're ****ing awesome at it. :cool:

But yeah, always find it really fascinating to watch. The eights are spectacular.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
AWTA - actually was just thinking a couple of days ago that given how successful we've been in the sport its a shame its not at Commonwealth Games!

thierry henry

International Coach
Nah, lot of factors mitigate against it, but two main ones are the lack of depth to international game & the fact it's still the poor relation to union. As union is (still) the posh code (in UK certainly) there's a lot of power and money behind it still.
yeah and that's precisely why it pretty much defines "underrated sport". The actual sport itself is fantastic and external factors (cultural factors, money etc) hold it back while sports that are downright silly by comparison are more popular.

thierry henry

International Coach
Contest a scrum rather than having a big group hug and then we'll talk
The emphasis on something as time consuming and uninteresting and un-spectator friendly as a scrum is one of the biggest weak points about rugby.

I don't see how anyone could argue that it's better to watch a scrum than to watch free-flowing running/passing/tackling etc.

Of course a Union fan will argue this point all day, but the "contest for the ball" areas in Union are what make the game pretty much diabolically unwatchable imo. Just a shambles, and a time-consuming shambles at that.

Don't get me wrong, I understand there is skill involved, but it's simply not skill that is as watchable as the distilled essence of the game, i.e. passing/running/tackling. League for me is the distillation of the enjoyable parts of "rugby", the bits that people actually want to watch.

But as someone who is happy enough to watch a game of league if it's on TV, I don't think you can say it's underrated, given its popularity in NSW and QLD. You're always going to get people who don't like it, just like there would be (maybe) Victorians that don't like AFL and Indians who don't like cricket, but it's rated pretty highly by a lot of people around that eastern coast.
Yes but union is much bigger internationally (although still not nearly as big as it thinks it is).

Uppercut

Tbf the scrum is pretty spectator friendly because it creates a lot of space to play good rugby in. Rugby league can get very congested imo. And stop/start. The concept of fast ball can't really exist.

I actually think union is the best sport out there (although it's not my favourite). There's much fewer periods of nothing happening than in most other sports and you tend to get a lot more exciting matches than in something like football. I guess a big problem with it in terms of popularity is that it doesn't give lesser sides a chance. Massive upsets are barely conceivable.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
The emphasis on something as time consuming and uninteresting and un-spectator friendly as a scrum is one of the biggest weak points about rugby.

I don't see how anyone could argue that it's better to watch a scrum than to watch free-flowing running/passing/tackling etc.
As a union fan I'm not going to argue that scrum resets are still a blight on the game, even with constant attempts to reduce the number of collapses. I still think they're a crucial element to the sport though and I certainly wouldn't be advocating to remove or de-emphasise scrums from the game - could you imagine the fatigue of the players if, say, quick taps were permitted for knock-ons? That'd reduce the quality rather than enhance it with players completely knackered early into games and it'd almost turn the game into a 7's match with 15 backs.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
League is so repetitive and mindless - Here, we'll run it up 5 times. Oh, we couldn't score? Here's a kick. Your turn now.

Uppercut

And cricket is even more formulaic than either, if we're honest.

The more I think about it the less it seems that there's any decent logic behind which sports I like and which I don't.

Spikey

And with that post I'll have to say Hurling + Garlic football. I mean I've only seen youtube videos of them, but **** they're great to watch.

Spikey

i wasn't sure about the spelling so I googled it. they didn't tell me I was wrong. their fault imo.