Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Underrated sports

Quote Originally Posted by thierry henry View Post
    Rugby league by far the most underrated sport on earth
    This.

Just on AFL I think the only reason you could say it's underrated is because most of the world doesn't know about it. The south of this country rates it pretty highly in-case you haven't noticed
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZwgu8_b0Vw

RIP Craig

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Off topic but..

Don't you guys think F1 is ridiculously overrated? I mean, a handful of people actually take part in the 'sport' and we have no idea whether they are even the best at what they do because of the lack of opportunity for anyone to try it out.

I went to see the Falcons when Ivan Mauger was there. I'm against it, cinders FTL.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Think league doesn't get the attention it deserves because anything that's popular with both Yorkshiremen and Queenslanders is (rightly) view with suspicion.

Nah, lot of factors mitigate against it, but two main ones are the lack of depth to international game & the fact it's still the poor relation to union. As union is (still) the posh code (in UK certainly) there's a lot of power and money behind it still.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

vcs
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Off topic but..

Don't you guys think F1 is ridiculously overrated? I mean, a handful of people actually take part in the 'sport' and we have no idea whether they are even the best at what they do because of the lack of opportunity for anyone to try it out.
    Absolutely. Only for automobile engineers/experts/geeks IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    I went to see the Falcons when Ivan Mauger was there. I'm against it, cinders FTL.
    Pfft. Man up.

Used to have a clip board that I used to hold my program as I dutifully kept score on, which was handy for deflecting shale that came my way.

There was a lad who rode for Mildenhall for a season who we signed from the Falcons. Michael Coles. Still lived down in Exeter so had a hell of a round trip for home meetings.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Football

WC forum showed there are people who don't like/understand it, therefore its underrated
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricketer Of The Year SirBloody Idiot's Avatar
    Darts.

Can't believe how good viewing it is.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Nah, lot of factors mitigate against it, but two main ones are the lack of depth to international game & the fact it's still the poor relation to union. As union is (still) the posh code (in UK certainly) there's a lot of power and money behind it still.
    Mmm I see it slightly differently. While all those factors don't help, I think league is underrated even in places where it is supposedly the dominant code. (eg the Australian eastern seaboard) People watch a game of league, even a couple of games of league and all they see are big guys running at each other. I've had countless arguments with people who have only watched the odd game and see it as a skilless game for thugs, but good league teams owe far more to teamwork, speed, stamina and skill with the ball than people give it credit for. I never hear the same things said about Football, Aussie Rules, Tennis etc, hence I see it as underrated. Same would go for union I would imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    Mmm I see it slightly differently. While all those factors don't help, I think league is underrated even in places where it is supposedly the dominant code. (eg the Australian eastern seaboard) People watch a game of league, even a couple of games of league and all they see are big guys running at each other. I've had countless arguments with people who have only watched the odd game and see it as a skilless game for thugs, but good league teams owe far more to teamwork, speed, stamina and skill with the ball than people give it credit for. I never hear the same things said about Football, Aussie Rules, Tennis etc, hence I see it as underrated. Same would go for union I would imagine.
    I think, because possession is (pretty much) uncontested nowadays league can give the impression of a bit of a sameness sometimes, especially to the uninitiated.

But agree it's dismissed as a game for meatheads on occasions too; amongst the posher corners of union it's still sometimes styled as "the ruffians' code".

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    But agree it's dismissed as a game for meatheads on occasions too; amongst the posher corners of union it's still sometimes styled as "the ruffians' code".
    Bah, just because criminals excel at it

Actually I'd put cricket in the underrated category tbh, specifically test cricket. I've had similar sorts of arguments with people calling cricket boring, like watching grass grow etc. Obviously not a view shared with many around these parts, but even in Australia it's a hard sport for alot of people to get into.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Contest a scrum rather than having a big group hug and then we'll talk.

But as someone who is happy enough to watch a game of league if it's on TV, I don't think you can say it's underrated, given its popularity in NSW and QLD. You're always going to get people who don't like it, just like there would be (maybe) Victorians that don't like AFL and Indians who don't like cricket, but it's rated pretty highly by a lot of people around that eastern coast.
    Last edited by andyc; 10-10-2010 at 07:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    Bah, just because criminals excel at it

Actually I'd put cricket in the underrated category tbh, specifically test cricket. I've had similar sorts of arguments with people calling cricket boring, like watching grass grow etc. Obviously not a view shared with many around these parts, but even in Australia it's a hard sport for alot of people to get into.
    I think cricket is a sport where the only followers are those that have either played the game, or have known the game since a young age.

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    Contest a try rather than having a big group hug and then we'll talk.

But as someone who is happy enough to watch a game of league if it's on TV, I don't think you can say it's underrated, given its popularity in NSW and QLD. You're always going to get people who don't like it, just like there would be (maybe) Victorians that don't like AFL and Indians who don't like cricket, but it's rated pretty highly by a lot of people around that eastern coast.
    Think you meant to say scrum there candy...

But yeah, the thing that pulls league down in my eyes is the contest for the ball, especially at scrum time, why not just take a tap if your only going to roll it under the props outside foot. But def not an underrated sport in aus, if anything i'd say union is more underrated locally.
    Parmi

Avatar now by choice. 5-0 in the Ashes and all.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Haha wowzers, how did that happen? Duly edited.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information