• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

National Hockey League Thread

Molehill

International Captain
Not sure if this has made the news elsewhere, but a terrible incident in an Ice Hockey match in England where an American player called Adam Johnson died after being caught in the neck by a skate. The other player has now been charged with manslaughter. I profess to knowing very little about this sport, but it seems it's caused quite a division between fans over whether this was a sporting incident or a serious attempt to injure an opposition player.

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
Not sure if this has made the news elsewhere, but a terrible incident in an Ice Hockey match in England where an American player called Adam Johnson died after being caught in the neck by a skate. The other player has now been charged with manslaughter. I profess to knowing very little about this sport, but it seems it's caused quite a division between fans over whether this was a sporting incident or a serious attempt to injure an opposition player.
It'd being discussed in the news thread ss the player involved has been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter.

Molehill

International Captain
This keeps on coming up on my X feed at the mo. I had no idea that players are allowed to just take their gloves off and have a fight with each other and the refs just let them get on with it. What is the punishment for this? Red card or a couple of mins in the sin bin?

ripper868

International Coach
5 Minutes for each player in the penalty box. Depending on situation of the fight, possible match penalty (e.g out for the rest of that game) for the instigator.

But yeah, Ice Hockey is awesome - pick a team and enjoy the ride!

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
further to ripper it's also only allowed in the NHL, in Europe they get match penalties and suspensions (and iirc in the NHL both fighters get the same penalty doesn't matter who started it unless it's really blatant assault)

ripper868

International Coach
further to ripper it's also only allowed in the NHL, in Europe they get match penalties and suspensions (and iirc in the NHL both fighters get the same penalty doesn't matter who started it unless it's really blatant assault)
It's usually the same penalty if both players drop the gloves, if only one guy drops them, the starts the fight, essentially forcing the other guy to fight, the guy who dropped gloves first will get a match penalty, while the guy that got jumped will get 5 minutes and can (usually) then return. I think anyway, I'm by no means an expert.

Am a semi-avid New York Rangers fan after attending a play-off game back in 2013 (have also been to a Kings and Blackhawks game, also both playoffs).

I just like that it's fast, physical, skilful, violent at times, and the mic'd up stuff is high quality at times as well.

hard to watch on tv though, puck hard to follow, one of those sports that is way better live.

Molehill

International Captain
It's usually the same penalty if both players drop the gloves, if only one guy drops them, the starts the fight, essentially forcing the other guy to fight, the guy who dropped gloves first will get a match penalty, while the guy that got jumped will get 5 minutes and can (usually) then return. I think anyway, I'm by no means an expert.

Am a semi-avid New York Rangers fan after attending a play-off game back in 2013 (have also been to a Kings and Blackhawks game, also both playoffs).

I just like that it's fast, physical, skilful, violent at times, and the mic'd up stuff is high quality at times as well.

hard to watch on tv though, puck hard to follow, one of those sports that is way better live.
What happens if one guy drops the gloves and the other basically says 'no thanks'? Does that ever happen or is it a bad look?

ripper868

International Coach
What happens if one guy drops the gloves and the other basically says 'no thanks'? Does that ever happen or is it a bad look?
I'm sure it happens, I think in that instance the dude dropping the gloves can get a 2 minute penalty and the guy who ignored it is sent to hockey gulag for the rest of their career.