• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

National Hockey League Thread

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah - quite the thrashing. Don;t think any of the other three teams stands much of a chance.
DWTA

Tbh, as much as I love the Canucks and want them to win, as they are my 2nd team after Toronto Maple Leafs (who haven't exactly lived up to the hype since the lockout), they could very well lose this or in the finals.

The number one reason for that is simple, way too many European players in the team. They lack the toughness that is needed for NHL playoff hockey to go all the way in winning the Cup. It's quite simple really, you need the tough style of play in the playoffs that only Canadian and American players can provide. The fancy, artistic play that Europeans are so skilled at is all good in the regular season, but won't cut it past that.

So don't be surprised if they don't win the cup. But if they do win, I'll be throwing a party and you're invited :p
A whole two more European players on the roster than the Bruins (who are the decond best team for my money) sure will hurt the Canucks...
I'm guessing you were being sarcastic here. :p If so...

Bruins are a bigger and more physical team than Tampa Bay, with guys like Milan Lucic (Canadian) who deliver hard. Bruins are an exception. On the other hand, not many, if any at all, in the Canucks lineup really stand out for their physicality.
But the Wings also had guys like Shanahan and Yzerman (once again, Canadians) leading the pack. I'm not saying Europeans such as Lidstrom or Federov aren't valuable, all I'm saying is more often than not you need the hard hitting presence of North American players in the lineup if you want to be successful past the regular season.

Just take a look at the last two seasons, for example. Chicago won with a majority of Canadians in the lineup beating the Canucks in the conference final, under Toews' leadership. Year before that, Penguins won with a majority of North American players beating the European heavy Wings' lineup, and once again under the leadership of none other than Crosby.

Once again, I am not saying the European players aren't important to the team, guys like Lidstrom and Forsberg are legends. All I'm saying is that, in general, in the playoffs you need the strong physical presence and to exploit the soft style of play Europeans are accustomed to if you want to go all the way, more often than not.

EDIT: Oh and of course you don't mean to say North American players aren't skilled enough. There's a reason why Canada (and US to some extent) pretty much destroys other teams on the world stage, when our guys aren't playing in the NHL that is. :p And one important element to that is our physical prowess over the other teams. Especially at the World Juniors level, some of the hits the Canadian guys deliver on the others are just downright brutal, we literally toy with them most of the time. Except when we become complacent, like last year at the World Juniors against the Russians.
Hate to say this, but I clearly saw this coming. Just what I feared has come true, I was spot on. It hurts seeing Vancouver lose, all of Canada (including Toronto) was behind them from game 1. But I knew they'd crack sooner or later.

Yeah they only have two more Europeans in the lineup than the Bruins, but the Bruins have way more Canadian players than the Canucks. Not to mention one of the Europeans is Chara, who is pretty much a beast.

But as I said, as we've seen in the recent past time and again, the team with more Canadian players finds its way to the top. They may not have a better record in the regular season, but they have the ability and physicality to succeed in playoff hockey and win the Cup. And not just physical presence, but also mental toughness is crucial in these situations. Canucks look dead out there, too many inactive sticks. On the other hand, Bruins are actively defending each opportunity Vancouver gets. Once again, Canadian players (Bergeron, Marchand, Lucic, etc.) are the key here, this is playoff hockey.

Last edited:

Quaggas

State Captain
Yeah, yeah. Can't draw inferences here. Vancouver is a quality team, and if management doesn't do anything stupid, they'll be around this next year this time. Seen it with the Wings time and time again.

How many experiments [edit: does} it take to tell that the mean of one distribution is better than another?

Last edited:

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hate to say this, but I clearly saw this coming. Just what I feared has come true, I was spot on. It hurts seeing Vancouver lose, all of Canada (including Toronto) was behind them from game 1. But I knew they'd crack sooner or later.

Yeah they only have two more Europeans in the lineup than the Bruins, but the Bruins have way more Canadian players than the Canucks. Not to mention one of the Europeans is Chara, who is pretty much a beast.

But as I said, as we've seen in the recent past time and again, the team with more Canadian players finds its way to the top. They may not have a better record in the regular season, but they have the ability and physicality to succeed in playoff hockey and win the Cup. And not just physical presence, but also mental toughness is crucial in these situations. Canucks look dead out there, too many inactive sticks. On the other hand, Bruins are actively defending each opportunity Vancouver gets. Once again, Canadian players (Bergeron, Marchand, Lucic, etc.) are the key here, this is playoff hockey.
That is the single biggest load of horse **** post I have ever seen on this forum. Honestly, what a load of rubbish. Bruins won it in game 7. Your little Canadian hockey theory is absolutely nothing, physicality is not what won it for the B's, what won it for them was their tending and defence in general.

Can't believe you've come here straight after the game to post that sort of ****.

Too angry to post properly now. Will do later.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
That is the single biggest load of horse **** post I have ever seen on this forum. Honestly, what a load of rubbish. Bruins won it in game 7. Your little Canadian hockey theory is absolutely nothing, physicality is not what won it for the B's, what won it for them was their tending and defence in general.

Can't believe you've come here straight after the game to post that sort of ****.

Too angry to post properly now. Will do later.
Bull****!

Yeah Bruins won it in game 7, but do you realize the margin they won each of their four games by, and compare that to the margin with which the Canucks won their games by.

I never said this was the ONLY reason Bruins won, instead it is one of the many reasons why they won (including goaltending and defense). Stop being precious here, I wanted the Canucks to win too, but let's ****ing face it - the Bruins wanted it more. You could tell solely by the energy level on display. Did you not see the amount of inactive Vancouver sticks when the puck was in their zone.

Anyone that knows the slightest bit about Hockey, knows that the different aspects of the game don't work individually in obtaining victory, instead they are all somewhat dependant on each other. This isn't cricket where bowling and batting are seperate components. Good physical play and aggression leads to tight defense, and offensive opportunities as well as momentum. In Hockey you try to get under the skin of the opposition, which is what the Bruins did with their size. Size alone creates opportunities by creating traffic in front of the net. Vancouver didn't have the size to get under the skin of Thomas, simple as that. I hope you realize now that all the different elements in the game have to come together and depend on each other to come out strong. Bruins looked hungry for the Cup, they had that aggression which helped them convert plays into scoring opportunities (eg. Bergeron's shorthanded breakaway, and in that play, how lethargic were the Canucks?) and no one can deny that.

And for this exact reason, I don't recognize this Bruins victory as a product of the presence of hard hitting Canadians and Chara alone, instead I see it as one of the many parts that played a significant role in helping them lift the Cup. You can look at the recent past I've quoted in my earlier posts as evidence for the need of such players, and how those teams have succeeded.

Point number 2. And this is not the only media source claiming this, nor am I the only one, it's a well known fact across hockey circles.

Last edited:

benchmark00

All I will say until I have had a chance to collect my thoughts is that I have been following hockey for doubtlessly alot longer than you. So to try and lecture me on the game is absolutely laughable.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
All I will say until I have had a chance to collect my thoughts is that I have been following hockey for doubtlessly alot longer than you. So to try and lecture me on the game is absolutely laughable.
8-)

Because you clearly know how long I have been following Hockey for, right? On top of that, it's one thing to watch Hockey, and a whole another thing to actually play it at a competitive level and be exposed to individuals in the game. I've played double AA hockey here in Ontario, which is inarguably one of the best levels of junior hockey. I've had teams from Europe tour and play exhibition games here. I've grown up around friends, teachers, mentors who've played in the OJHL and beyond. I've grown up playing street hockey with Jeff Skinner (Hurricanes draft pick).

As for my comment on European hockey players. I've had enough exposure to young, talented European players and the grassroots system/mentality of European hockey leagues. I've played alongside several young, talented Russian players who've immigrated to Canada. This is only a fraction of my exposure to Hockey, and I am not doubting your knowledge of the game, instead just providing you some insight into something that isn't as laughable as you think.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
We lost because Louongo let in two goals that McLean would have saved. Could name various other goalies who would have saved them as well.

he did one good save - and then he screwed up/had bad luck on the other two.

Great refereeing in the game it must be said - only two penalties.

I don't think the players decided this game Louongo did.

Also where was the Canucks winger on the first goal - there was a faceoff we won the draw - and then somehow they get the puck and score.

That said I don't want to get involved in the whole canadian players are better at playoffs debate. If I think about the best playoff performers some of them were Canadian. I don't think that was the difference though and you can't go around drafting Canadian players because they are Canadian.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Was going to come here and make a "Bruined the day" gag but its pretty tense in here, so I'll step out.

Spikey

we scored like 8 goals over 7 games and never looked like scoring last night. i mean i want to pin the blame all on guy too but the team as a whole was ****ing dire.

benchmark00

Also, can't believe Jaromir Jagr is going around again this year. The longevity of him is extraordinary.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
we scored like 8 goals over 7 games and never looked like scoring last night. i mean i want to pin the blame all on guy too but the team as a whole was ****ing dire.

This couple had to get an agent to manage all of the media inquiries.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Toronto opens with a win, that oughta put those Montrealers in place :cool:

On a slightly related note -

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Any of you jokers interested in doing a pick a player from a list style draft? Must get your picks in before game 3 of the season will be the cut off...

Please respond in this thread...

Spikey

While Spikey was watching:

Canucks 2- Dickheads 0

While Spikey wasn't watching
Canucks 1-Dickheads 3 + a shootout win

ffs.