Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Commonwealth Games

There was a footover bridge (?) at the games vanue that collapsed yesterday. The Delhi CM sought to play it down by explaining that it wasn't meant to be used by the athletes, rather only by spectators.
    Yeah, that makes it so much better
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

Nah it does make it better. Not like anyone was actually going to watch this **** in India as spectators anyway
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

If the terrorists stay away, if the buildings don't fall down, if the dengue fever doesn't get everyone, or they all don't get trapped inside their showers, the All India Jat Sangharsh Samiti may still stage another big protest and shut the place down...
    Last edited by Matt79; 22-09-2010 at 06:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    If the terrorists stay away, if the buildings don't fall down, if the dengue fever doesn't get everyone, or they all don't get trapped inside their showers, the All India Jat Sangharsh Samiti may still stage another big protest and shut the place down...
    You were doing fine until you decided to just make stuff up. Atleast pick something that's plausible.

International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!
    Being originally from India, I'm absolutely disgusted and ashamed at Delhi's effort in trying to host the Commonwealth Games. As somebody in the Engineering and Construction game, this reeks of complete lack of planning, extremely poor utilisation of resources and just widespread corruption. The complete lack of regard for building against standards and codes and delivering on time and on budget is astounding.

However, having been to Delhi only recently it's really not surprising at all. The entire city was a complete mess and in complete shambles. Everything was dug up, there were incomplete buildings and roads. The biggest problem India has is cultural. In a corruption free environment when you're tendering for contracts and materials, it's usually the group with the best commitment to quality and safety along with the most competitive price and proven track record of delivery that wins out. Unfortunately in this case it seemed like corruption was influencing this greatly and the result is for everyone to see.

Another big issue is the complete disregard for safety of the construction workers. There have already been a large number of worker deaths during the period of preparing for the Commonwealth Games. In Australia, one death is too many. How much longer can India run these projects with a complete disregard for worker safety? How much longer can India sweep these sorts of things under the carpet? The importance that Australian industry places on safety and quality is second to none and is something that India can definitely learn from.

This unfortunately has been a classic display of everything that is so common in India. Passing the buck, putting your head under the sand and convincing yourself that everything is going great. Add to that corruption hindering progress, a complete disregard for Safety and Quality and delivering something that is way over budget and over schedule. It's pathetic and unfortunately India has a lot to learn if they are ever going to shake off their third world tag and truly progress.
    Self Elected Vice-President of AAAS
    (Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society)

"Uniting Ajit Agarkar Fans World Wide"

Always Live Life With: Intensity, Integrity and Intelligence

Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    You were doing fine until you decided to just make stuff up. Atleast pick something that's plausible.
    'Shut the place down' might be an exaggeration, but I was reading today that they've staged some pretty disruptive protests in the last few months. Wasn't someone killed at one of their protests a couple of weeks ago?

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shivfan View Post
    It's too late to call it off, IMHO....

However, I believe we are likely to see a low-key event, with more stars pulling out. Three more Brits have pulled out - Phillips Idowu, Lisa Dobriskey and Christine Ohuruogu....

Maybe it's their rest period, too....
    Or maybe you could actually read the reports as to why they've pulled out.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    'Shut the place down' might be an exaggeration, but I was reading today that they've staged some pretty disruptive protests in the last few months. Wasn't someone killed at one of their protests a couple of weeks ago?
    Yeah, the police opened fire and a boy was killed. I don't support their demands, but they have every right to protest at the Games if they see fit. The Games aren't more important than a person's right to voice his grievances.

I wasn't saying I didn't think they should protest if they want to, just that it could potentially be another challenge for the Games organisers if they do.

Yeah, that's true. In a way, we shouldn't really wish it away. Obviously the shoddy construction, unsanitary facilities and massive corruption are unarguably unacceptable. But as far as protests go, I'd rather have a Games overshadowed by those, than a superficially sterile Games like China put up during their Olympics by using state force to quell any pro-Tibetan protests. I just hope the protests focus on the massive corruption in the Games, that the government has been aware of all along and has still shamelessly done nothing about.

R_D
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    There was a footover bridge (?) at the games vanue that collapsed yesterday. The Delhi CM sought to play it down by explaining that it wasn't meant to be used by the athletes, rather only by spectators.
    Yeah, that makes it so much better
    Another annoying thing... All the ****s involved in this mess are so smug...They keep going on about how the deadline hasn't been passed yet.. the games are not on for another week or so. You were ****ing suppose to finish this 6 months back ****s... You have missed like 5 or 6 deadlines by now.

The best was... the **** who said “For us and for you it is clean. But they (the foreign countries) have a different standard of cleanliness. It is a matter of difference in perception.”

That was in regards to the games village apparently not being liveable.

Quote Originally Posted by R_D View Post
    Another annoying thing... All the ****s involved in this mess are so smug...They keep going on about how the deadline hasn't been passed yet.. the games are not on for another week or so. You were ****ing suppose to finish this 6 months back ****s... You have missed like 5 or 6 deadlines by now.

The best was... the **** who said “For us and for you it is clean. But they (the foreign countries) have a different standard of cleanliness. It is a matter of difference in perception.”

That was in regards to the games village apparently not being liveable.
    Yeah, makes my blood boil tbh. Bet those officials have no qualms about demanding five star accomodation on their numerous trips abroad at the tax payers' expense.

Contrast this with the Chinese. The Asian games are this November. They're already done with all their preparation and handed over control of the athletes village over to the Games federation yesterday.

With all our Economic and other problems, even bidding for the CWG was a mistake IMO. The Indian Delegate keeps getting ripped apart at all the MUNs this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    With all our Economic and other problems, even bidding for the CWG was a mistake IMO. The Indian Delegate keeps getting ripped apart at all the MUNs this year.
    I don't think it's been an economic problem. The government has put in enough money into the preparations. Only that much of it has gone to line the pockets of the fat cats and incompetent and corrupt officials and contractors. The only reason Kalmadi wants India to host more events is so that he and his cronies can fill up their coffers even more.

Should just put the BCCI in charge of all sports in India tbh. They may be a body with an eye on the bottomline too, but atleast they seem to be conscientious enough to get things done properly and on time.

Yeah, money has never been a problem for India for anything they wanted to do. It is poor country by its own choice.

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information