• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Commonwealth Games

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
As much as it hurts to say this as an Indian, The games should be cancelled, right now.

Dissector

International Debutant
Cancelling it is going a step too far but the whole thing has become a serious embarassment. I am sure everyone will scramble and muddle through in the end and it may even be quite successful but really all the headlines about the delays and snafus are a serious failure in themselves. It underlines how far behind China we are when they can organize an Olympics without a hitch while we struggle with a mere Commonwealth games.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Many (in not most) Indians live in this delusion that they somehow are equal level with China in various walks of life such administration, Science, world standing etc (it is apparent in their quest for Permanent membership in UN security council or willingness to host an Olympic etc). The reality is we can boost of only 4 things a. Democracy b.Info Tech Industry 3. Population 4. Corruption

Commonwealth Games have been an embarrassment for quite some time and so much that it doesn't worry me much. But I think if we did not stop it now and, there will be people who might lose their lives because of the unsafe structure built for the event.

R_D

International Debutant
Not that i give a hoots about commonwealth games but the whole situation is rather farce.
I can't believe the government spent so much money on a worthless event like this while millions are suffering.
People are suffering from floods and landslides and here the government is busy worrying about the venues being ready on time.

All involved have racked in the money.... might as well call it off now. The purpose has been served.

shivfan

Banned
It's too late to call it off, IMHO....

However, I believe we are likely to see a low-key event, with more stars pulling out. Three more Brits have pulled out - Phillips Idowu, Lisa Dobriskey and Christine Ohuruogu....

Maybe it's their rest period, too....
:cool:

Craig

World Traveller
There were reports that some of the poor working conditions a lot the people employed to build the stadiums were absolutely shocking. The other thing is that it is pointless taking it to India when the vast majority of the population don't give two hoots about the some of the sporting events. Why piss away millions on a velodrome, or a athletics stadium, or a boxing arena when it will just be a giant white elephant, costing a lot to keep them open when they seldom will get used?

Spend the money on fixing your country up before having a sporting event.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
There was a footover bridge (?) at the games vanue that collapsed yesterday. The Delhi CM sought to play it down by explaining that it wasn't meant to be used by the athletes, rather only by spectators.
Yeah, that makes it so much better 8-)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nah it does make it better. Not like anyone was actually going to watch this **** in India as spectators anyway :ph34r:

Matt79

Global Moderator
If the terrorists stay away, if the buildings don't fall down, if the dengue fever doesn't get everyone, or they all don't get trapped inside their showers, the All India Jat Sangharsh Samiti may still stage another big protest and shut the place down...

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
If the terrorists stay away, if the buildings don't fall down, if the dengue fever doesn't get everyone, or they all don't get trapped inside their showers, the All India Jat Sangharsh Samiti may still stage another big protest and shut the place down...
You were doing fine until you decided to just make stuff up. Atleast pick something that's plausible.

masterblaster

International Captain
Being originally from India, I'm absolutely disgusted and ashamed at Delhi's effort in trying to host the Commonwealth Games. As somebody in the Engineering and Construction game, this reeks of complete lack of planning, extremely poor utilisation of resources and just widespread corruption. The complete lack of regard for building against standards and codes and delivering on time and on budget is astounding.

However, having been to Delhi only recently it's really not surprising at all. The entire city was a complete mess and in complete shambles. Everything was dug up, there were incomplete buildings and roads. The biggest problem India has is cultural. In a corruption free environment when you're tendering for contracts and materials, it's usually the group with the best commitment to quality and safety along with the most competitive price and proven track record of delivery that wins out. Unfortunately in this case it seemed like corruption was influencing this greatly and the result is for everyone to see.

Another big issue is the complete disregard for safety of the construction workers. There have already been a large number of worker deaths during the period of preparing for the Commonwealth Games. In Australia, one death is too many. How much longer can India run these projects with a complete disregard for worker safety? How much longer can India sweep these sorts of things under the carpet? The importance that Australian industry places on safety and quality is second to none and is something that India can definitely learn from.

This unfortunately has been a classic display of everything that is so common in India. Passing the buck, putting your head under the sand and convincing yourself that everything is going great. Add to that corruption hindering progress, a complete disregard for Safety and Quality and delivering something that is way over budget and over schedule. It's pathetic and unfortunately India has a lot to learn if they are ever going to shake off their third world tag and truly progress.

Matt79

Global Moderator
You were doing fine until you decided to just make stuff up. Atleast pick something that's plausible.
'Shut the place down' might be an exaggeration, but I was reading today that they've staged some pretty disruptive protests in the last few months. Wasn't someone killed at one of their protests a couple of weeks ago?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It's too late to call it off, IMHO....

However, I believe we are likely to see a low-key event, with more stars pulling out. Three more Brits have pulled out - Phillips Idowu, Lisa Dobriskey and Christine Ohuruogu....

Maybe it's their rest period, too....
:cool:
Or maybe you could actually read the reports as to why they've pulled out. 8-)

G.I.Joe

International Coach
'Shut the place down' might be an exaggeration, but I was reading today that they've staged some pretty disruptive protests in the last few months. Wasn't someone killed at one of their protests a couple of weeks ago?
Yeah, the police opened fire and a boy was killed. I don't support their demands, but they have every right to protest at the Games if they see fit. The Games aren't more important than a person's right to voice his grievances.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I wasn't saying I didn't think they should protest if they want to, just that it could potentially be another challenge for the Games organisers if they do.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Yeah, that's true. In a way, we shouldn't really wish it away. Obviously the shoddy construction, unsanitary facilities and massive corruption are unarguably unacceptable. But as far as protests go, I'd rather have a Games overshadowed by those, than a superficially sterile Games like China put up during their Olympics by using state force to quell any pro-Tibetan protests. I just hope the protests focus on the massive corruption in the Games, that the government has been aware of all along and has still shamelessly done nothing about.