• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Commonwealth Games

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Haha, how was the Aussie not disqualified for that false start in the women's 100m? So, so lucky.

And then she wins gold. :laugh: Kudos.
Must admit, when I saw the replay, the English girl seemed to shift first, then Sally moved right out of the blocks after that.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Apparently the Nigerians are protesting. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dunno how the English bird talked her way out of that one... (or Pearson for that matter)

Really hope nothing comes of the protest though, even better performance to have won after that, than if she'd done it without the false start imo.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Nah, personally think they should both be disqualified.

Hockey between India and Australia was interesting, Hockeyroos weathered the storm before half time, India were all over them then. Then broke their back after the break. India played frantic, hold-your-breath stuff, so quick and just run at defences.

Johnners

They both probs should have been before the final. Just don't like the whole changing the result after the even has occured, because of something that didn't actually happen in the race itself. Guess it'll come down to officials discretion though, and if they go by the book i suspect you'll be right, and they're gone.

Oh, and despite the fact it wasn't Beijing-esque, Pearson must be the most refreshing Australian sportsperson to interview. She's about about the only one who doesn't speak entirely in cliche's throughout an interview.

shivfan

Banned
Nothing's going to come of that protest against Pearson, because it's a ridiculous one....

Sally Pearson of Australia won the 100 final in 11.28, with second going to a Nigerian, while Natasha Mayers of St Vincent took the bronze in 11.37....

Lerone Clarke wins the men's 100 in 10.12! Mark Lewis-Francis of England gets the silver. One of the Trinis took bronze.

Canada's Armstrong wins the gold in the shot with a throw of 21.02, which is a new CG record. Jamaican Scott got silver with 20.19, and Australia's Stevenson took bronze.

Dydl

International Debutant
Dramatic scenes tonight. Still no official decision. Personally don''t like the looks of it for Pearson, and she obviously didn't like the looks of it either; not a great poker face after that false start.

Aussies doing well in the gymnastics though. Three apparatus gold for the men, and the highly impressive Lauren Mitchell with her third gold, doubling up with her team mate for top two placings. Lots of respect to all gymnasts; the things they can do... Amazing.

_Ed_

I think that's probably the right decision. She should have been DQed before the race.

Have to feel for her, though. Must be absolutely devastating.

Last edited:

Chubb

International Regular
Switched on the TV this morning and saw I guy I went to school with in the gymnastics for England. Steve Jehu always was a brilliant gymnast as well as a superb actor, and we all expected he would do something like this one day. Good on him.

Son Of Coco

Nah, personally think they should both be disqualified.

Hockey between India and Australia was interesting, Hockeyroos weathered the storm before half time, India were all over them then. Then broke their back after the break. India played frantic, hold-your-breath stuff, so quick and just run at defences.
One of the new young guys playing for the Hockeyroos comes from my hometown...and his name's exactly the same as mine. His mum used to be my babysitter, I must've left an impression! :happy:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think that's probably the right decision. She should have been DQed before the race.
Yeah, just saw it for the first time this morning and she knows she should've been DQ'd first time round.

Also saw the starting blocks move considerably for the men's 100m - that can't have helped him.

_Ed_

GOLD for NZ! :D

Absolutely huge ride in the pursuit by Alison Shanks. Fabulous.

Johnners

Haha Schoeman not holding back of what he thinks of the games there. Will be intruiged to see if he & Burnett keep their spots in the final...

Huegill though, WAG.

_Ed_

Jeez, amazing courage from Nikki Hamblin. Seems to have collapsed after winning silver in the 1500m. Hope she's OK. Such a brave effort, really did us proud.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Haha Schoeman not holding back of what he thinks of the games there. Will be intruiged to see if he & Burnett keep their spots in the final...

Huegill though, WAG.
There are some sections of specially foreign media making the most of his Monkey remarks.

But none of the Indian officials were interested in it,and the media did not pick up on it either/

Being called a Monkey has different levels of hurt cause in different countries.