• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NFL / NCAA Football

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It’s been a few days, the Cards beat a team I hate, and I can’t hold back any longer. Sorry everyone, it’s time for more UC Posts NFL Bollocks.

I was always led to believe that American sports used data in much more advanced ways than European sports. But when people say ‘analytics’ in soccer they’re usually talking about elaborate predictive models based on calculating the goal probability of every shot. It’s surprising to learn that ‘analytics’ in the NFL means ‘occasionally thinking up to two (2) steps ahead when deciding whether to boot the ball away’.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I was always led to believe that American sports used data in much more advanced ways than European sports. But when people say ‘analytics’ in soccer they’re usually talking about elaborate predictive models based on calculating the goal probability of every shot. It’s surprising to learn that ‘analytics’ in the NFL means ‘occasionally thinking up to two (2) steps ahead when deciding whether to boot the ball away’.
Can't expect too much from people who dedicated their lives to professionally getting brain damage.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It’s been a few days, the Cards beat a team I hate, and I can’t hold back any longer. Sorry everyone, it’s time for more UC Posts NFL Bollocks.

Ha yeah I remember thinking this in years gone by too

Uppercut

While I’m ranting, how the **** did the Cowboys get away with calling themselves America’s Team. Damning indictment of the whole sport. If Arsenal tried to brand themselves as England’s Team within hours there’d be a song about their owners being nonces to the tune of Happy Days.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
While I’m ranting, how the **** did the Cowboys get away with calling themselves America’s Team. Damning indictment of the whole sport. If Arsenal tried to brand themselves as England’s Team within hours there’d be a song about their owners being nonces to the tune of Happy Days.
pffft everyone knows Arsenal is France's team anyway

Or at least it was in the 90s/early 2000s, so the Daily Mail (and beevs) would have you believe

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
also on the subject of rants, does that "waiting all day for sunday night" song by Carrie Underwood do anyone else's head in? bloody hell it grates with me

Shady Slim

International Coach

the hockey and baseball use more advanced analytics than the nfl tbf, and if you’re on the right parts of nfl twitter you’ll also see analysis and takes relying with broader analytics such as the epa

Uppercut

the hockey and baseball use more advanced analytics than the nfl tbf, and if you’re on the right parts of nfl twitter you’ll also see analysis and takes relying with broader analytics such as the epa
Yeah I know that stuff is out there, it's just funny to me how low the bar is within the game. Teams are down 12 points with 4 minutes left and the commentators are debating whether to kick a field goal. At that point analytics just means "being able to count".

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Yeah I know that stuff is out there, it's just funny to me how low the bar is within the game. Teams are down 12 points with 4 minutes left and the commentators are debating whether to kick a field goal. At that point analytics just means "being able to count".
You know Danny Mills is a football commentator right? Commentary isn't exactly the bastion of analytics in football either.

Uppercut

You know Danny Mills is a football commentator right? Commentary isn't exactly the bastion of analytics in football either.
I mean if we're doing comparisons I'm taking the NFL's side, I'm enjoying these games far more than I enjoy football matches lately.

As far as I can tell the football commentary is far worse. The NFL commentators that are clearly idiots stand out, whereas the football commentators that stand out are the ones that aren't clearly idiots.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Man I dunno, as someone who's been very loudly anti-commentator for a very long time I think the worst sport overall for commentary is football, specifically the Premier League. 90% of the commentators don't even know the rules. Though the NBA is a close second.

SillyCowCorner1

Bills Mafia demolition of the Patriots is such a warm feeling. Finally, after all these years the Pats are ****

Josh Allen is next level.
Dak tho lol ?

SillyCowCorner1

Watching an absolute classic here between Bills and the Chiefs. Both qb’s are in god mode.

And yes, we’re going into overtime.

This feels like 2019 cricket World Cup final.

Number 11

State 12th Man
What a game. NFL overtime rules coming up again with the coin toss all but deciding it. Feel for Allen and the Bills I was bandwagoning them for these playoffs.