• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Merlene Ottey runs in Euro Champs at 50

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
A quick search shows that this has not already been posted.

It was last month but I thought Id post it as it is pretty amazing.

Obviously not as fast as she once was, Merlene Ottey --once of Jamaica and now of Slovenia-- competed in the 2010 European Championship held in Barcelona last month at 50 years old.

She is no longer a threat at this level but she was part of the Slovenian 4x100m team. Frankly, it is crazy. Hats off to her.

She is the one on the left :)

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's incredible, like Martina winning a Grand Slam (mixed doubles with Paes) at 50. Didn't she used to be a bit of a choker in the big events?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Kwality abs for 50yo, it must be said.

Kinda raises the question about all sportspersonages continuing so long after their peaks. I imagine she still does it because she can and enjoys it, but it's kinda like, I dunno, Bill Lawry playing 3rd Grade at whatever age he is now. Still a name, but no longer has the same game.

shivfan

Banned
That's incredible, like Martina winning a Grand Slam (mixed doubles with Paes) at 50. Didn't she used to be a bit of a choker in the big events?
She secured quite a few bronze medals before finally getting a gold in the World Champs....

That said, she competed against some athletes who were a bit dodgy at the time, so that makes her medals even more commendable.