Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A-League 2010/11

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!

A-League 2010/11

Fantastic match last night between Perth and NQF, all the goals were thrilling.

Heading to watch Sydney vs Melbourne tonight.
    Jesus saves

proudly supporting Liverpool FC

A-League starts officially for me this time next year. West Sydney Rovers ftw.

Reckon the quality of the league will improve markedly this year. Some great players coming into the league. The likes of Skoko, Beauchamp, Carle etc should add some quality to the to the matches this year..
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZwgu8_b0Vw

RIP Craig

School Boy/Girl Captain El Nino's Avatar
    ITSTL that there is pretty much no fans here.

Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    For the record I've watched a couple of the Phoenix's matches (their 3-3 draw with the Gold Coast and their loss to Perth Glory) but with no other discussion going on didn't comment here. Given how popular the English football topics are its a shame there hasn't been more A-League discussion.

Myself being in Melbourne have been a member of the Victory every year and get the 85% of all home games. Was a fantastic second half yesterday afternoon after a dismal effort first half, lovely to see Ricardinho on the scoresheet.

Wellingtons efforts to be undefeated at the caketin for 21 games now is unheard of in the A-League, great effort. Looking forward to playing Nicky Ward and the Pheonix at home on Wednesday night! Love a midweek home fixture!

First few weeks of the A-League are always dead as the other major Australian codes are entering their respective finals series. You'd think things would pick up from October onwards.

Really don't understand why the A-League doesn't start in October to allieviate this issue.

The season is now a 30+ week season, so cant afford to start it any later otherwis it just drags too far through the winter and then interest is lost again into other codes by the time finals come around.

Quote Originally Posted by El Nino View Post
    The season is now a 30+ week season, so cant afford to start it any later otherwis it just drags too far through the winter and then interest is lost again into other codes by the time finals come around.
    The question being why does the league need a 30+ week season? That has everyone playing each other 3 times + finals which is more than enough. Knock a few weeks off the season and the league isn't completely starved of oxygen for a month when it starts, you likely get better crowd figures, and lower operating costs for some of the clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    The question being why does the league need a 30+ week season? That has everyone playing each other 3 times + finals which is more than enough. Knock a few weeks off the season and the league isn't completely starved of oxygen for a month when it starts, you likely get better crowd figures, and lower operating costs for some of the clubs.
    Indeed, Melbourne's CEO and board have approached and presented the league with a 14 point plan that involves shortening the season and having a mid season knock out cup that involves non league clubs from around Australia. With the way that the league is run at the moment with such a long season clubs are being bled dry of money and there just isn't the revenue coming in to account for it.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Somerset View Post
    For the record I've watched a couple of the Phoenix's matches (their 3-3 draw with the Gold Coast and their loss to Perth Glory) but with no other discussion going on didn't comment here. Given how popular the English football topics are its a shame there hasn't been more A-League discussion.
    Is Greenacre getting a game?

Quote Originally Posted by El Nino View Post
    Indeed, Melbourne's CEO and board have approached and presented the league with a 14 point plan that involves shortening the season and having a mid season knock out cup that involves non league clubs from around Australia. With the way that the league is run at the moment with such a long season clubs are being bled dry of money and there just isn't the revenue coming in to account for it.

For the A-League followers in Melbourne how have the Heart been recieved down there? Always felt they'd be behind the 8 ball initially as they weren't really servicing a particular geographical area.

I'd like to see them do well myself. The league needs more cross city rivalries.

Carn the Heart!

Think that it may struggle, there's just no real point of difference to the Victory besides playing in red. Same geographical area, and competing against a team that's been very well performed for the majority of seasons.

Not having Muscat may attract some fans
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Still just seems to me to be more like, "Hey, people are liking soccer, lets plonk another team in Melbourne!"

Don't really see how it will expand the viewing audience that much, besides attracting those who were competing against the Victory for the A-League license. It will only encourage cannibalisation of the casual Victory following.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information