• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A-League 2010/11

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Fantastic match last night between Perth and NQF, all the goals were thrilling.

Heading to watch Sydney vs Melbourne tonight.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
A-League starts officially for me this time next year. West Sydney Rovers ftw.

Reckon the quality of the league will improve markedly this year. Some great players coming into the league. The likes of Skoko, Beauchamp, Carle etc should add some quality to the to the matches this year..

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
For the record I've watched a couple of the Phoenix's matches (their 3-3 draw with the Gold Coast and their loss to Perth Glory) but with no other discussion going on didn't comment here. Given how popular the English football topics are its a shame there hasn't been more A-League discussion.

El Nino

School Boy/Girl Captain
Myself being in Melbourne have been a member of the Victory every year and get the 85% of all home games. Was a fantastic second half yesterday afternoon after a dismal effort first half, lovely to see Ricardinho on the scoresheet.

Wellingtons efforts to be undefeated at the caketin for 21 games now is unheard of in the A-League, great effort. Looking forward to playing Nicky Ward and the Pheonix at home on Wednesday night! Love a midweek home fixture!

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
First few weeks of the A-League are always dead as the other major Australian codes are entering their respective finals series. You'd think things would pick up from October onwards.

Really don't understand why the A-League doesn't start in October to allieviate this issue.

El Nino

School Boy/Girl Captain
The season is now a 30+ week season, so cant afford to start it any later otherwis it just drags too far through the winter and then interest is lost again into other codes by the time finals come around.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
The season is now a 30+ week season, so cant afford to start it any later otherwis it just drags too far through the winter and then interest is lost again into other codes by the time finals come around.
The question being why does the league need a 30+ week season? That has everyone playing each other 3 times + finals which is more than enough. Knock a few weeks off the season and the league isn't completely starved of oxygen for a month when it starts, you likely get better crowd figures, and lower operating costs for some of the clubs.

El Nino

School Boy/Girl Captain
The question being why does the league need a 30+ week season? That has everyone playing each other 3 times + finals which is more than enough. Knock a few weeks off the season and the league isn't completely starved of oxygen for a month when it starts, you likely get better crowd figures, and lower operating costs for some of the clubs.
Indeed, Melbourne's CEO and board have approached and presented the league with a 14 point plan that involves shortening the season and having a mid season knock out cup that involves non league clubs from around Australia. With the way that the league is run at the moment with such a long season clubs are being bled dry of money and there just isn't the revenue coming in to account for it.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
For the record I've watched a couple of the Phoenix's matches (their 3-3 draw with the Gold Coast and their loss to Perth Glory) but with no other discussion going on didn't comment here. Given how popular the English football topics are its a shame there hasn't been more A-League discussion.
Is Greenacre getting a game?

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Indeed, Melbourne's CEO and board have approached and presented the league with a 14 point plan that involves shortening the season and having a mid season knock out cup that involves non league clubs from around Australia. With the way that the league is run at the moment with such a long season clubs are being bled dry of money and there just isn't the revenue coming in to account for it.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
For the A-League followers in Melbourne how have the Heart been recieved down there? Always felt they'd be behind the 8 ball initially as they weren't really servicing a particular geographical area.

I'd like to see them do well myself. The league needs more cross city rivalries.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Carn the Heart!

Think that it may struggle, there's just no real point of difference to the Victory besides playing in red. Same geographical area, and competing against a team that's been very well performed for the majority of seasons.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Still just seems to me to be more like, "Hey, people are liking soccer, lets plonk another team in Melbourne!"

Don't really see how it will expand the viewing audience that much, besides attracting those who were competing against the Victory for the A-League license. It will only encourage cannibalisation of the casual Victory following.

El Nino

School Boy/Girl Captain
For the A-League followers in Melbourne how have the Heart been recieved down there? Always felt they'd be behind the 8 ball initially as they weren't really servicing a particular geographical area.

I'd like to see them do well myself. The league needs more cross city rivalries.
Badly, They started ok with 12k at their first game then have just gone down hill to the extent of having 4k at their last home game, A lot of hate within the victory fans for them. Canberra and Tasmania's bid should have been taken in before a second Melbourne team for sure.

Not having Muscat may attract some fans
:laugh: Super Kev.

Still just seems to me to be more like, "Hey, people are liking soccer, lets plonk another team in Melbourne!"

Don't really see how it will expand the viewing audience that much, besides attracting those who were competing against the Victory for the A-League license. It will only encourage cannibalisation of the casual Victory following.
Was a really poor decision, they aimed to get those from the outer suburbs who are NSL fanatics who hate the Victory because their team didn't get the license South Melbourne Green Gully etc but its just stupid, they don't like Heart for the exact same reason. They have got a few of the occasional Victory fans but they will fade away heavily soon if they dont start having some success.

That being said be interesting to see what happens once AFL finishes up down here they might attract a few more fans then, I know our crowds improve a fair bit once the AFL season is over.

El Nino

School Boy/Girl Captain
Greenacre was very poor last night along with the other 21 players on the park :p

Terrible game Victory vs Pheonix was last night, fantastic atmosphere for a midweek ficture though.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Greenacre is too awesome to ever be poor. Just by stepping on the field he gets a minimum of 9/10.

WAFG