• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where do you stand?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
On the great sporting rivalries? I'm curious to know which side CW roots hardest (ooo, Matron, etc) for when the titans clash in whatever sport. I'm talking about games like Celtic v Rangers, Arsenal v T*ttenham, NSW v QLD in state of origin, Carlton v Collingwood in Aussie Rules, England v Australia in cricket and so on.

Here's a by no means definitive list that others can add to:

Association Football

Arsenal v T*ttenham

Liverpool v Everton

Man Utd v Man City

Liverpool v Man Utd

Rangers v Celtic

Barcelona v Real Madrid

AC Milan v Internazionale

England v Argentina

Rugby Union

The All Blacks v The Wallabies

The All Blacks v The Springboks

England v France

Leinster v Munster

Rugby League

NSW v QLD

Wigan v St Helens

Kiwis v Kangaroos

Aussie Rules

Carlton v Collingwood

Cricket

England v Australia

Pakistan v India

Yorkshire v Lancashire

NSW v Vic

Just say who you support in the clashes of the ones you care about and maybe why. Arbitrary hatreds and long-held grudges actively encouraged.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Association Football

Arsenal v T*ttenham - Arsenal, durr

Liverpool v Everton - Toffees. Liverpool won everything when I was growing up and the residual bitterness lingers.

Man Utd v Man City - Citeh. ABU.

Liverpool v Man Utd - Scousers. ABU.

Rangers v Celtic - Celtic. Irish catholic stock and my Uncle Mick is a fan.

Barcelona v Real Madrid - Real. Would've said Barca before this season, but the smugness levels emanating from Camp Nou getting ridiculous and they're trying to flich our captain.

AC Milan v Internazionale - AC. Inter the fascist team.

England v Argentina - England, obv.

Rugby Union

The All Blacks v The Wallabies - Wobblies. Generally the underdogs

The All Blacks v The Springboks - ABs. Boks filthy feckers for the most part.

England v France - England, durr.

Leinster v Munster - Munster. Have "the knacker factor" and play a more forward-orientated game. Leinster too pretty.

Rugby League

NSW v QLD - Maroons. Were the underdogs when I got into SOO and have stuck with them since

Wigan v St Helens - St Helens. Wigan were like Liverpool on steroids in the late 80s/early 90s so were easy to dislike

Kiwis v Kangaroos - Kiwis. Always the underdogs and occasionally bloody the roos noses.

Aussie Rules

Carlton v Collingwood - Carlton. Collingwood seems the closest AFL has to a United.

Cricket

England v Australia - England, obv.

Pakistan v India - Pakistan, generally. It's the bowlers, maaan. :wub:

Yorkshire v Lancashire - White rose. Used to live there.

NSW v Vic - NSW. League state.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Association Football

Arsenal v T*ttenham - Er Arsenal, I think. As a kid I liked the Spuds because I loved Lineker, but I quite like Arsenal really, ever since they beat Man U at OT in 98. It's also why I love Overmars and Bergkamp. Also I don't like Tottenham these days they are the new Newcastle and hammered us a couple of times in Cups.

Liverpool v Everton
- Heh, hate this day every year. A Liverpool win much more bearable than an Everton one and blues more likely to start trouble on derby day in my experience.

Man Utd v Man City
- ABU.

Liverpool v Man Utd- ABU.

Rangers v Celtic - As a kid, I rooted for Celtic because Rangers had won a load in a row. And then Rangers played at PP and I got caught up in a sea of flying bottles outside the Clipper, I was about 13 or 14, whatever age you are that sort of thing makes you not like a team.

Barcelona v Real Madrid - Real Madrid. I don't like Barca. They are like Brazil, the media constantly telling me that everyone loves them, well I don't. Uppercut once said they are what everyone wants their team to be like, well I don't. I hate being told what I should like and that's why I hate Barca. Of course, Real are no angels, far from it, lesser of two evils really. Plus a few years back they had a few English players which warmed me to them slightly.

AC Milan v Internazionale - Er never really thought about this actually

England v Argentina - Why is this even a question, anyone who picks the Argies should get a perma, simple as.

Tranmere V Bolton - Whites

Tranmere V Wrexham - Whites

Tranmere V Jester - :laugh: Whites

Rugby Union

- Kinda neutral on these, not a big fan of the All Blacks but it's hard for me to ever root for Crims or Saffas.

England v France
- Not a big Union man anyway, will only really watch Six Nations & WC, but this one is obvious hey...England

Rugby League

Wigan v St Helens
- St Helens. Same reason why I rooted for Celtic over Rangers as a kid really, also I've been stalkishly obsessed with at least eight girls from St Helens.

Cricket

England v Australia
- Rivalries are supposed to be competitive, call me back when Australia actually manage to beat us.

Pakistan v India - Pakistan, usually. Changes from time to time really.

Yorkshire v Lancashire - Lancashire

FTR, hadn't seen Brumby's 'ABU' stance when I made my post but I'm hoping it will be a recurring theme throughout the thread :cool:

Last edited:

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Association Football

Arsenal v T*ttenham - Tottenham

Liverpool v Everton - Liverpool, Kewell played for them, and they now have 'nando :wub:

Man Utd v Man City - Citeh.

Liverpool v Man Utd - Pool, obviously

Rangers v Celtic - Celtic, Macca played for 'em

Barcelona v Real Madrid - Real, don't particularly dislike either team, but Raul only played for one of them.

AC Milan v Internazionale - AC

England v Argentina - England

Rugby Union

The All Blacks v The Wallabies - Wallabies, obvs

The All Blacks v The Springboks - All Blacks, Springboks a bunch of dirty so 'n so's.

England v France - France, bitterness over '03 & '07 WC's etc.

Leinster v Munster - Who?

Rugby League

NSW v QLD - Maroons, queenslander and all.

Wigan v St Helens - St Helens - Gidley played for 'em, don't particularly care though.

Kiwis v Kangaroos - Kangaroos

Aussie Rules

Carlton v Collingwood - Carlton, despise everything about Collingwood. It's CEO, players & fans. Oh, and they're still bitter about how we crushed them in '02/'03 (Matt to respond :p)

Cricket

England v Australia - Australia, obv

Pakistan v India - Depends on the players at the time.

Yorkshire v Lancashire - Lancs

NSW v Vic - NSW, nobody likes victoria.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Rugby League

Kiwis v Kangaroos

I guess you can call this a rivalry - but Aussie wins 80% of them. In the 1980s there were some epic encounters. I have vivid memories of Jarred McCracken going over in the corner with Andrew Ettinghausen in hot pursuit. The next game the Aussies beat the crap out of McCracken and won the game (and the fight) - I think McCracken got sent off to add insult to injury.
For us to win in this event - Aussie have to get ****y and we have to play inspired footy.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Rugby Union

The All Blacks v The Wallabies - Wallabies; born in Australia.

The All Blacks v The Springboks - Springboks because of the above rivalry.

England v France - England; heritage

Rugby League

NSW v QLD - New South Wales, obv

Wigan v St Helens - Wigan; grandmother sent me a Wigan jersey when I was little

Kiwis v Kangaroos - Kangaroos

Aussie Rules

Carlton v Collingwood - Collingwood.. followed the magpies in league so I don't hate Collingwood

Cricket

England v Australia - ... :ph34r:

Pakistan v India - India; really don't know why

Yorkshire v Lancashire - Yorkshire; moving there

NSW v Vic - NSW, obv

Craig

World Traveller
Association Football

Arsenal v T*ttenham - I suppose Arsenal. Will never forget the random chant at Highbury - "**** off Tottenham", and they were playing Sunderland.

Liverpool v Everton - Don't care about this one.

Man Utd v Man City - Man City I guess, lesser of two evils.

Liverpool v Man Utd - Probably Man U, but I'm not a fan of either club.

Rangers v Celtic - Not Catholic or Protestant, and I think Scottish football is ****, so neither for mine.

Barcelona v Real Madrid - Barcelona, can't stand Real Madrid.

AC Milan v Internazionale - A no brainer this one.

England v Argentina - England

Rugby Union

The All Blacks v The Wallabies - All Blacks

The All Blacks v The Springboks - As Above

England v France - Probably the French

Leinster v Munster - NFI on this one

Rugby League

NSW v QLD - QLD

Wigan v St Helens - Wigan

Kiwis v Kangaroos - Kiwis

Aussie Rules

Carlton v Collingwood - Carlton, I know a few fans of the club

Cricket

England v Australia - I really can't decide

Pakistan v India - India

Yorkshire v Lancashire - Yorkshire

NSW v Vic - Victoria

Pothas

Association Football

Arsenal v T*ttenham - Arsenal. By far my favourite of the big clubs, no hatred for Spurs but they are mildly irritating.

Liverpool v Everton - Everton. Got a soft spot for Everton, hate Liverpool

Man Utd v Man City - Man City obviously.

Liverpool v Man Utd - Really tough one, normally support whoever is less likely to win the league so pretty much always Liverpool.

Rangers v Celtic - Celtic, easily. Never been sure why.

Barcelona v Real Madrid - Barcelona, always like them and hate Real (apart from when Ronaldo smashed united) stupid Gallactico's and have nasty Francoist connotations.

AC Milan v Internazionale - AC Milan. No strong feelings though.

England v Argentina - Enlgand for obligitary reasons.

Rugby Union

All Blacks

All Blacks

England v France England

Leinster v Munster. Always preffered the name Munster but Brian O'Driscoll is awesome so do not really mind.

Rugby League Could not care less.

NSW v QLD

Wigan v St Helens

Kiwis v Kangaroos

Aussie Rules

Carlton v Collingwood. I think I saw Collingwood play so them I guess but for some reason I associate them with rather dull scrappy play and a North east accent. Carlton is a silly name though.

Cricket

England v Australia - England obviously

Pakistan v India Tricky one this. Used to be India but think I would support Pakistan these days.

Yorkshire v Lancashire - Lancashire easily, no idea why but always always wanted them to beat Yorkshire.

NSW v Vic
No preferance.

Last edited:

L Trumper

State Regular
Association Football

Arsenal v T*ttenham Don't hate either.

Liverpool v Everton Pool during macca days, afterwards everton.

Man Utd v Man City UTD all the way.

Liverpool v Man Utd Pool during macca days, then UTD

Rangers v Celtic Celtic, no particular reason though; Oh wait they are the first british euro champs, so celtics.

Barcelona v Real Madrid Huge fan of Real, love'em. My favourite club.

AC Milan v Internazionale PAOLO MALDINI is GOD.. Never liked inter

England v Argentina Contrary to popular belief rattin is one of the game's greatest. He wanted an interpreter. No matter what anyone wanted to paint them as, ARG always played more beautifully than ENG. ENG media can go to hell!!!! On supporting, well I hate'em both.

Rugby Union NOPE

Cricket

England v Australia England one of my favourite teams

Pakistan v India Pakistan's bowling, India's batting thats the way it is for the last 2 decades, it'll continue on and on.....

Yorkshire v Lancashire Yorks. Hutton played for'em, so is tendulkar.

Others

Sox over yanks, Celtics over lakers, Germany over holland

pasag

RTDAS
Aussie Rules

Carlton v Collingwood.

Cricket

England v Australia

Pakistan v India

NSW v Vic

Pothas is a silly name, FTR :dry:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
**** me far too many Frenchlovers
Association Football

Arsenal v
T*ttenham

Liverpool v
EvertonMan Utd v Man City

Liverpool v
Man Utd

Rangers v
CelticBarcelona v Real Madrid

AC Milan v
Internazionale

England v
Argentina

Rugby Union

The All Blacks v
The Wallabies

The All Blacks v
The Springboks

England v
France

Leinster v
Munster

Rugby League

NSW v QLD

Wigan v
St Helens

Kiwis v
Kangaroos

Aussie Rules

Carlton v
Collingwood

Cricket

England v
Australia

Pakistan v
India

Yorkshi*e v Lancashire

NSW v Vic

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Association Football

Arsenal v T*ttenham- Arsenal have always been either too boring for me to like, too good for me to like, or both.

Liverpool v Everton- Liverpool are evil.

Man Utd v Man City

Liverpool v Man Utd

Rangers v Celtic- Supporters very slightly less scummy imo. Dislike them both though.

Barcelona v Real Madrid- The non-Fascist element. But really it's because I got a Barcelona shirt with Koeman on the back when I was five.

AC Milan v Internazionale- not keen on either, going for the underdogs. And Benitez is a scouse ****.

England v Argentina- The English football team make baby Jesus cry.

Rugby Union

The All Blacks v The Wallabies- Haven't yet ganged up on Brian O'Driscoll off the ball.

The All Blacks v The Springboks- Ditto, gouging ****s though.

England v France- Style.

Leinster v Munster- The 41-34 victory over Toulouse in the Heineken Cup quarter-final converted me. Support both though.

Cricket

England v Australia- Dates back to the Warne days, could go either way in November though, England have a particularly easy to like cricket team at the moment.

Pakistan v India- I like fast bowling.

Yorkshire v Lancashire- I live there and Yorkshire are ****s.

cover drive man

International Captain
Typical scouser meself,

Football

Liverpool vs Everton -Liverpool

Liverpool vs Man U -Liverpool

Man U vs Man C -Man C

England vs Argentina -England

Barca vs Real Madrid -I just enjoy watching the football with this one.

Rugby League

Wigan vs St Helens -St Helens

Cricket

England vs Australia -England

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Association football

Rangers v Celtic - Scottish family and all.

Cricket

England v Australia - depends on the players really. Hate Ponting so England at the moment.

Pakistan v India - obv

Yorkshire v Lancashire - Wasim's team for something like a decade.

Would like to see where people stand on Celtics vs Lakers as well.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Association Football

Arsenal v Tottenham- Used to go down and watch them play pretty regularly. Dinner with the players a few times and always on the field replacing divots at half time. I have a small soft spot for Spurs. Arsenal on the other hand are loathsome.

Liverpool v Everton- Im a Liverpool fan

Man Utd v Man City- pfft, City I guess.

Liverpool v Man Utd

Rangers v Celtic- I am a British Catholic. Emphasis on the former and Mark Hateley was the man

Barcelona v Real Madrid- My Best Mans family comes from Barca

AC Milan v Internazionale- No interest

England v Argentina- Obv

Rugby Union

The All Blacks v The Wallabies- Meh

The All Blacks v The Springboks- Boks on the basis of having lived there

England v France-

Leinster v Munster- Who?

Rugby League

NSW v QLD- A great game to watch as a neutral

Wigan v St Helens

Kiwis v Kangaroos

Aussie Rules

Carlton v Collingwood- Dont know

Cricket

England v Australia

Pakistan v India- Not a fan of Pakistan cricket

Yorkshire v Lancashire- Men vs boys really. A strong, proud, united nation within a nation (Yorkshire) vs a small, loose collection of city councils.

NSW v Vic- No pref

Last edited:

fredfertang

Association Football

Arsenal v T*ttenham
All other things being equal Spurs but no big deal

Liverpool v Everton Moyes lot

Man Utd v Man City Don't mind

Liverpool v Man Utd United

Rangers v Celtic Don't care

Barcelona v Real Madrid Don't care

AC Milan v Internazionale Don't care

England v Argentina Care a ****ing great deal

Rugby Union

Don't care

The All Blacks v The Springboks Don't care

England v France
Vive L'Angleterre

Leinster v Munster Dont care

Rugby League Used to be a Blackpool Borough supporter - lost all interest in the game years ago

NSW v QLD

Wigan v St Helens

Kiwis v Kangaroos

Aussie Rules

Carlton v Collingwood
Dont care

Cricket

England v Australia
Us

Pakistan v India Depends on the individuals playing but usually Pakistan

Yorkshire v Lancashire Lanky

NSW v Vic Dont care

Flyonthewall

U19 Captain
Will stick to the original list as Brumby provided, despite the criminal lack of Villa vs Birmingham. :ph34r:. Good thread though, this one.

Association Football

Arsenal vs Tottenham- Arsenal because all of my Mother's side of the family are Arsenal fans and because I find Spurs rather annoying.

Liverpool vs Everton- Everton, because they're not Liverpool.

Manchester United vs Manchester City- Hmmm, tricky one this. I think I'm leaning towards United because of the vile and cynical way in which City are attempting to buy my club (Villa)'s best player each off-season (like they haven't got five central midfielders already, FFS). Both pretty awful though.

Liverpool vs Manchester United- Cancer or AIDS?

Rangers vs Celtic- Celtic, because O'Neill is a legend and because they have better fans than Rangers (less violence). Don't care for the religious element of the rivalry at all though.

Barcelona vs Real Madrid- Barcelona, like Uppercut because of the non-fascistic history. Additionally because royal tosspot Cristiano Ronaldo doesn't play for them.

AC Milan vs Internazionale
- Internazionale, because I've always liked their kit, and because they aren't owned by Silvio Berlesconi.

England vs Argentina- England, because I'm English. Although, to be honest, I've never really held much interest in international football.

Rugby Union[/I]

New Zealand vs Australia- Hold little interest. New Zealand I guess.

New Zealand vs South Africa- Again, New Zealand. South Africa's rugby team strike me as a nasty bunch.

England vs France- England, obviously.

Leinster vs Munster- No real preference on this one.

Cricket

England vs Australia- Surprisingly, I think I might just be supporting England on this one.

Pakistan vs India- Would probably support Pakistan. Hate the BCCI for everything they stand for and, despite it all, I love the unpredictability of Pakistan cricket. Sehwag's awesomeness almost drags it towards India though.

Yorkshire vs Lancashire- Yorkshire, they have the more interesting history for mine, so many great characters have played for them over the years. Obviously that can be said for Lancashire too but not quite as much, I reckon.

New South Wales vs Victoria- No preference really. Should say New South Wales if only because Katich plays for them, but this is balanced out by the fact that Michael Clarke also does.

I'm not going to offer my opinion on the Rugby League and Aussie Rules ones simplay because I lack interest and knowledge in those sports.