• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ITM Cup 2010

ripper868

International Coach
betting blind ftw

Round Two Fixtures:
Canterbury
Taranaki
Hawkes Bay
Auckland
Southland
Counties Manukau
Northland

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Manawatu vs Canterbury
Taranaki vs Tasman
Hawkes Bay vs Bay of Plenty
Auckland vs Waikato
Southland vs Otago
Wellington vs Counties Manukau
Northland vs North Harbour

Gone with my heart over my head with Waikato over Aucks. I don't think the Mooloo boys will do well this year - losing Luaki etc.

@ Somerset - what was the final resolution to all the hoohaa last year about reducing the number of 1st division teams down to 10.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
@ Somerset - what was the final resolution to all the hoohaa last year about reducing the number of 1st division teams down to 10.
They reversed their decision to drop teams for this year's competition, and rightly so IMO. The result is that the top 7 this year make up a "first" division next year, with the second 7 making up a secondary division. I'm fairly certain then that the winning secondary division side each season replaces the last placed team in the top 7 for the following year. Essentially though, making the top seven this year is a huge priority for every side.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
They reversed their decision to drop teams for this year's competition, and rightly so IMO. The result is that the top 7 this year make up a "first" division next year, with the second 7 making up a secondary division. I'm fairly certain then that the winning secondary division side each season replaces the last placed team in the top 7 for the following year. Essentially though, making the top seven this year is a huge priority for every side.
...this is news to me- I was following the saga but didn't hear the resolution. Don't like it at all.

Don't like the thought of Cruden being forced to leave Manawatu to get quality games in...
The top 7 will be dominated by Canterbury/Auckland/Wellington/Waikato (perhaps)
Those teams (realise they do become different/stronger during the super 14) get to play against each other enough during the Super competition.

I don't have a better suggestion. And realise it is easy to throw stones and the administrators are trying to solve a big problem.

I guess I better get used to the idea.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
...this is news to me- I was following the saga but didn't hear the resolution. Don't like it at all.

Don't like the thought of Cruden being forced to leave Manawatu to get quality games in...
The top 7 will be dominated by Canterbury/Auckland/Wellington/Waikato (perhaps)
Those teams (realise they do become different/stronger during the super 14) get to play against each other enough during the Super competition.

I don't have a better suggestion. And realise it is easy to throw stones and the administrators are trying to solve a big problem.

I guess I better get used to the idea.
I actually quite like that format - IMO too often in the last few rounds of the Air New Zealand Cup matches were effectively irrelevant. Splitting the teams into two semi-divisions increases the chance that each game has meaning, obviously for the sides with title aspirations but especially those for the sides in 6th-7th in the top division and 8th-10th in the secondary division. Its also nice to see that the top seven teams will be the ones who perform the best this year, so theres merit in determining which sides make up that top seven.

I should've mentioned too that sides in the top seven will still be playing teams in the bottom seven, though from what I understand the exact format hasn't been revealed so I can't expand on that comment. Someone like Cruden, even if Manawatu are in the secondary division, should still be playing the major provinces. Again I'm not sure if that applies next year with RWC limiting the number of NPC matches that are going to be played.

Also keep in mind that Auckland haven't made the top 7 in recent years (they finished below Northland two years ago) and Waikato and Otago haven't been in vintage touch as of late either. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if 4 non-Super 14 based provinces made the top 7 (Hawkes Bay, Southland, BOP, Taranaki the most likely).

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Manawatu vs Canterbury
Taranaki vs Tasman
Auckland vs Waikato
Southland vs Otago

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Canterbury
Taranaki
Hawkes Bay
Auckland
Southland
Wellington
Northland

Again tipping safe, selecting all the home sides besides Manawatu. Considered Tasman and North Harbour though don't think either will be successful this week.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Manawatu vs Canterbury
Taranaki vs Tasman
Auckland vs Waikato
Southland vs Otago

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Manawatu vs Canterbury
Taranaki vs Tasman
Auckland vs Waikato
Southland vs Otago

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Tonight was probably the best game of the competition so far - somehow Manawatu got out to a 26-8 lead through their own impressive play (Cama particularly exciting with ball in hand) and Canterbury's own handling mistakes, strange lack of competitiveness at the breakdown and some odd decision making. Manawatu then lost their captain (Nick Crosswell) and impressive number eight to injuries, had their first choice lock yellow carded, and substituted their goalkicker (Shannon Paku, who had been excellent in the centres anyway) so when they had two fairly regulation kicks from 40 metres out with the score 27-26 in Canterbury's favour, missed them both. A really entertaining game but Manawatu will be kicking themself at not upsetting the supposed best team in the competition.

Last edited:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Well selected Samuel - BOP played well, defended resolutely in the second half in particular before blitzing Hawkes Bay with some late tries in the final 10 minutes. Some really impressive counter attacks and ball skills from the BOP; Colin Bourke's try particularly impressive. Looks like Taranaki had a relatively comfortable victory over Tasman, was expecting them to win with similar ease last week TBH.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Watched the Tasman game - lots of endeavour, but a lot of missed chances for the South Islanders. Taranaki fairly solid though. Poki had a terrible game for Tasman - he seems to be heading backwards.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Well done Waikato. Enjoyed seeing the forwards put in a show of grit and determination. Waikato have it in for Auckland and always get up for the game. But my head told me that Auckland would win. Glad I went with my heart.

Waikato ftw

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
You'd have been considered crazy if you thought that Counties Manukau would be 2/2 after two weeks, with wins over Otago and Wellington, though thats whats happened. Even with Tana they were fantastic today (although like Otago last week, Wellington were extremely sloppy with some of their execution and general skills). It might be a long shot but they've got a Ranfurly Shield challenge next week....wouldn't that be a story and a half.