• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bandwagon Fan

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I had this debate with Matteh during the world cup and according to him me, or any one who is a big team supporter is a bandwagon fan (mostly).

I want to clarify on this because I am not very sure what a bandwagon fan actually means.

I followed FC Barcelona when

a) They were not the best side in the world or in their league (they were third AFAIK). Real Madrid was the big team. I wasn't aware of all that nitty gritty any way.

b) I wasn't aware of any other Barcelona fans.

c) I liked their style of football and started to follow them.

Was I bandwagon jumping? What comprises and doesn't comprise being a bandwagon fan?

Cheers.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
In a sport such as soccer/football, where success breeds success and can last generations rather than years because of the nature of the system, I think that when you choose a side rather than be born into it, and choose a team with a history of success, then it is viewed as different to other sports with salary caps and equalisation measures.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
In a sport such as soccer/football, where success breeds success and can last generations rather than years because of the nature of the system, I think that when you choose a side rather than be born into it, and choose a team with a history of success, then it is viewed as different to other sports with salary caps and equalisation measures.
Ha, so well put

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I had a friend who just happened to support, during the 1990s:

- the Detroit Red Wings
- New York Yankees
- Manchester United and Liverpool (he switched between the two)
- the Chicago Bulls
- Green Bay Packers

He was taking bandwagoning to the nth degree, it's fair to say.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think theres anything wrong with jumping on the bandwagon of successful sporting teams as at the end of the day its your discretion who you choose to support and loathe. Personally I've supported some average sides and stuck with them through poorer times just because I'd feel disappointed in myself if I was to stop supporting them, yet at the same time in a different sport or a different league felt compelled to get behind more successful sides.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I think there's definitely an element of bandwagon jumping on here. Seem to be a lot more India supporters signing up to the site ever since we started dominating.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Dont think you have to justify supporting any side.
Sez the Carlton fan.. :ph34r:

Actually, tbf, what little I've ascertained about Aussie Rules over my years on CW suggests your Blues are one of the least likely to attract bandwagoneers.

Nah, agree with you, tbh. I mean, geographical proximity to where one grows is probably the soundest reason for supporting a team, but given one usually makes the decision as a child, pretty much anything can be the spur.

I have no family links to The Arsenal and grew up about 70 miles away (quite a distance in the UK), but latched on as a kid and have been a fan for nearly three decades now. I keep an eye out for my local side and attend their games semi-regularly, but I can't get over my first love, which will always be The Arsenal.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Actually, tbf, what little I've ascertained about Aussie Rules over my years on CW suggests your Blues are one of the least likely to attract bandwagoneers.
Gotta be kidding. They've won the most premierships!

pasag

RTDAS

Nah, agree with you, tbh. I mean, geographical proximity to where one grows is probably the soundest reason for supporting a team, but given one usually makes the decision as a child, pretty much anything can be the spur.

I have no family links to The Arsenal and grew up about 70 miles away (quite a distance in the UK), but latched on as a kid and have been a fan for nearly three decades now. I keep an eye out for my local side and attend their games semi-regularly, but I can't get over my first love, which will always be The Arsenal.
Yeah, have lived in St Kilda pretty much all my life, but couldn't care less about that side. The Carlton support comes from birth though, my grandfather grew up there and it has been passed down the generations since.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not since God was a lad tho? Probly wrong for all I know.

Liverpool the same over here, most titles (well, equal now) but none since 1990.
They won it in '95 and were beaten by a far, far superior side in the grand final in '99

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Bandwagon Rule 1- It does not apply to kids

Bandwagon Rule 2- If you change the team you support then you are a ****

Here is the problem with latecomers to a sport being bandwagon fans. If they pick a successful and big team then they are being a little disrespectful to the long term fans that have an emotional investment and long term relationship with the team.

IMO, latecomers can only be casual fans of a team. There is nothing wrong with this and it is a good thing. However, if they act like they are passionate and have an intensity then they are misguided. If they do that and then change their support in the future then jail time is not harsh enough penalty for them.

When I moved to the States, I was already a massive American Football team, I decided not to support either of the local teams (SF or Oakland) as it didnt feel right given I was picking a team and wasnt born into it and didnt share the same baggage with the team as the 'real' fans.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach

Here is the problem with latecomers to a sport being bandwagon fans. If they pick a successful and big team then they are being a little disrespectful to the long term fans that have an emotional investment and long term relationship with the team.

IMO, latecomers can only be casual fans of a team. There is nothing wrong with this and it is a good thing. However, if they act like they are passionate and have an intensity then they are misguided. If they do that and then change their support in the future then jail time is not harsh enough penalty for them.

When I moved to the States, I was already a massive American Football team, I decided not to support either of the local teams (SF or Oakland) as it didnt feel right given I was picking a team and wasnt born into it and didnt share the same baggage with the team as the 'real' fans.
You did say your suits didn't fit anymore, but I didn't realize it was that bad.

BoyBrumby

Englishman

Neil "Blackburn Rovers" Pickup to respond. :ph34r:

Generally agree tho, I've always doubted the moral fibre of people who chop and change.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Guilty to be honest, followed Newcastle as well as (and for a time more so than) Brentford from the age of about 8 until 17. Slowly began to give them up when I realised the premiership was **** (plus hated the way they sacked bobby and got Souness) and I could not properly follow as side unless I could see them live more than twice a year.

Also watched a fair bit of Reading when I was at school but put that down to enjoying going to watch live football more than anything else.

My dad did the same though, supported Liverpool for years but abandoned them in favour of the bees when he started watching them live in the 80's.

Last edited: