• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bandwagon Fan

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Fair enough of you not to consider me a hardcore fan 'given' your definition of a hardcore fan.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bandwagon Jumper, have no allegiance to any particular team, like supporting players/team that perform well. Never spend my hard earned money on a team/player jersey. I watch whatever comes on Cable or whatever is free.
This. :ph34r:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think Zac put it best. In the end, you don't have to justify the team you support to any one. It's the team you are a fan of. End of. Disagreed with you regarding fan SS. So all the West Indians who followed Windies cricket in their 20 years of dominance weren't really fans?

No, because they were West Indian. You aren't from Miami and haven't grown up there.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't think you have to be from somewhere to be a true fan,I mean smitteh is more devoted to citeh than a lot of reds and blues I know are to their showers, for example. Just very few cross that line into hardcore imo.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I am a Manchester United fan really and a Michael Schumacher fan.

I think the only two sporting teams or individuals I support except ofcourse India and Indian athlethes in some divisions.

I started supported united in 2002 and it wasn't the most glorious periods for us after that. Though United were still amongst the best teams in the world.
Do not know where it puts me as a fan and in what category for a fan. Or the fact that i have only visited 4 matches involving united till date ,one in thailand, one in Japan and 2 in manchester which i think for a 19 yr old living in India is decent.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
So what do you do when United lose a game ?
I get upset for atleast a day if it is a major game.

The reaction is less so depressing if it is a smaller game. And probably lasts only about one hour or 2 and i post in some forums to get over it or discuss it with my friend who is also a united fan.

A couple of years ago after any loss ,specially if the rivals won i used to get upset and avoid all sports news,highlights and the internet till the next match involving United. But now i have handled taking the dissapointment better as it is part and parcel of the game.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
No, because they were West Indian. You aren't from Miami and haven't grown up there.
I don't think fact that you are West Indian matters. A lot of West Indian cricket supporters stopped supporting the team once they entered perennial decline at one point or the other.

What about Lakers fans?

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Let me clarify, if you arrive late to something, lets say 18 years old, and then claim to be a hardcore fan after a year then that bothers me. On the other hand, if you get into something at 18 and then 10 years or so later it is far more legit to claim to be a hardcore fan as you have paid your dues. Im not sure I ever used the word 'true fan' though as casual fans are very important to all sports. Becoming a fan as a young person enables you to put the foundation down earlier than a latercomer and build that investment of years of emotion and time.

Also, if you come late to something, no matter how much you get into it and be a loyal and ardent supporter it can never quite be the same as those that grew up with it in their blood and had it as a heavily influential and defining part of their formative years and childhood. It doesnt mean someone cant be a huge and passionate fan. It just means their experience cannot quite replicate those that grew up knowing nothing else.
Yeah that makes sense. Totally agreed with the second para as well. I love the Bulls through and through, but I don't see myself getting incredibly passionate about them as I would with the Pakistani cricket team, who have in the recent past made me punch holes in walls and even give up on cricket altogether.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I don't think fact that you are West Indian matters. A lot of West Indian cricket supporters stopped supporting the team once they entered perennial decline at one point or the other.
How did they stop supporting the team? By not showing up to watch them suck? Not exactly the same as picking up a different team.

What about Lakers fans?
Scum of the earth.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Obviously not US-born/bred but have been Blackhawks fan since high school when I discovered ice hockey. Still got the holy (and holey) jersey from 13 years ago my sis brought back from the US on her honeymoon (pre-dates eBay/online purchasing so means a lot) so if anyone calls me a bandwagon jumper because they finally won a Stanley Cup this season, they can go **** themselves. Still got a photo of me using it as a lab coat in 1997, right before I spilt conc. sulphuric acid on it. :cry:

Have always had a soft spot for Panicstan in cricket too, always love their 'crushing win or crash and burn like a raging inferno' style. When they win, hard not to get swept up in the emotion of it.

Being born into a team has its downsides, though. Family has been hardcore South Adelaide fans since time immemorial and they haven't won a premiership since 1964 nor have they looked likely. Nor do they ever look likely to win one again..... :(

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think your definition is very strict.

I think any one who tries to watch every game he possibly can is hardcore enough.
Well what does possibly mean in that context? I don't think you really understand the meaning of the word hardcore tbh. Yes my definition is strict, that's because I understand the English language.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Being born into a team has its downsides, though. Family has been hardcore South Adelaide fans since time immemorial and they haven't won a premiership since 1964 nor have they looked likely. Nor do they ever look likely to win one again..... :(
Just on this, one thing I've always wondered about "franchise" leagues, like AFL, is where they draw their support from for expansion teams. Adelaide started relatively recently and I imagine a lot of SA Aussie Rules fans like yourself had already pledged their troth to an SANFL side or got behind an existing AFL team.

Just wondered how you felt about Adelaide (I'm assuming you're anti Port here, given their SANFL history) yourself and where the Crows mainly draw their fanbase from.

One pro of the promotion and relegation model I've always thought is that one's team always has a slim chance of making it to the top flight, even if only in theory; for South Adelaide even if they dominated their league (however unlikely a scenario that may be) they'd be reliant of the largesse of administrators to get a spot on the top table.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I thought many times before posting it but he was carrying on post after post. But I cop your warning. Fair play.

Last edited:

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I agree with Corrin, from the sounds of it Pratters, you're a devoted fan, you do what you can to follow Barcelona etc etc but in England there is a difference between being devoted and being hardcore. I know it's not exactly feasible for you but hardcore fans will be season ticket holders, travelling to away games, literally eating, breathing, sleeping their football club. There's no shame in not being a hardcore fan.

Shri

Mr. Glass
I agree with Corrin, from the sounds of it Pratters, you're a devoted fan, you do what you can to follow Barcelona etc etc but in England there is a difference between being devoted and being hardcore. I know it's not exactly feasible for you but hardcore fans will be season ticket holders, travelling to away games, literally eating, breathing, sleeping their football club. There's no shame in not being a hardcore fan.
So, just rich guys are hardcore then? Having the buck to travel to another country to follow their team?