• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bandwagon Fan

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I have seen early on I am not very concrete based on teams but based on players on some occassions. When Jordan was playing, I was supporting the Bulls, then when he retired, I started supporting Heat (Tim Hardaway) and Lakers (Shaq). Then when Shaq moved to Heat, I became a hardcore Heat fan and have been ever since.
Best you don't come around here, because you'd never be allowed into a proper sporting bar with that attitude. Following superstars makes you a groupie, not a fan.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I support Heat now for life SS, DCYE, glory hunting flog or not. :)

And I HATE Lebron got transferred to us. I was happy as it was with Wade in our side. Now every one hates the Heat.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
"Us"

How can you use the term "us' when you supported other teams prior to the Heat.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Nah you can't. Heat were never crap in the time you supported them. You followed a superstars and it's had a superstar since.

Five years after all three retire, and they have no one and they're near the bottom of the league year after year, and if you still support them, then you can use the term 'we'.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure I agree with Goughy unless I misunderstood the bit about latecomers. I moved here towards the end of the Bulls' dynasty but I stuck with them for 12 years of mediocrity following Jordan's retirement. And I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say I'm the most ardent and loyal follower of the team out of everyone I know. Should I never claim to be a true fan simply because I was a latecomer?
Let me clarify, if you arrive late to something, lets say 18 years old, and then claim to be a hardcore fan after a year then that bothers me. On the other hand, if you get into something at 18 and then 10 years or so later it is far more legit to claim to be a hardcore fan as you have paid your dues. Im not sure I ever used the word 'true fan' though as casual fans are very important to all sports. Becoming a fan as a young person enables you to put the foundation down earlier than a latercomer and build that investment of years of emotion and time.

Also, if you come late to something, no matter how much you get into it and be a loyal and ardent supporter it can never quite be the same as those that grew up with it in their blood and had it as a heavily influential and defining part of their formative years and childhood. It doesnt mean someone cant be a huge and passionate fan. It just means their experience cannot quite replicate those that grew up knowing nothing else.

Personally I wouldnt call myself a hardcore fan of any team in any sport but I feel that Liverpool FC and Yorkshire are a part of me that goes beyond choosing a team and will be with me forever and have been since before I can remember.

Last edited:

cpr

International Coach
I feel that Liverpool FC and Yorkshire are a part of me that goes beyond choosing a team and will be with me forever and have been since before I can remember.
... and yet I still have a huge amount of respect for you.... It just doesnt add up

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Nah you can't. Heat were never crap in the time you supported them. You followed a superstars and it's had a superstar since.

Five years after all three retire, and they have no one and they're near the bottom of the league year after year, and if you still support them, then you can use the term 'we'.
I am their fan for life, whether they come 1st or 30th. I have been a Heat fan for 10 years now and I will through the toughest time. I know that. I see what you mean though.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
... and yet I still have a huge amount of respect for you.... It just doesnt add up
:)

The Liverpool thing is wierd. Football was my life as a child. I mean most kids love football but it was my life from the age of 3. Every second of every day was consumed by playing football and when not playing it was consumed by Liverpool. Once it became clear I was not mentally tough enough to go pro and decided to focus on academics and cricket. I kept playing but following Liverpool and the Prem declined little-by-little every year.

I cant explain it adequately. I dont really watch or follow Liverpool that much anymore but I cant shake them and it partly defines who I am and was a huge part of my upbringing.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Just checked and it turns out I misread your post.

Why would you define yourself as a hardcore Barca fan? I struggle to call myself a hardcore Tranmere fan these days
I fell in love with the way they play their football and have been in ever since. I follow every game they play and become a deeper fan every few days. I am reading a book about the history of the club and I become more fascinated every time. I love the Barca team colors. I love the Nou Camp and one of my goals in life is to watch a major Match at Nou Camp. La Liga comes at midnight IST but I still watched every game I could. Last year ESPN-Star stopped broadcasting La Liga. I still followed them ardently in all ways possible over the internet. I love Iniesta (my fav player). I saw him develop from a substitute teo what he is now. I love Puyol. I love every thing about the club. I am Barca to the core.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
You did not explain how you are a hardcore fan

Any fan would 'follow' every game. You have to do a lot more than that to be hardcore, IMO.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I am their fan for life, whether they come 1st or 30th. I have been a Heat fan for 10 years now and I will through the toughest time. I know that. I see what you mean though.
You won't be the a fan until you do. And you'll always have the stigma of joining them as a superstar groupie.

Now if you picked Cleveland to root for today, and stuck with them, you could become a fan much quicker.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
You won't be the a fan until you do. And you'll always have the stigma of joining them as a superstar groupie.

Now if you picked Cleveland to root for today, and stuck with them, you could become a fan much quicker.
Find myself in an awkward situation now, where I was a very casual follower of the Heat and now I don't really want to say that, because I'll sound like a glory hunter.

Same situation when I was a casual fan of Chelsea, and then Roman took over with all the cash. Leave my teams in competitive land, not superstardom. :(