Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 60

Thread: Why Is EPL the best football league in the world?

  1. #1
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata, India
    Posts
    20,793

    Why Is EPL the best football league in the world?

    I must say first hand that I am not very knowledgeable about football. I watch on and off but I haven't gone deep into the game yet. Please explain and help me understand why it is the best league in the world, if you feel so. If you feel it isn't (which I doubt many will given what I see in the forum), please give the alternate view.
    Sportolysis Pratosphere

    Email - pratterscricket[@]gmail.com

  2. #2
    Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    DRS Box
    Posts
    19,015
    Its not bad, but not the best, a fair bit behind League 1 in terms of quality
    Dave Mohammed >>>> You

  3. #3
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    55,173
    Who is going to be the first guy to complain about it being called 'EPL'?
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

    Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

  4. #4
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,156
    Never heard of it. Which current AFL players were drafted from there?
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

    Thanks.


  5. #5
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    55,173
    None. Those draftees were assessed and couldn't last more than one half of a footy game.

    Gold Coast were thinking about recruiting Rooney anyway though

  6. #6
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    None. Those draftees were assessed and couldn't last more than one half of a footy game.

    Gold Coast were thinking about recruiting Rooney anyway though
    Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls to Tottenham??

  7. #7
    World Traveller Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Super Happy Fun Sugar Lollipop Land!
    Posts
    34,131
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls to Tottenham??
    Would get delisted after a year and then a year later at his new club, Tottenham would have realised their big mistake.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

    Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

  8. #8
    International Captain
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    england
    Posts
    5,814
    Hoof.

  9. #9
    vcs
    vcs is offline
    International Coach vcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,305
    Much as I dislike the "Best League in the World" hype coming from the English Premier League, its main competitor for that distinction, La Liga, is turning into a skillful Scottish League. The difference in points between Barcelona/Madrid and the rest last year was disgraceful and the individual TV rights are turning that league into a two-team league. So, yeah, at this point in time, I think it's fair to say that the EPL is the best league, all things considered.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

  10. #10
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    55,173
    Pretty bad when the EPL is the most unpredictable of the major football leagues.

  11. #11
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anyone But England
    Posts
    20,235
    Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    Much as I dislike the "Best League in the World" hype coming from the English Premier League, its main competitor for that distinction, La Liga, is turning into a skillful Scottish League. The difference in points between Barcelona/Madrid and the rest last year was disgraceful and the individual TV rights are turning that league into a two-team league. So, yeah, at this point in time, I think it's fair to say that the EPL is the best league, all things considered.
    La Liga is better for 2 reasons IMO:

    1. Barca v Real is now the most box office clash in world football. Mourinho vs Guardiola, defence vs attack, top scorers in the World Cup thus far on opposite sides (Higuain vs Villa), 2 most recent Ballon D'Or winners (Ronaldo vs Messi), Spain vs Catalunya, money vs homegrown (albeit that's looking at it simplistically). No other clash in the world has as much going for it.

    2. The standard of football IMO is far better in La Liga. Although it's turning into a two horse race, you still get excellent football below the top 2 - I'd far rather tune in to see Sevilla vs Valencia or Atletico Madrid vs Athletic Bilbao than say, Villa v Sunderland or Fulham vs Everton.

  12. #12
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    22,939
    I'd rather watch Dunfermline vs Hibs than those lot. Bunch of soft diving ****s.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

  13. #13
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    57,785
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    2. The standard of football IMO is far better in La Liga. Although it's turning into a two horse race, you still get excellent football below the top 2 - I'd far rather tune in to see Sevilla vs Valencia or Atletico Madrid vs Athletic Bilbao than say, Villa v Sunderland or Fulham vs Everton.
    Nice use of equivalents there
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

    Anyone want to join the Society?

    Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

  14. #14
    vcs
    vcs is offline
    International Coach vcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,305
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    La Liga is better for 2 reasons IMO:

    1. Barca v Real is now the most box office clash in world football. Mourinho vs Guardiola, defence vs attack, top scorers in the World Cup thus far on opposite sides (Higuain vs Villa), 2 most recent Ballon D'Or winners (Ronaldo vs Messi), Spain vs Catalunya, money vs homegrown (albeit that's looking at it simplistically). No other clash in the world has as much going for it.

    2. The standard of football IMO is far better in La Liga. Although it's turning into a two horse race, you still get excellent football below the top 2 - I'd far rather tune in to see Sevilla vs Valencia or Atletico Madrid vs Athletic Bilbao than say, Villa v Sunderland or Fulham vs Everton.
    Yeah, agree that teams in Spain play a much better style of football and have the big stars, but the money that Madrid/Barcelona throw around makes the title race a farce. You could as well have had a playoff to decide who wins the title out of those two. It's strange because it wasn't that way two or three years back. The individual TV deals make it really hard for Valencia/Atletico/Villarreal to compete with Madrid/Barcelona. There's no such thing as a level playing field as the top clubs operate at a different financial plane in every league, but La Liga takes it to extreme heights.

    The fact that Real Madrid nearly flat-track-bullied their way to the title this year made it a very poor season for La Liga. I refuse to believe that they can look that ordinary against Lyon/Barcelona/AC Milan and roll over everybody else in Spain.

  15. #15
    Cricketer Of The Year Mr Casson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    9,652
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Would get delisted after a year and then a year later at his new club, Tottenham would have realised their big mistake.
    Yes that does sound in line with what happens at Richmond.
    'Copperfield,' said Mr. Micawber, 'farewell! Every happiness and prosperity! If, in the progress of revolving years, I could persuade myself that my blighted destiny had been a warning to you, I should feel that I had not occupied another man's place in existence altogether in vain.
    - Wilkins Micawber

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. World League
    By FOB in forum General
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27-05-2009, 12:27 AM
  2. Men's and Women's Twenty20 World Cups
    By James in forum Fantasy Cricket
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-05-2009, 06:27 AM
  3. Replies: 45
    Last Post: 08-05-2009, 01:47 PM
  4. Replies: 66
    Last Post: 17-12-2007, 03:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •