• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why Is EPL the best football league in the world?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I must say first hand that I am not very knowledgeable about football. I watch on and off but I haven't gone deep into the game yet. Please explain and help me understand why it is the best league in the world, if you feel so. If you feel it isn't (which I doubt many will given what I see in the forum), please give the alternate view.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
None. Those draftees were assessed and couldn't last more than one half of a footy game.

Gold Coast were thinking about recruiting Rooney anyway though :ph34r:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Much as I dislike the "Best League in the World" hype coming from the English Premier League, its main competitor for that distinction, La Liga, is turning into a skillful Scottish League. The difference in points between Barcelona/Madrid and the rest last year was disgraceful and the individual TV rights are turning that league into a two-team league. So, yeah, at this point in time, I think it's fair to say that the EPL is the best league, all things considered.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Pretty bad when the EPL is the most unpredictable of the major football leagues.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Much as I dislike the "Best League in the World" hype coming from the English Premier League, its main competitor for that distinction, La Liga, is turning into a skillful Scottish League. The difference in points between Barcelona/Madrid and the rest last year was disgraceful and the individual TV rights are turning that league into a two-team league. So, yeah, at this point in time, I think it's fair to say that the EPL is the best league, all things considered.
La Liga is better for 2 reasons IMO:

1. Barca v Real is now the most box office clash in world football. Mourinho vs Guardiola, defence vs attack, top scorers in the World Cup thus far on opposite sides (Higuain vs Villa), 2 most recent Ballon D'Or winners (Ronaldo vs Messi), Spain vs Catalunya, money vs homegrown (albeit that's looking at it simplistically). No other clash in the world has as much going for it.

2. The standard of football IMO is far better in La Liga. Although it's turning into a two horse race, you still get excellent football below the top 2 - I'd far rather tune in to see Sevilla vs Valencia or Atletico Madrid vs Athletic Bilbao than say, Villa v Sunderland or Fulham vs Everton.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd rather watch Dunfermline vs Hibs than those lot. Bunch of soft diving ****s.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
2. The standard of football IMO is far better in La Liga. Although it's turning into a two horse race, you still get excellent football below the top 2 - I'd far rather tune in to see Sevilla vs Valencia or Atletico Madrid vs Athletic Bilbao than say, Villa v Sunderland or Fulham vs Everton.
Nice use of equivalents there 8-)

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
La Liga is better for 2 reasons IMO:

1. Barca v Real is now the most box office clash in world football. Mourinho vs Guardiola, defence vs attack, top scorers in the World Cup thus far on opposite sides (Higuain vs Villa), 2 most recent Ballon D'Or winners (Ronaldo vs Messi), Spain vs Catalunya, money vs homegrown (albeit that's looking at it simplistically). No other clash in the world has as much going for it.

Yeah, agree that teams in Spain play a much better style of football and have the big stars, but the money that Madrid/Barcelona throw around makes the title race a farce. You could as well have had a playoff to decide who wins the title out of those two. It's strange because it wasn't that way two or three years back. The individual TV deals make it really hard for Valencia/Atletico/Villarreal to compete with Madrid/Barcelona. There's no such thing as a level playing field as the top clubs operate at a different financial plane in every league, but La Liga takes it to extreme heights.

The fact that Real Madrid nearly flat-track-bullied their way to the title this year made it a very poor season for La Liga. I refuse to believe that they can look that ordinary against Lyon/Barcelona/AC Milan and roll over everybody else in Spain.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Nice use of equivalents there 8-)
Was naming random teams rather than going for a like for like equivelant - point still stands as outside of watching Arsenal or some Man Utd games, I have absolutely no interest in watching the EPL.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes, but randomly picking the 3rd and 4th placed sides and comparing them to mid-table sides isn't fair.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Was naming random teams rather than going for a like for like equivelant - point still stands as outside of watching Arsenal or some Man Utd games, I have absolutely no interest in watching the EPL.
Are Wigan still in the league?

Looking forward to their tilt at the title this year. Been promised it for a while :ph34r: