• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why Is EPL the best football league in the world?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The best EPL teams play in a similar style to Netherlands and Germany, while the La Liga teams play like the Spanish national team... slower build-up, more short passes in midfield and emphasis on ball-retention.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
What are the differences in style?
Ill be overly simplistic for a second, the Prem is is generally considered quicker. Not just quicker of foot and movement but players have to think quicker and have less time on the ball. Players in the EPL are expected to be more physical in terms of how much work they put in and how much contact they can expect. It is a faster game with generally more happening. The upshot of that is that is that some prettiness and skill is lost. One of the reasons a number of foreign players find it hard to adjust is that it is harder to exhibit the same skill level and technique that they are used to when they are being rushed and expected to cover such large distances in games.

To go a bit deeper, the EPL probably has more teams that play differently stylistically than other Leagues within this frantic and physical framework. Eg Man U play very differently to Arsenal who play very differently to Liverpool etc and so on.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
From what I have watched, I prefer the style of the la liga to that of the EPL personally.

Redbacks

International Captain
EPL = T20
La Liga = ODI
Serie A = Test Cricket

Want to be an all time great, shine in Test cricket and possibly in ODI's. More money to the T20 players, more people like to watch it too.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
EPL = T20
La Liga = ODI
Serie A = Test Cricket

Want to be an all time great, shine in Test cricket and possibly in ODI's. More money to the T20 players, more people like to watch it too.
Nah, Test cricket is entertaining

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't think this is true at all. It's just difficult to adapt to a style of football you're not used to, and England plays a different style of football to most of the world. Spanish and Italian players do often struggle when they come to England, but I suspect English players would struggle just as much if many of them went abroad. While none of Beckham, Owen and McManaman completely disgraced themselves in Spain, they were all significantly less successful than they had been at home.
Hmm, Owen performed the same for Real as he has pretty much everywhere else prior to the last couple of years - regular goals. His time in Spain extremely underrated.

McManaman had more success in Spain than he ever had for Liverpool.

To answer Craig's earlier question, Aldo clearly the best ever export overseas FTR

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
From what I have watched, I prefer the style of the la liga to that of the EPL personally.
Don't think you've mentioned that before tbh.

And with regards to the question of Premiership Exports, Beckham's form in his last season at Real Madrid was pretty damn close to his best in my estimation.

vcs

The fact that Barcelona and Real Madrid supply pretty much the entire Spanish side doesn't say much for the depth of competition in La Liga. The individual TV rights have made the league completely lopsided.

In England, on the other hand, the top 4 clubs are overstocked with foreign players and not enough young English talent is coming through.

Neither of the two leagues has got the balance just right.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The fact that Barcelona and Real Madrid supply pretty much the entire Spanish side doesn't say much for the depth of competition in La Liga. The individual TV rights have made the league completely lopsided.

In England, on the other hand, the top 4 clubs are overstocked with foreign players and not enough young English talent is coming through.

Neither of the two leagues has got the balance just right.
Erm, surely the fact that the top 2 in Spain supply a lot of the Spanish side (Real don't contribute that much) is an indication that the best Spanish players are playing for the best clubs? That counts as a positive IMO.

vcs

Makes the rest of the league pointless actually. Share them around FFS.
Exactly. You need to have a fairly balanced distribution of talent for a competitive league. Might as well hold a playoff between Madrid-Barca at the start of the season for the title and let the rest play for 3rd place.

Mind you, it wasn't this bad as recently as a couple of years back when Barca finished third. Real Madrid's recent Galactico splurge has reduced the league to a farce. What's more, many La Liga clubs that used to be competitive in recent times are now in dire straits financially and forced to sell their best players to the top two (see Valencia and Villa and Silva with Dani Alves). La Liga is in poor health at this point of time. The individual TV rights are making it impossible for the others to compete.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Re orignal question.

"Of the 736 players participating in the tournament (2010 WC), over half play their club football in five European domestic leagues; those in England (117 players), Germany (84), Italy (80), Spain (59) and France (46)."

Interesting that the English Leagues (I dont say EPL as there may be a few in the Championship for all I know) have double the participation of the Spanish.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Erm, surely the fact that the top 2 in Spain supply a lot of the Spanish side (Real don't contribute that much) is an indication that the best Spanish players are playing for the best clubs? That counts as a positive IMO.
For once I actually agree with you. Not massively bothered who all the England players play for to be honest, though I would probably prefer it if they played for a decent side, but having them all together isn't a problem, it's probably a good thing. The fact that they already play as a team together for their club sides is hardly something that is likely to harm a national team.

Agent TBY

International Captain
For once I actually agree with you. Not massively bothered who all the England players play for to be honest, though I would probably prefer it if they played for a decent side, but having them all together isn't a problem, it's probably a good thing. The fact that they already play as a team together for their club sides is hardly something that is likely to harm a national team.
WTF are you two talking about? How does having the best local talent concentrated in a couple of teams help the league standard?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Was more in reference to the national team tbh, doesn't much help the standard of the league. But still, I would suggest that the poorer teams in either league do not benefit from a lack of good players from their irrespective national teams, just a lack of good players fullstop. Putting one world class player in the West Brom line up for example will not improve the state of the league one iota.