• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Help me pick an EPL side

Which EPL team should I support?

• Total voters

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah not a fan of simply supporting the locals. Maybe if you have a deep affection for the area or something, but not just because you live there.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Think it depends where you are to an extent. I'm in one of the few areas where there's a 30 mile circle of no nearby football clubs (WBA, Wolves, Villa, Cov, Cheltenham, Kidderminster, Oxford are all 30 miles away) and when I was 5 I was going to none of these places really so went for a team almost a random.

If you're in Reading, you're in something like the opposite in that you're the only club around for about 30 miles (Swindon, Oxford must be the closest unless I've forgotten someone obvious) so it makes a lot more sense to plump for your local side.

fredfertang

Think it depends where you are to an extent. I'm in one of the few areas where there's a 30 mile circle of no nearby football clubs (WBA, Wolves, Villa, Cov, Cheltenham, Kidderminster, Oxford are all 30 miles away) and when I was 5 I was going to none of these places really so went for a team almost a random.

If you're in Reading, you're in something like the opposite in that you're the only club around for about 30 miles (Swindon, Oxford must be the closest unless I've forgotten someone obvious) so it makes a lot more sense to plump for your local side.
Although I was born in Reading I lived in Blackpool of all places from around age 4 - I wanted to be a Blackpool fan but the ****s wouldn't accept me because I talked like a "bleedin' southern softie" so I latched on to Reading - and PNE as well just to wind the ****s up

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
That is....interesting for a sports team song...I can't imagine what it sounds like being sung by 10000 people....
YouTube - You'll Never Walk Alone Liverpool V Barcelona

It's a pretty infamous sight. Teams and players look forward to it like art fans look forward to seeing the Mona Lisa when visiting the Louvre. It is an experience that moves many people to tears. Kevin Keegan a former Liverpool great said once:

"The only thing I fear is missing an open goal in front of the Kop. I would die if that were to happen. When they start singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I've actually been crying while I've been playing."
It's a poignant song that showcases the culture of a club that is very dear to a lot of people. On the pitch, as aforesaid, it was showcased best at Istanbul in 05. When Liverpool staged arguably the greatest comeback in football history, they were down 3-0 at half time in a game that looked likely to end 6-0. However, many of the players and the then coach Rafa Benitez claimed that having the fans sing the song at half-time lifted the players and gave them belief. The fact that they sung that song at such a time showed that no matter what, the fans wouldn't stop believing in the players. The players said they felt great shame in a way, in that the fans had not stopped singing and that for that they could not stop trying and owed it to them for making the journey to support them. Johan Cryuff, a football legend, said of that day:

"There's not one club in Europe with an anthem like You'll Never Walk Alone.

"There's not one club in the world so united with the fans. I sat there watching the Liverpool fans and they sent shivers down my spine. A mass of 40,000 people became one force behind their team. That's something not many teams have. For that I admire Liverpool more than anything."
Maradona also sang praises about that comeback:

'The English club proved that miracles really do exist. I've now made Liverpool my English team. They showed that football is the most beautiful sport of all.

'You knew they could defend but the team showed they could play too and wrote a page in the history books. The match will last forever.

'The Liverpool supporters didn't let me go to sleep the night before, there were 10 of them to every three Milan supporters.

'They showed their unconditional support at half-time when they were losing 3-0 and still they didn't stop singing.'

-----

"Not even the Brazil team that won the 1970 World Cup final would have been able to come back from 3-0 down like that,"

"I thought that there was no way back for Liverpool and I was proved wrong."
Fernando Torres gave an interview after having played in Liverpool to Spanish TV, he said of the fans:

"You see that they're always there for you. In the good and bad times, they always support you. In a way, you feel obliged to them, to leave it all out on the pitch.

And when things don't go your way...it's not that you feel bad because the team lost, you feel bad for the people. Because when you look at them, you see they haven't lost faith. They're still cheering you on and supporting the team. So it makes you feel even worse to let them down".
Actually, you can see that interview here, where a Spanish TV show hosted by former Liverpool player Michael Robinson interviews Torres and they talk quite a bit about the club and it's history.

That's the thing I love about Liverpool: there is a tradition, there is loyalty, there is an endearing quality that humbles all and creates a club as much about the fans that support it as it is about the players that play for it and football.

P.S. I love this this video (watch it!!!!) as the commentators comments illustrate perfectly the despair and delirium of Istanbul 05. I love it when Gerrard scores and raises his arms indicating to the fans to step up and to cheer even louder. He knew just how much they could affect the match. They were truly the 12th man.

Last edited:

Matteh

One that wins a lot of trophies? Yeah must be fun earning that one special day a decade at Wembley/Cardiff.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
One that wins a lot of trophies? Yeah must be fun earning that one special day a decade at Wembley/Cardiff.
I don't completely understand. Are you saying that Liverpool win a lot of trophies? I guess it's relative with who you compare them to. They are no longer a domineering side but they win the odd trophy here and there - enough so that you don't cut your wrists at being let down for so long :p

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Why didn't you pick Fulham if you stayed in Fulham?
There's a Fulham FC? :ph34r:

Yeah not a fan of simply supporting the locals. Maybe if you have a deep affection for the area or something, but not just because you live there.
Yeah would be pretty tough to get passionate about a team unless you do have affection for the place. Although no amount of love for Chicago could ever make me support the Cubs.

Still leaning a bit towards Everton for some reason. Tim Howard's their goalie to top it off.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
There's a Fulham FC? :ph34r:

Yeah would be pretty tough to get passionate about a team unless you do have affection for the place. Although no amount of love for Chicago could ever make me support the Cubs.

Still leaning a bit towards Everton for some reason
. Tim Howard's their goalie to top it off.
Because you're a ****, presumably

cpr

International Coach
Pick a player you like to watch, then support that team. Thats how Barry Sanders conned me into supporting the Lions.....

Don't support a team just because their high pitched whiny fans like to gather together singing show-tunes before kick off :p

pasag

RTDAS
I feel like I need an EPL side for the time being too actually. Not much fun supporting a Championship team from another country, could do with a second side so there's more to watch.

None of them really appeal though tbh.
Yeah, they're all very....English. If I had to choose one it'd be Liverpool for the Beatles & Fearless.

Matteh

I don't completely understand. Are you saying that Liverpool win a lot of trophies? I guess it's relative with who you compare them to. They are no longer a domineering side but they win the odd trophy here and there - enough so that you don't cut your wrists at being let down for so long :p
Averaged about one a year for the past decade, including 4 in one season.

Matteh

The only game of football i went to this season bizarrely was Coventry away at Peterborough where i was a de facto Cov supporter for the day. Decent day out in the packed terraces in a 1940s stadium, just like the old days.

Matteh

Back to the original question, SS has to support Villa because they're the only team in the options list to have actually won the Champions League.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Pick a player you like to watch, then support that team. Thats how Barry Sanders conned me into supporting the Lions.....

Don't support a team just because their high pitched whiny fans like to gather together singing show-tunes before kick off :p
That's how I started with Utd. Becksypoo.:wub:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Ikki making a very impassioned case for Liverpool. Hmm. I don't like jumping on a bandwagon, but fan passion is totally important. I guess it's Liverpool vs. Newcastle vs. Spurs then.