• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Help me pick an EPL side

Which EPL team should I support?

• Total voters

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Aye, as Ausage says. If you want to support a **** of a club who made buying the title fashionable before Roman appeared, then turned into the most dour of teams when Old Jacks millions passed on with him (not just under the fat sam era), and despite stiff competition from Blackpool, still have the ****est ground in the league. Support Blackburn.
Don't let the paranoid personal bias of a few sour grapes on this forum turn you away from a terrific club with a proud history.
Don't mind cpr, he's just bitter because his team couldn't beat West Ham 15 years ago.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
If you want to barrack for an underdog who consistently punches above their weight
Underdog? Punches above their weight?

One moment of glory came with Uncle Jacks millions and the expensive 'SAS' banging them in. Hardly underdog.

EDIT: I see CPR got there before me. Id not thought of this for years but during the 'SAS' days at Blackburn I played up front with another guy called Kev for my team. Blackburn had 'SAS', we had 'KAK' up front but in truth we were not that bad :)

Last edited:

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Underdog? Punches above their weight?

One moment of glory came with Uncle Jacks millions and the expensive 'SAS' banging them in. Hardly underdog.

EDIT= I see CPR got there before me. Id not thought of this for years but during the 'SAS' days at Blackburn I played up front with another guy called Kev for my team. Blackburn had 'SAS', we had 'KAK' up front but in truth we were not that bad :)
We were no Wimbledon, but IIRC Man U were title favorites that year. Makes us the underdog tbh.

As to uncle Jack's millions, how else is a small club supposed to get up in today's sporting climate other than with a wealthy benefactor?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
**** it mate, just come over to the dark side and support United.
I don't mind a Yankee fan from New York. If you came over and said you wanted to follow baseball....and then said you'll be supporting the Yankees...you'd be a despicable excuse for a human being tbh. Can't stand fans like that. The only thing worse would be a traitor from Philadelphia who roots for the Yankees, or a Philly fan who switched to the Yankees. But those people are shot on sight around here, so they're not a problem for long.

I don't know anything about the sport, so I have nothing personal against Man U...but I know they're the richest and probably the most successful club in football, and that's just bandwagon jumping. Being a fan of a team should be reserved for people born in the area or who stuck with them through thick and thin (if there ever was a thin). Same with Chelsea...aside from the cool factor of a Russian mob boss owner, they're the champions, so you can't really call yourself a legitimate fan by picking them right now.

I initially picked Newcastle because of their uniforms. The prison garb classic. It's epic in its beauty and tells you everything you need to know about the town tbh.

Right now I'm thinking I'm narrowing it down to Blackburn, Newcastle, Arsenal, and Tottenham Hotspur.

I'm a bit worried supporting a team like Blackburn and maybe Newcastle though - not because they can't win, but I'm because I'm worried about not getting the games in the US ....no point in supporting a team if you can't watch the games.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Said newcastle for reasons cpr mentioned. But if you want a team you'll likely get to see play, Tottenham imo, don't think we could handle another Arsenal supporter in the football thread :p

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm a bit worried supporting a team like Blackburn and maybe Newcastle though - not because they can't win, but I'm because I'm worried about not getting the games in the US ....no point in supporting a team if you can't watch the games.
Yeah in all honesty it's a problem for me too. Not sure what it's like in the US, but over here they show all but one or two games every week, but Blackburn are semi regularly among the games left off the list. Might be better this year if we improve on our top half finish. Might be worth seeing what games were shown last year?

What's really frustrating is that the games that are guaranteed to be shown are against the big teams, games we're unlikely to perform well in.

cpr

International Coach
Don't mind cpr, he's just bitter because his team couldn't beat West Ham 15 years ago.
Still remember McClair's shot being cleared.....

Hurt more when Leeds stole it from us a few years before TBH.

We were no Wimbledon, but IIRC Man U were title favorites that year. Makes us the underdog tbh.

As to uncle Jack's millions, how else is a small club supposed to get up in today's sporting climate other than with a wealthy benefactor?
You'd finished 2nd the previous season, then broke the transfer record in the summer on a striker to add to your previous record transfer striker (not to mention the other expensive players over the last 3 years). You were expected to either win or challenge quite close. Not exactly a true underdog there. Bit like calling City an underdog really.

Being a fan of a team should be reserved for people born in the area or who stuck with them through thick and thin (if there ever was a thin).
SS, I love you.

Oh and you'll get quite a few Newcastle games, still considered a fair draw. Not to mention their first game of the season is at Old Trafford....

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Fox Soccer Channel (FSC) shows all teams. Will not be a problem.

Newcastle are still a big team as well. Its not like you would be supporting a minnow.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
You'd finished 2nd the previous season, then broke the transfer record in the summer on a striker to add to your previous record transfer striker (not to mention the other expensive players over the last 3 years). You were expected to either win or challenge quite close. Not exactly a true underdog there. Bit like calling City an underdog really.
Fair enough, but at this point in time, for a small club like us who spend SFA, staying in the division comfortably is punching above our weight really.

99*

International Debutant
Newcastle United. I don't want to be the only one here that supports them.

99*

International Debutant
Wait, no. You're the one that can't pick a winner out of a one horse race. Support Sunderland.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
OK, so Newcastle vs. Tottenham

Newcastle Plus
  • Uniforms remind people of a place where their fans belong, unspeakably cool
  • Sponsored by a beer company
  • They get into fist fights with each other, resulting in double red cards
  • Fans are apparently unintelligible to everyone else, and intensely loyal

Newcastle Minus
  • No real chance of finishing in top four and going to European Premier league
  • Town not as good as London to visit
  • Chance of relegation to a lower tier, which may affect my enjoyment if I am not yet immersed in the sport...I'd watch MLS if I wanted a lower quality competition

Tottenham Plus
  • Based in London
  • Call themselves the "Jew Army"
  • Won a trophy in each of the last six decades
  • They hate arsenal, and CW has arsenal fans..I will own that thread
  • Fans also passionate and pack houses even in away games

Tottenham Minus
  • Symbol is a gamecock (?)
  • Uniforms are not Prisoner Classic
  • They actually have a moto
  • Sponsored by a gambling company (Would normally be a plus, but you can't beat a beer company, especially a decent beer company)

Hmmmm

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Well lets sort one thing out early, stop referring to the kits as uniforms in a football thread :)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'm used to that, in fact I'd be a bit dissapointed in myself if I picked one of the Big Four.
I'm not saying choose a big 4.

I'm saying it's not like other leagues where it is unpredictable.

Anyway Wigan ftw. GIMH needs the beer money :ph34r:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
meh, all prem teams are soulless money-grubbing glory-hunting ****-machines.

Support St Pauli IMHO.