View Poll Results: Which EPL team should I support?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tottenham Hotspur

7 23.33%
  • Newcastle United

3 10.00%
  • Arsenal

6 20.00%
  • Blackburn

2 6.67%
  • Aston Villa

5 16.67%
  • Other (please specify)

7 23.33%
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me pick an EPL side

Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    Was gonna admonish Goughy for missing a pic of Beardsley off too, but then a pic of old quasi wouldn't really attract fans in!
    As a Liverpool fan I only see him one way (Keegan at Liverpool was before my time.)

If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Cricket Spectator
    Just support Manchester City FFS. They have more money then God.

Don't let the paranoid personal bias of a few sour grapes on this forum turn you away from a terrific club with a proud history. Sure we're managed by a grade A ****, have no chance of winning anything in the foreseeable future and are unlikely to have any players you've even heard of but we do well for a club with one of the lowest net spends in the premier league, are one of the few premier league clubs not burdened with copious amounts of debt, haven't played E H Doiuf in like half a year and have won more premier league titles than Liverpool.

If you want to barrack for an underdog who consistently punches above their weight, to savor every victory (or goal) like it's proverbial manna from heaven, to continuously rail against your manager despite him putting you in the top ten just over a year after you were relegation certainties, there is only one choice.

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZwgu8_b0Vw

RIP Craig

Anyone but City and I'm happy.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

cpr
    Aye, as Ausage says. If you want to support a **** of a club who made buying the title fashionable before Roman appeared, then turned into the most dour of teams when Old Jacks millions passed on with him (not just under the fat sam era), and despite stiff competition from Blackpool, still have the ****est ground in the league. Support Blackburn.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Aye, as Ausage says. If you want to support a **** of a club who made buying the title fashionable before Roman appeared, then turned into the most dour of teams when Old Jacks millions passed on with him (not just under the fat sam era), and despite stiff competition from Blackpool, still have the ****est ground in the league. Support Blackburn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    Don't let the paranoid personal bias of a few sour grapes on this forum turn you away from a terrific club with a proud history.
    Don't mind cpr, he's just bitter because his team couldn't beat West Ham 15 years ago.

If you want to barrack for an underdog who consistently punches above their weight
    Underdog? Punches above their weight?

One moment of glory came with Uncle Jacks millions and the expensive 'SAS' banging them in. Hardly underdog.

EDIT: I see CPR got there before me. Id not thought of this for years but during the 'SAS' days at Blackburn I played up front with another guy called Kev for my team. Blackburn had 'SAS', we had 'KAK' up front but in truth we were not that bad
    Last edited by Goughy; 19-06-2010 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Underdog? Punches above their weight?

One moment of glory came with Uncle Jacks millions and the expensive 'SAS' banging them in. Hardly underdog.

EDIT= I see CPR got there before me. Id not thought of this for years but during the 'SAS' days at Blackburn I played up front with another guy called Kev for my team. Blackburn had 'SAS', we had 'KAK' up front but in truth we were not that bad
    We were no Wimbledon, but IIRC Man U were title favorites that year. Makes us the underdog tbh.

As to uncle Jack's millions, how else is a small club supposed to get up in today's sporting climate other than with a wealthy benefactor?

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post

**** it mate, just come over to the dark side and support United.
    I don't mind a Yankee fan from New York. If you came over and said you wanted to follow baseball....and then said you'll be supporting the Yankees...you'd be a despicable excuse for a human being tbh. Can't stand fans like that. The only thing worse would be a traitor from Philadelphia who roots for the Yankees, or a Philly fan who switched to the Yankees. But those people are shot on sight around here, so they're not a problem for long.

I don't know anything about the sport, so I have nothing personal against Man U...but I know they're the richest and probably the most successful club in football, and that's just bandwagon jumping. Being a fan of a team should be reserved for people born in the area or who stuck with them through thick and thin (if there ever was a thin). Same with Chelsea...aside from the cool factor of a Russian mob boss owner, they're the champions, so you can't really call yourself a legitimate fan by picking them right now.

I initially picked Newcastle because of their uniforms. The prison garb classic. It's epic in its beauty and tells you everything you need to know about the town tbh.

Right now I'm thinking I'm narrowing it down to Blackburn, Newcastle, Arsenal, and Tottenham Hotspur.

I'm a bit worried supporting a team like Blackburn and maybe Newcastle though - not because they can't win, but I'm because I'm worried about not getting the games in the US ....no point in supporting a team if you can't watch the games.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Said newcastle for reasons cpr mentioned. But if you want a team you'll likely get to see play, Tottenham imo, don't think we could handle another Arsenal supporter in the football thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I'm a bit worried supporting a team like Blackburn and maybe Newcastle though - not because they can't win, but I'm because I'm worried about not getting the games in the US ....no point in supporting a team if you can't watch the games.
    Yeah in all honesty it's a problem for me too. Not sure what it's like in the US, but over here they show all but one or two games every week, but Blackburn are semi regularly among the games left off the list. Might be better this year if we improve on our top half finish. Might be worth seeing what games were shown last year?

What's really frustrating is that the games that are guaranteed to be shown are against the big teams, games we're unlikely to perform well in.

cpr
    Don't mind cpr, he's just bitter because his team couldn't beat West Ham 15 years ago.
    Still remember McClair's shot being cleared.....

Hurt more when Leeds stole it from us a few years before TBH.

We were no Wimbledon, but IIRC Man U were title favorites that year. Makes us the underdog tbh.

As to uncle Jack's millions, how else is a small club supposed to get up in today's sporting climate other than with a wealthy benefactor?
    You'd finished 2nd the previous season, then broke the transfer record in the summer on a striker to add to your previous record transfer striker (not to mention the other expensive players over the last 3 years). You were expected to either win or challenge quite close. Not exactly a true underdog there. Bit like calling City an underdog really.

Being a fan of a team should be reserved for people born in the area or who stuck with them through thick and thin (if there ever was a thin).
    SS, I love you.

Oh and you'll get quite a few Newcastle games, still considered a fair draw. Not to mention their first game of the season is at Old Trafford....

Fox Soccer Channel (FSC) shows all teams. Will not be a problem.

Newcastle are still a big team as well. Its not like you would be supporting a minnow.

You'd finished 2nd the previous season, then broke the transfer record in the summer on a striker to add to your previous record transfer striker (not to mention the other expensive players over the last 3 years). You were expected to either win or challenge quite close. Not exactly a true underdog there. Bit like calling City an underdog really.
    Fair enough, but at this point in time, for a small club like us who spend SFA, staying in the division comfortably is punching above our weight really.

99*
    Newcastle United. I don't want to be the only one here that supports them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey
    She tells me the thing will flatten out, I say "Like your chest?" Bad mistake.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information