• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Help me pick an EPL side

Which EPL team should I support?

• Total voters

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
So I've decided to follow EPL for at least one season to see if I can get into it. With the sad demise of basketball for me (doesn't hold any interest anymore), I need a new fourth sport (cricket, NFL, ice hockey, and something else). Baseball doesn't cut it anymore either.

I've been doing some research and I think I've narrowed it down to these choices. I only had two rules: No Manchester United. If some random Englishman wanted to start playing baseball and decided to become a Yankee fan, I'd punch them in the face. I won't be that guy. And second, it can't be a team so minor that I'll have trouble watching their games - no point in supporting a club that I can't find their games.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Blackburn is on the list purely because I hear they have a penchant for dirty play. That gives them massive points despite maybe not having great TV coverage.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Chelsea are too good to take up supporting now. Liverpool have no redeemable qualities, so they're out. I'd suggest Arsenal, but I don't know if their soft 'n' pretty little brand of football is quite in keeping with your attitude towards sport.

Uppercut

Hmm, on the other hand, if you take up supporting Villa, you'll hate football by the end of the year.

Just watch a bunch of matches and you'll soon discover which teams you want to win and which teams you want to lose.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Think all Man Utd fans should be exempt at the poll due to having their chance at picking a team and being awful.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
No, then I could end up liking Man U and then I'd have to turn the rifle on my face. I won't be that guy. It has to be before. From what Matteh said, I feel a great kinship with Aston Villa...

Sort of like the Philadelphia Eagles...get to the game before the championship every season before losing spectacularly. Always a good team that makes you want to kill yourself right before the end.

Jarquis

Definitely sounds like Arsenal, get ourselves to the top of the table before capitulating in style during the last 2 months of the season.

Pothas

Would go with Everton if I was you, decent side without being mega rich or particularly anoying.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Frankly SS IMO there is only 1 team for you. Coming from Philly as you do with its hardcore fans and being a blue collar town then you have to be a Newcastle fan. Anything else wouldnt fit.

All you need to know is below

Jackie Milburn

Kevin Keegan

Alan Shearer

Jimmy Nail

Cheryl Cole

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You're going to choose a team which has no chance of winning a premiership in the next 5-10 years, unless some rich guy buys them out for fun.

Uppercut

No, then I could end up liking Man U and then I'd have to turn the rifle on my face. I won't be that guy. It has to be before. From what Matteh said, I feel a great kinship with Aston Villa...

Sort of like the Philadelphia Eagles...get to the game before the championship every season before losing spectacularly. Always a good team that makes you want to kill yourself right before the end.
Nah, Villa aren't really that team. They're the team that never look like being relegated but never really look like winning much either. They usually finish 6th or 7th and their league season ends in November. They don't play remotely attractive football, but nor are they an especially violent team. If you like your sport extremely boring and without any kind of fun, Villa are the team for you.

**** it mate, just come over to the dark side and support United.

cpr

International Coach
Would've suggested Newcastle too tbh (IF I'm allowed a say that is!). Always entertainment, sometimes in a good way, one of the few clubs that can actually lay claim to the 'good set of fans' title too.

Was gonna admonish Goughy for missing a pic of Beardsley off too, but then a pic of old quasi wouldn't really attract fans in!

Oh, and not all us Man Utd fans are glory hunters, as my unflinching love of Detroit Lions proves...... (and I prefer Mets over the Yankees)

Uppercut

If you like to have expectations completely out of proportion with the quality of your team and anything they've ever achieved, support Newcastle.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Was gonna admonish Goughy for missing a pic of Beardsley off too, but then a pic of old quasi wouldn't really attract fans in!
As a Liverpool fan I only see him one way (Keegan at Liverpool was before my time.)

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year

Don't let the paranoid personal bias of a few sour grapes on this forum turn you away from a terrific club with a proud history. Sure we're managed by a grade A ****, have no chance of winning anything in the foreseeable future and are unlikely to have any players you've even heard of but we do well for a club with one of the lowest net spends in the premier league, are one of the few premier league clubs not burdened with copious amounts of debt, haven't played E H Doiuf in like half a year and have won more premier league titles than Liverpool.

If you want to barrack for an underdog who consistently punches above their weight, to savor every victory (or goal) like it's proverbial manna from heaven, to continuously rail against your manager despite him putting you in the top ten just over a year after you were relegation certainties, there is only one choice.

cpr

International Coach
Aye, as Ausage says. If you want to support a **** of a club who made buying the title fashionable before Roman appeared, then turned into the most dour of teams when Old Jacks millions passed on with him (not just under the fat sam era), and despite stiff competition from Blackpool, still have the ****est ground in the league. Support Blackburn.