• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2010-11

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
But IMO, his version of carrying Liverpool (late goals, long range strikes etc.) is a bit too hit and miss and I've had this argument with Ikki before. I'd rather a midfield player enable the whole team to lift their level and I haven't seen Gerrard do that enough even at his peak.
Gerrard did lift the team to another level. Frankly, that team that won the CL had no business coming out of the group stage, let alone winning it. And it's pretty much for that same reason we're buggered now as we rely on him too much and he is seemingly holding us back now. It's blasphemous to say but I agree with your Henry example.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, no doubt winning the CL was a great great accomplishment but winning the league is a truer test IMO. In 2008-09 when Liverpool peaked as a team IMO, Gerrard was enabled to exert his influence high up the pitch due to Alonso and Mascherano running the midfield. That's where he's best used and he can afford to be a bit greedy without it really costing the team.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
The league is a truer test but I just find your asking Gerrard to replicate that in the league a bit hard to swallow. No player is going to do that over a whole season in the EPL these days. Maybe in the past you had examples with Maradona and Napoli but for a player to have that kind of impact, game after game in the league is something I would put past every player - including Messi, Ronaldo or any other person. 05's Liverpool were simply not good enough to win the league.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Just watched the Arsenal-Bolton replay...**** how good is Cesc. He gets better and better. TBF I actually rate him above both Xavi and Iniesta in 1v1 comparisons.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Whoa, did you just say someone was better than Xavi? Good job GF is no longer a mod or you'd be in trouble :ph34r:

cover drive man

International Captain
Really hope Torres comes out of this tough phase, had a terrible world cup which must have been pretty **** for him. We need a 20+ goal a season striker if we're going anywhere.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Xavi > Cesc for me. Iniesta is not directly comparable IMO but I'd take Cesc over him if I can't have both in my team.

Ikki, I agree you can't win your team a league on individual brilliance alone but my point is that league winning teams don't tend to rely on their CMs to do that, which is why I keep saying Gerrard is best when he plays off Torres, not in CM.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just watched the Arsenal-Bolton replay...**** how good is Cesc. He gets better and better. TBF I actually rate him above both Xavi and Iniesta in 1v1 comparisons.
Best passer in the Premiership. He's on another level really. I think going by the rate of improvement he's currently showing his ceiling is higher than Xavi's, even if he probably isn't the better player as of now. He's incredible. 30 million is a joke of a bid. Complete ****ing joke.