Page 99 of 415 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109149199 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 6221

Thread: *Official* English Football Season 2010-11

cpr
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    No point in recalling Scholes, would have literally no long term benefits whatsoever.
    Would if he snaps Messi/Tevez' leg in the friendly in February.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Is Arteta even playing well enough to make the England squad at the moment? He hasn't looked like half the player he was before his injury last season.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Is Arteta even playing well enough to make the England squad at the moment? He hasn't looked like half the player he was before his injury last season.
    Call me a broken record, but Shaun Wright-Phillips.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    No point in recalling Scholes, would have literally no long term benefits whatsoever.
    Of course its not long term, its not as if we would be expecting him to be involved in the 2014 WC or something. Just the EURO 2012 qualifiers & tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    Call me a broken record, but Shaun Wright-Phillips.
    Haha. Well i think we can sleep soundly knowing that SWP wont play for ENG again, fairly confident Capello realised it was a mistake taking him to WC ATS.

BBC Sport - Football - Jack Wilshere called into England Under-21 squad

No issue with Wilshire being relegated to under 21 for now. But Richards certainly has to be in the senior squad based on his performace vs Liverpool the other day - looked his old self. Johnson can't play RB again.

Cricket Web Content Updater roseboy64's Avatar
    As such FIFA has to give the go ahead for Arteta or Almunia or anyone with no British heritage or schooling to play for England or any Home Nation. To grant that it'd pretty much mean the disbandment of the national associations and to form a GB team as FIFA views the Home Nations as it does the Basques and the only reason the Home Nations continue as they are is through their history and the fact they don't pick foreign players.

No need to thank me for educating you. Do you still think I know nothing about football GF?

Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    as GF said, Arteta's been in England long enough to play for England.

If anyone can be accused of opening a can of worms re representing a nation, look at Darren Gibson....
    Gibson has the loophole of having both Irish nationalities so yeah a stir there. He's the only one to really do it though AFAIK.

Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    BBC Sport - Football - Jack Wilshere called into England Under-21 squad

No issue with Wilshire being relegated to under 21 for now. But Richards certainly has to be in the senior squad based on his performace vs Liverpool the other day - looked his old self. Johnson can't play RB again.
    One decent performance from Richards doesn't make up for the rubbish he's done the last year or so. Would be a shocker if he's called up.

Quote Originally Posted by roseboy64 View Post
    As such FIFA has to give the go ahead for Arteta or Almunia or anyone with no British heritage or schooling to play for England or any Home Nation. To grant that it'd pretty much mean the disbandment of the national associations and to form a GB team as FIFA views the Home Nations as it does the Basques and the only reason the Home Nations continue as they are is through their history and the fact they don't pick foreign players.

No need to thank me for educating you. Do you still think I know nothing about football GF?
    I see what you are saying rose, given just now i came across this about Arteta on wiki, which made my heart jump:

Quote Originally Posted by quote
    In 2010, several news reported that Arteta willing to received call-up from England,[7] however he is not eligible, as he is not a multi-nationality holder when he representing Spain U21.

Article 18

1. If a Player has more than one nationality, or if a Player acquires a new nationality, or if a Player is eligible to play for several representative teams due to nationality, he may, only once, request to change the Association for which he is eligible to play international matches to the Association of another country of which he holds nationality, subject to the following conditions:

(a) He has not played a match (either in full or in part) in an official competition at “A” international level [i.e. non-friendly] for his current Association [i.e. Spain for Arteta], and at the time of his first full or partial appearance in an international match in an official competition for his current Association [i.e. Spain for Arteta], he already had the nationality [i.e. British] of the representative team for which he wishes to play.
    But at the same time i think you may be exaggerating slightly when you say..."To grant that it'd pretty much mean the disbandment of the national associations and to form a GB team as FIFA views the Home Nations as it does the Basques and the only reason the Home Nations continue as they are is through their history and the fact they don't pick foreign players".

Since if FIFA views the home nations as the they do the Basque's over in Spain. Then how did Marcos Senna get picked by Spain?. He didn't have spanish or basque home schooling or spanish heritage. Just gained Spanish residency & qualified to play for them.

But we shall see what happens, since there seems to be some confusion about this.

One decent performance from Richards doesn't make up for the rubbish he's done the last year or so. Would be a shocker if he's called up.
    Preferably yea, him having hame a string of solid performances would be better than just a one-off. But ENG have a crisis @ RB ATM with the incumbent (Johnson) being utter crap defensively. So its worth the risk i'd say, especially when you consider Richards did prove before last season he can defend well againts good players - something that Johnson never proved he can do before Capello picked him & he made a national embarassment of himself vs Germany, SMH.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Why would it?

What is the difference between that and Germany picking Poles or Spain and Portugal picking Brazilians?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    Of course its not long term, its not as if we would be expecting him to be involved in the 2014 WC or something. Just the EURO 2012 qualifiers & tournament.
    So the same bloke who 12 months ago himself said he didn't think he'd last more than 1 season you think is going to be around for another 2 years when he's not got the international breaks to give his body a rest?

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Fair enough with Gerrard, but Torres has never been able to play anything close to a full season so I'm not having that. Saying you might have done better if Torres hadn't been injured a lot isn't far from saying you might have done better had Lucas not played **** a lot. Staying fit is a part of the game, one that Torres is particularly bad at, and that is always going to cost his team over the course of the season.
    You're wrong. He has. In his first season at LFC he played a full season and scored 33 goals. In fact, the season in question was the first season he'd been out for a significant amount of time in his career.
    Last edited by Ikki; 25-08-2010 at 01:16 AM.
    ★★★★★

Thread Information