Page 98 of 415 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108148198 ... LastLast
Results 1,456 to 1,470 of 6221

Thread: *Official* English Football Season 2010-11

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Andy Carroll, lol.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    Wasn't replying to you. I just hate hearing Liverpool fans mention that Gerrard and Torres were missing for x amount of games as though they're the most unlucky side in the world when it comes to injuries.

Your 14 figure, is that starts or appearances?
    I'd have to check mate, I remember reading it in an article. This says they started 12 games together that season. His soccernet profile has Torres being subbed in 4 EPL games so, even if we were to say Gerrard was present in those matches it is 12 starts and 4 sub appearances in 38 games.

From memory, they didn't really play a whole lot together. When Torres was injured Gerrard was fine and when Gerrard was injured Torres was fine.

It may sound like an excuse but if we had Torres for more games I am fairly sure we could have made up the difference and won the title.
    Last edited by Ikki; 24-08-2010 at 01:29 PM.
    ★★★★★

Question for the English: how do you think it would go down if Capello picked Arteta?

I reckon the media is already looking for the jugular and it would just be one more thing to attack him with.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Question for the English: how do you think it would go down if Capello picked Arteta?

I reckon the media is already looking for the jugular and it would just be one more thing to attack him with.
    Would cause a massive stir for sure, think the media would not be overly pleased at all. Myself I don't really mind. Ideally I suppose I would rather an English player, but he's as English as Keven Pietersen is I suppose, so I'd have no major qualms. He's certainly one of the most talented players eligible for selection in any case.

If Capello can convince Scholes back too...Arteta and Scholes swapping passes in midfield...that would be a sight.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar

Any player that keeps Shaun Wright-Phillips away from ever wearing the three lions again is alright by me.

The media would probably kick up a stink, but they're not worth paying the slightest attention to anyway.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar

Blue****e shouldn't wear the three lions but I don't care where he's from
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

cpr
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Andy Carroll, lol.
    Actually, dont think its a bad idea, apart from the fact he's a violent ****

Decent in the air, nice finisher (took all 3 well against villa, the 2nd being a lovely strike.... first one was a nice instinctive finish n all), plus being a lefty will give us balance up front. Worth seeing if he and Rooney can form an effective partnership, as we know Fabio likes to ask players out of retirement, and **** if we want him to turn Emile's head..... (that and the small matter of Crouch being a bit ****)
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Cricket Web Content Updater roseboy64's Avatar
    Arteta being picked for England would cause a massive stir not only in the media but the other Home Nations and FIFA. The only reason England, Scotland, Wales and NI have separate teams is the Gentleman's Agreement which refers to a section/clause in FIFA's Statutes. Picking Arteta= can of worms which leads to a GB team.
    Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson = Greatest Ever Manager
    "One from ten leaves zero." - Eric Williams, former T&T PM
    Member of Cricket Web Green
    Member of Northside Power

R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by roseboy64 View Post
    Arteta being picked for England would cause a massive stir not only in the media but the other Home Nations and FIFA. The only reason England, Scotland, Wales and NI have separate teams is the Gentleman's Agreement which refers to a section/clause in FIFA's Statutes. Picking Arteta= can of worms which leads to a GB team.
    No it wouldn't, Arteta has played in England for 5 and a half years, and Scotland for 2. He's entitled to British nationality if he wants it, and he'd qualify for England based on how long he's played in the country.

There's fairly concrete rules regarding British nationals being eligible for the Home Nations.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Well tbf they are their best players, but they should just build a better squad
    Fair enough with Gerrard, but Torres has never been able to play anything close to a full season so I'm not having that. Saying you might have done better if Torres hadn't been injured a lot isn't far from saying you might have done better had Lucas not played **** a lot. Staying fit is a part of the game, one that Torres is particularly bad at, and that is always going to cost his team over the course of the season.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    Actually, dont think its a bad idea, apart from the fact he's a violent ****

Decent in the air, nice finisher (took all 3 well against villa, the 2nd being a lovely strike.... first one was a nice instinctive finish n all), plus being a lefty will give us balance up front. Worth seeing if he and Rooney can form an effective partnership, as we know Fabio likes to ask players out of retirement, and **** if we want him to turn Emile's head..... (that and the small matter of Crouch being a bit ****)
    Ye Caroll is certainly worth a go now. Esepcially considering others strikers like C Cole & Bent aren't international quality & Crouch isn't trusted @ the highest level.

ATS Rooney/Zamora/Defoe/Caroll should be the strikers picked for the first EURO qualifiers. (Owen & outside chance)

Quote Originally Posted by Ikki
    If Capello can convince Scholes back too...Arteta and Scholes swapping passes in midfield...that would be a sight.
    Yep thats my regular morning prayer that this occurs. Arteta already plays for ENG for me in FIFA 10 & Pro Evolution soccer.

No point in recalling Scholes, would have literally no long term benefits whatsoever.

cpr
    Quote Originally Posted by roseboy64 View Post
    as GF said, Arteta's been in England long enough to play for England.

If anyone can be accused of opening a can of worms re representing a nation, look at Darren Gibson....

Thread Information