• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2010-11

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
FMD drawing against West Brom after our lose to Wigan. Our defense is a shambles.

We are going to struggle against Werder Bremen on Tuesday.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
hmm, how embarassing reading back on my posts, Note to self: must stop drinking and coming on the interweb :shy:

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FMD I love Arsenal.

Oh and the Burnley vs Preston game was incredible, was watching it down the club after my game yesterday. wow.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Serie A players might be going on strike, as the clubs want to introduce new rules where if a player enters the last year of his contract and the club accepts a bid, the player must either leave the club as long as the buying club is equally competitive and is paying him equivelant wages, or negotiate a new contract.

Clubs have some nerve when they moan about a lack of player loyalty.

El Nino

School Boy/Girl Captain
FMD I love Arsenal.

Oh and the Burnley vs Preston game was incredible, was watching it down the club after my game yesterday. wow.
Cesc's ball to Vela was delicious.

Really hoping Torres international form comes through tonight, Maxi should have good impact wide getting a chance with Kuyt out. Two nill Reds.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Serie A players might be going on strike, as the clubs want to introduce new rules where if a player enters the last year of his contract and the club accepts a bid, the player must either leave the club as long as the buying club is equally competitive and is paying him equivelant wages, or negotiate a new contract.

Clubs have some nerve when they moan about a lack of player loyalty.
Haha, I know, what an absurd rule to try and effect.

chalky

International Debutant
2 unbelievable saves from Reina single handedly keeping liverpool in the game.

Birmingham by far the better team so far.

chalky

International Debutant
Gerrard's set piece delivery has been absolutely horrible has hit the 1st man on every free kick and corner.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Apart from Cole and Kuyt, that was the full team - something Benitez didn't have a lot of last year. I don't even want to compare the two because that match was just atrocious.

With Benitez we'd draw that game but batter them with possession and shots on goal. With Hodgson, THEY had 57% possession. It's the performance, not the result. A draw playing like that is something good.

Even guys like Gerrard and Torres look a level or two under. We played a 4-4-1-1 and when we go forward we have nothing. We defend as if we're Fulham or some other low-mid-table team who are happy to let the other team have the ball. If it was a one-off I'd not be upset but apart from 1 half vs Arsenal we've been playing utter crap. Even WBA were playing us off the park completely. Last year we were losing and drawing games left and right but we were not being handled by teams like Birmingham. We conceded a lot of late, stupid or unlucky goals but now we are being outclassed, and the other team don't even have to play exceptionally to do it.

The only upside is Meireles looked good in his cameo but he should have been brought in way earlier - which is another critique of Hodgson as he subbed the players on so late, when it was obvious nothing was happening. Konchesky was OK but frankly, it's an embarrassment we even paid money for him, let alone also give up 2 of our youth prospects. Poulsen is the poor man's Lucas and that's saying something because Lucas isn't playing good either. I'm completely against using Johnson as an RB now too TBF. Would rather pay 17m for Finnan.

The only player who can keep his head up is Reina, who with his saves this match saved us from an embarrassing scoreline.

Last edited:

chalky

International Debutant
What a depressing game. Hodgson's out of his element.
Don't really think you can blame the new manager this early to be honest the team was hardly world beaters last season. The midfield looks terrible at the moment with Lucas & Paulson in particular offering very little. That will improve when Cole comes back into the team allowing Gerrard to play deeper. Mereiles looked good also will be a definate step up to what is in there at the moment.

The one thing I would say about Hodgson is that he needed to get a striker in before the transfer window closed as they are desperately short up front. Again though you don't know if the money was available to get a player of sufficient quality.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Don't really think you can blame the new manager this early to be honest the team was hardly world beaters last season. The midfield looks terrible at the moment with Lucas & Paulson in particular offering very little. That will improve when Cole comes back into the team allowing Gerrard to play deeper. Mereiles looked good also will be a definate step up to what is in there at the moment.

The one thing I would say about Hodgson is that he needed to get a striker in before the transfer window closed as they are desperately short up front. Again though you don't know if the money was available to get a player of sufficient quality.
True but you just don't get any positive vibes from this team. It's like GED's last year and Rafa's 2nd half of the season last year where we played like we didn't give a ****. Usually when a new manager comes you see players stepping up at least for a while but it's so ambivalent it disheartens you. The late subs make you really wonder what is going in Hodgson's head. After the match he said he didn't expect much more and was happy with a draw - come on. Birmingham are really hard to beat at home but that was just a poor performance all-round.

IMO it was a bad line-up and Lucas-Poulsen pairing just don't work. Gerrard and Torres had poor games but both really didn't get any quality service either. This is where the decision to loan Aquilani makes Hodgson look even more clueless.

Last edited: