• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2010-11

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As for Rooney, hearing that he's not travelled with the squad because he is not in a fit state to play after a super injunction was listed against him on Friday. So apparently we'll be reading more about him soon.
Sunday papers tomorrow apparently.

Craig

World Traveller
According to the Italian Tuttosport newspaper, it is claiming Juventus are looking at buying Jermain Defoe when the January transfer window opens :blink: :laugh:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Whites kicking arse in the Masters

Although Villa just scored. ****ing Tommy Johnson. It's fifteen years later and he's still a wanker.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bebe's been left out of United's 25-man squad. Actually, it's a 24-man squad. They opted to pick air instead of him.

I wonder what's behind his signing. Everything about it seems rather curious...

cpr

International Coach
Actually you'll find the 25th person we've registered is Own Goal, had a crackin domestic campaign last year.

Looking at it, think Fergie thinks we've enough strikers for a European campaign (where he favours one up top) and would rather keep a space open for registering a new player in January (only allowed a certain number of replacements, but gaps in the original 25 can be filled i think)

Hargreaves not being in doesn't really offer much hope though.

Uppercut

Yeah but if he's so surplus to requirements then why spend £8m on him?

You couldn't exactly say it's a bad signing- not yet anyway- but it's a pretty curious one. I wonder if Fergie even had anything to do with it.

Uppercut

Word was that he signed him on the back of a glowing recommendation from Carlos Quieroz, in the knowledge that he had to make a snap yes/no decision because other clubs were in the hunt.

cpr

International Coach
Yeah but if he's so surplus to requirements then why spend £8m on him?
Because he may not be surplus to requirements in a couple of years down the line, and hopefully he'll be of a calibre that a similar player would cost 3 times as much. Thats the reckoning behind the transfer.... Basically all chips have gone on red, just gonna take time to see where the ball lands

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Basically 3 other clubs were in for him. We matched the bids and he chose us. Having come from playing 3rd division football last season he's clearly not up to standard. Also clear he's not a striker based on his game against England U21s. When he was released if being lone man he actually showed some influence on the game. Anyway not ready for Europe and so no big he's not registered. If he's not registered in 2 years then he's a bad signing.

Uppercut

No that's only if he's been at the club for two years.

I wonder why they thought he hadn't been included.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Did anyone on here see the Argentina vs Spain friendly today??

I must say it was one of the best games i've seen in a long time. Spain didn't play as badly as the scoreline suggest, they could have easily scored 3 goals - but Argentina where superb.

That wasn't no friendly - felt like a major championship match. This was the argentina that was missing in the WC. Maradona decision to leave home Zanetti, Cambiasso & G Milito was made to look really foolish. If they had gone to the WC, they certainly would have beaten Germany & who knows what could have happened then.

Messi was god like though. In the 63rd IIRC correctly he had a burst of acceleration that took him past 6 or 7 spanish players, then he sent in an amazing pass to Di Maria who smashed it in, only for the ref to call off-side. That run was so Maradona vs ENG 1986 like.

Pepe Reina is officially having his worst season to date. Following his early season howler for Liverpool, he had a Paul Robinson 2008 Zagred type incident in front of goal. Xavi didn't come on until the second half, they certainly missed his control & vision in that 1st half when Mascherano/Cambiasso basically outmuscled the Spanish mid-field really.

Spain's goal was tik-taka football @ its finest also. About 15-20 passes before Llorente scored. Reminded me so much of Cambiasso goal vs Serbia in the 2006 WC. Just an amazing football game.

vcs

Spain making an artform of losing matches that don't matter (see Confederations Cup and Switzerland in the WC losses). They'll probably go on a 30-match winning run now.