• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2010-11

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Ikki. Plain wrong with a hint of Roseboy unwillingness to bend to the obvious and correct line of thought.
Nah, the English media overrate ol' Roy too much - it's as if they're going overboard for having not rated him highly enough in previous years. Just not good enough and anyone saying so either thinks he is better than he is or that Liverpool are much worse off than they are IMO. It's about as bad of an idea as the calls for Hughes were to replace Ferguson.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Dude Rijkaard is coaching in Galatasary and Deschamps is in Marseille. We haven't fallen that far off the footballing map. There are murmurs of Bielsa also and all 3 would likely want to come. Again, Hodgson should be a last resort, a we-could-not-get-anyone-else kind of appointment. And if the club was in that dire straits why wuold Hodgson himself want to come? Too much exaggerating going on here. If Liverpool were that desperate they'd have kept Benitez.
Marseille's Didier Deschamps rejects Liverpool manager's job - Telegraph

cpr

International Coach
Dude Rijkaard is coaching in Galatasary and Deschamps is in Marseille. We haven't fallen that far off the footballing map. There are murmurs of Bielsa also and all 3 would likely want to come. Again, Hodgson should be a last resort, a we-could-not-get-anyone-else kind of appointment. And if the club was in that dire straits why wuold Hodgson himself want to come? Too much exaggerating going on here. If Liverpool were that desperate they'd have kept Benitez.

Until you've got a stable board, you have fallen that far off the map, to managers at least (though maybe not to players). No manager with a brain cell will sign up to a club with a chairman who wants to sell, and wont give you a transfer kitty of note. They'd be on a hiding to nothing.

Liverpool would've kept Benitez if it wasn't so blatently obvious he wanted out, and they wanted him gone, they'd have kept him if the relationship hadn't deteriorated so far and so public.

Think Roy's got his eyes on a bigger prize now though.....

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Benitez didn't want out. He has come out and said that Purslow effectively wanted him gone and that he made the situation what it was. If the board had any ounce of sense they'd know they couldn't get a coach like Benitez and wouldn't have risked pushing him out. That is, unless, they'd already been lining up some good coaches.

Anyway, Roy to Engerland!

Misleading title. More like their board not letting us talk to him.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Les Parry was daily Mail's League One manager of the year. Never said a bad word about that paper.

**** this World Cup ****, bring on Oldham at home :ph34r:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
And if you think that would've stopped him from going if he wanted to, then you're even more deluded than I thought you were.
No, but it's possibly a reason considering he had only completed his first year of managing there.

My interpretation was that player power meant this simply wasn't an option.
Which player? Although there has been a lot of smoke, there's been nothing from the main group to suggest they wanted him gone.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There's obviously no concrete evidence, players rarely speak out on the subject as a matter of decency. It just very much appeared that way to me- the fact that they fired him so suddenly, with a huge payoff and no obvious replacement, suggests to me that something had made his job untenable. Hence I'm inclined to believe that the rumours surrounding senior players are quite likely to be true.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Benitez has come out saying he had very warm talks with practically all of the players (I think he said something like 95%) and mentioned names (all the big players) and Reina and Kuyt came out and said outright that they were upset. Gerrard has refused to talk at all about anything other than the WC and Carra said he was disappointed but wanted to move on.

As you say, no one knows really what happened and it was clear the season past had grated on the trust of many players but I don't think it made it untenable for him to stay. The only thing that is for sure is that Benitez has come out and pointed the finger at Purslow.

cpr

International Coach
Benitez has been griping about money too publically for too long. Yes he did get kicked out, but he was standing by the door waving his arse about anyway.

Craig

World Traveller
According to Palermo President Maurizio Zamparini, Tottenham have bid for for Simon Kjaer and Edinson Cavani for around €35m, to which Palermo have accepted.

Zamparini is bit of a nut case it should be said, IIRC after the opening game of last season he went and sacked his manager :blink:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Citeh and Valencia have confirmed they've agreed a deal for David Silva (believed to be around the £25m mark) and he will sign a five-year deal after the World Cup. Yaya Toure all-but confirmed as well.

All reports are that Hodgson will be confirmed as Liverpool manager within days, possibly within 24 hours.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I feel sick. From one of the best managers in the world...to Roy. What a disgrace.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Benitez's decisions were utterly baffling last year and his style was turgid, he didn't trust young players, made poor transfers, and played on the emotions of fans by painting the owners as the biggest villains (admittedly they are bad). He was excellent in the early part of his Liverpool stay but I think he pretty much lost the plot towards the end. There was no point keeping him when the players seemed to have lost all faith in him.