• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2010-11

cpr

International Coach
He's leaving it very late though IMO, too late actually. Can't see either being this good in 12 months, and bedding in new players at OT is harder than elsewhere, certain style's (play and life) and pressures that other clubs don't have.

Hoping Hughes does well with Fulham, as he's the only person IMO with the personality to step into Fergie's shoes

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hughes? Might have the right personality but he's a pretty crap manager.

I agree with the first part though. I remember reading someone saying that if Fergie retires without first adequately replacing Scholes and Giggs it'll be one of his biggest failures. I'm not sure that's true of Giggs because there are some quality wingers still at the club. But it's definitely true of Scholes.

I'd break the bank for Mesut Ozil.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ozil and Scholes aren't exactly like for like though. Still a quality replacement mind you. And for 20m euros. Would take it.

Pothas

He's leaving it very late though IMO, too late actually. Can't see either being this good in 12 months, and bedding in new players at OT is harder than elsewhere, certain style's (play and life) and pressures that other clubs don't have.

Hoping Hughes does well with Fulham, as he's the only person IMO with the personality to step into Fergie's shoes
Jose

cpr

International Coach
Hughes? Might have the right personality but he's a pretty crap manager.
Did an alright job at Blackburn, did alright at City as the place slowly, sorry, quickly, went crazy around him.... Ended up with a million players flying through and no time to build a team out of them. Fulham will be his yardstick. Settled squad, eyes looking up the table (unlike Blackburn).... Equaling last season will be a good start, any improvement would be a good success, but moving backwards could ruin his reputation.

Will be rooting for him.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Just wondering in England are you reading reports or seeing commercials that say BPL or EPL? This year here on Fox Sports it's all BPL and it sounds **** now. Barclay's must be paying a fortune for naming rights.

Great weekend of football it must be said, wish Given was in goals cause I think Spurs would have gotten the 3 points.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah best player I can compare to Scholes now would be Alonso.
I don't think they're that similar, maybe it's just me

Just wondering in England are you reading reports or seeing commercials that say BPL or EPL? This year here on Fox Sports it's all BPL and it sounds **** now. Barclay's must be paying a fortune for naming rights.

Great weekend of football it must be said, wish Given was in goals cause I think Spurs would have gotten the 3 points.
Barclays Premier League.

Uppercut

No one calls it the EPL. It would be like calling our houses of parliament "the English houses of parliament" all the time. Or something.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah but if they applied that in Australia their favourite sport would just be called 'Rules' :ph34r:

Uppercut

Nah, he doesn't sit that deep. I'd say he's similar to Xavi, without the dead ball skills.

Ozil and Scholes aren't exactly like for like though. Still a quality replacement mind you. And for 20m euros. Would take it.
Yeah. I don't think you ever can "replace" a player like Scholes as such, just like we could never replace Keane. Ozil's a different player who would help us remain a top-class side through Scholes's retirement.

vcs

Nah, he doesn't sit that deep. I'd say he's similar to Xavi, without the dead ball skills.

Yeah. I don't think you ever can "replace" a player like Scholes as such, just like we could never replace Keane. Ozil's a different player who would help us remain a top-class side through Scholes's retirement.
What separates midfielders like Xavi and Scholes from Alonso/Pirlo (putting them a touch above IMO) is their mobility, which allows them to exert more of an influence up the pitch.

Craig

World Traveller
Nah, I don't think there are any boards in the country quite stupid enough to sack a manager as good as Wenger. It's only because of Wenger that people think of Arsenal as a "big club". Given their spending and support they're lucky to even be the biggest club in North London, realistically.
I'm not suggesting going on a massive spending spree ala Man City (who might want to be careful if they make the CL and with UEFA's new financial rules coming in), and send the club up the creek, but you know, given how much money Wenger is meant to have, what is so wrong in spending a little bit of money to get the best player/s you can get for the positions you so desperately need to fill? It's more or less a copy and paste job from Arsenal fans these days.

It's the same throughout Asia in my experience. Agree though, it's incredibly dire.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Alonso is more defensive perhaps and less mobile .Carrick is more similar to him than Scholes.

I don't think united would go like for like in replacing Scholes in any case.

Ever Banega at Valencia would be a good all round midfield acquisition,so would Hamsik at Napoli who is more attacking minded and scores goals .Then there is Rodwell who has big Potential but City will be all over him like a rash whenever he is available..
United were also reported to be interested in Defour and are evaluating him after a long injury.

I think Ozil would be a good Acquisition for United but Not a direct Scholes replacement by any means.

Gourcuff and Pastore have huge potential too but they are more of a Riquelme Zidane type players rather than all round like a Scholes.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Internally it would be interesting as well as too how Pogba,Eikrem,James and Petrucci develop at united.

All have very good potential,Specially Pogba.

grecian

It's the "Prem" or the "Premiership", was noticeable how a lot of outlets, including MOTD, and some managers were talking about the "Barclays Premier League", though. Clearly there's been a push by Barclays this year. No chance of catching on here though.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Ha, the **** joins the scum, a match made in heaven

I heard this morning that it looked unlikely though