• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2010-11

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah, I don't think there are any boards in the country quite stupid enough to sack a manager as good as Wenger. It's only because of Wenger that people think of Arsenal as a "big club". Given their spending and support they're lucky to even be the biggest club in North London, realistically.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, in terms of net spend, over the last 5 seasons we're something like 18th out of the current 20 Premiership teams. We've actually turned over a profit in players during that time, yet still compete in all/most/some competitions.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Nah, I don't think there are any boards in the country quite stupid enough to sack a manager as good as Wenger. It's only because of Wenger that people think of Arsenal as a "big club". Given their spending and support they're lucky to even be the biggest club in North London, realistically.
Yeah, agreeing with this, sacking him would be a pointless move. Realistically there is nobody better who could come in to replace him. And besides, I doubt many other managers could have kept Arsenal as competitive as he has over the last few years on a similar budget.

Jarquis

His current deal takes him up to the age of 65, and he's always said that's when he'll go. So we do need to keep half an eye on the horizon.
Tbh, if we'd let his current deal run out, Van Gaal is available at the end of this season.

vcs

But it doesn't say anywhere that you're not allowed to spend occasionally on big players, does it? No one's asking him to take it to Manchester City proportions, just invest on the areas required, pay over the odds if that's what it takes occasionally.

But I don't even think that's where Wenger has failed over the last few seasons. From what I've seen, it's his ability to organize a team to defend properly that is in question for me. Individually, most of the players are good enough IMO.

Uppercut

Well yeah, he struggles to organise defences to some extent. But I don't think it's fair to pinpoint weaknesses when the bottom line has been as good as Wenger's has. He's the second most successful Premiership manager of the past twenty years, I'd put him probably about fourth in the world. Van Gaal's as good a replacement as you can realistically hope for but he doesn't come close to Wenger's ability.

duffer

Last night was so worrying because more or less all our major faults were being made apparent at some point in the game. Squad has been "a couple of players away" from being excellent for such a long time and yet we see this inactivity to get there every transfer window.

Just so glad Reina bailed us out there. A loss in that manner would've been really damaging to this team.

vcs

Last night was so worrying because more or less all our major faults were being made apparent at some point in the game. Squad has been "a couple of players away" from being excellent for such a long time and yet we see this inactivity to get there every transfer window.

Just so glad Reina bailed us out there. A loss in that manner would've been really damaging to this team.
Perhaps Reina has agreed terms with Arsenal... :ph34r:

duffer

We just need someone who might only make 3-4 bad errors a year as opposed to the 6 or 7 each that our current clowns contribute. **** me, we need someone.

duffer

Someone on another forum did a tally of ridiculous keeping errors which cost us goals last year and it was around 16-18. I was just being nice to them. Gone beyond a joke.

Jarquis

Schwarzer and a CB, but not some itty bitty CB, not a Sylvestre-esque signing. A real quality CB. Yeah, Koscielny looked good at parts yesterday but I'd much rather be in a position where he's vying for a place in the starting XI rather than he has one comfortably and only has competition for Djourou and somebody like Spahic.
I know it won't happen, but Gary Cahill would be decent.
Going against what I just said, I'd take Sakho but he will develop into something class.

Jarquis

Someone on another forum did a tally of ridiculous keeping errors which cost us goals last year and it was around 16-18. I was just being nice to them. Gone beyond a joke.
Yeah like Uppercut has said several times, our keepers cost us enough points to win us the league last season.
Think it's Uppercut anyway :)

Uppercut

Yeah, it's true. It's amazing that they got as close as they did, given how many boobs their keepers made.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Schwarzer and a CB, but not some itty bitty CB, not a Sylvestre-esque signing. A real quality CB. Yeah, Koscielny looked good at parts yesterday but I'd much rather be in a position where he's vying for a place in the starting XI rather than he has one comfortably and only has competition for Djourou and somebody like Spahic.
I know it won't happen, but Gary Cahill would be decent.
Going against what I just said, I'd take Sakho but he will develop into something class.
You should have Gone for Simon Kjaer without doubt.

Was available on the cheap as well.
See a big club snapping him for more than double what wolfsburg paid for him in a few years.
He is a better player than even Agger for me.

David Luis would be terrific for you but he is too expensive,perhaps could go for Subotic too.
But knowing Wenger he is most comfortable picking someone relatively cheap from France.Sakho?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente

See a big club snapping him for more than double what wolfsburg paid for him in a few years.

David Luis would be terrific for you but he is too expensive,perhaps could go for Subotic too.
But knowing Wenger he is most comfortable picking someone relatively cheap from France.Sakho?
Wow.

Jarquis

Westermann was available on the cheap as well. Would've given good cover all across the back. Maybe not what we needed but we didn't look anyway.

Uppercut

Have you seen much of Kjaer?