• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2010-11

Furball

Evil Scotsman
If strikers were judged based purely on their goal record then people would say that Kris Boyd was the best striker at Rangers for the last 5 years.

Anyone who'd watched us play in that timeframe would know that such an opinion was rubbish.

As far as Heskey, I think he's a decent enough striker - holds the ball up reasonably enough and brings others into play - however he's not good enough at anything to be playing at the level he's playing at IMO.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's watching the ball the whole time, that's how I've determined his intent.

The Derick Bird thing is really poor Marcuss, you are better than that.

Facepalm
I completely agree that the tackle didn't appear to be malicious. But I think it's silly to say something like this:

He's not a malicious player and I don't believe he is the sort who would deliberately set out to hurt an opponent.
The "not that type of player" bollocks is a bit tiresome, is all. They say it about literally every player who makes a potentially career-ending challenge. But in this case it's particularly strange because of the Ronaldo incident. I'm really not sure how they managed to conclude it about Joe Cole specifically- there aren't many players who you can dig up a clip of obviously deliberately setting out to hurt an opponent, but Cole is one.

That said, if the point of your argument is to lol at Arsenal's victim complex (oooh yes, I went there) I'll let it slide and join in :p.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, the Haaland one rather takes the biscuit. There was also the one where Middlesborough brought on a teenager in injury time against United and he promptly tried to break Ronaldo in two. Ian Wright on Schmeichel was another one that came to mind, but that's going way back.

Notice how easily I recall the instances that were against United :p

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Michael Ball on Ronaldo? Though that wasn't a challenge, he just stamped on his chest when he was ont he floor.

And if you can't call Hume a challenge, not sure Thatcher warrants being called one either.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
He's watching the ball the whole time, that's how I've determined his intent.

The Derick Bird thing is really poor Marcuss, you are better than that.

Facepalm
Though I don't really approve of the analogy I do sympathise with the point he is making. I'm not saying Cole set out to hurt anyone neccesarily, but I wouldn't say his previous good character means a thing if on this occasion he was setting out to cause some damage. However, this is probably something only he himself will ever know.

Honestly I don't think he really did mean any harm, and I doubt Hodgson would have sent out Liverpool with these types of instructions so to speak. But I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that they were sent out with the instructions to put the boot in a bit, as I am sure are lot of teams who play against Arsenal are instructed. The fact that Cole is not one to usually adopt this sort of approach of lunging in for me probably supports this position more than anything else.

Anyway, cbf with this any more really, as Koscielny doesn't appear to have been seriously hurt and Cole was given the deserved punishment fortunately there is no real controversy left here imo. The only worrying thing for me, is that this is just another example of stupid, reckless behaviour, which 9 times out of 10 will result in an injury more severe than has happened here. Once again I will repeat that I am not adverse to hard tackling, but challenges like this which are needlessly reckless have no place anywhere, and this is the real issue which needs to be addressed.

chalky

International Debutant
I think My favourite is Mark Bosnich knocking out Jurgen Klinsmann, can't find the video but it was awesome.

Even better was the following year he was getting stick at White Hart Lane and pulled out the Basil Fawlty Hitler impression at the home of the English club with the biggest Jewish following ****ing class.

cpr

International Coach
hmm, having just seen the Cole one, there will be players just booked for worse. Was a bad tackle, didn't really think it was a red card though...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
When Smitteh's the voice of reason one's tempted to scan the horizon for four horsemen, tbh.

Fair call tho.

Mind you, we didn't even need one game to know The Arse need a new keeper and centre-half, anyway.

Craig

World Traveller
When Smitteh's the voice of reason one's tempted to scan the horizon for four horsemen, tbh.

Fair call tho.

Mind you, we didn't even need one game to know The Arse need a new keeper and centre-half, anyway.
I'm just amazed that Wenger refuses to see that. And the board give him a new contract. At any other biog club he would of sacked a long time ago.