• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2010-11

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
This.

Witness the ridiculous over-reaction of Tranmere fans calling for the sacking of Barnes.
Trolling. Pure and simple.

Bollocks, he was a quality manager pushed out by fan power long before he had the chance to show what he could do. Didn't you watch Soccer Saturday that weekend?
:laugh:

The media very much did think he didn't get a fair crack of the whip. Should have watched us play. And the ****ing **** came out after we got beat 4-0 at home and said "forget about tactics" in his interview. Yeah, we can see you've done that you useless ******. **** off.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Some knobhead got knocked the **** out by one of his own players. Couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke either, Steven Gerrard and John Terry notwithstanding.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
There was a certain amount of, shall we say, professionalism in his going to ground.

Clear contact though, so don't blame him. Hate the game, not the player, etc.
Oh most definitely. Part and parcel of the game though, see Fabregas a minute earlier.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
What is irritating me hugely this morning is Wenger having a moan about the goal being in the eleventh minute of added time when "only eight was indicated".

Two points:
(i) it is a minimum that is indicated - any extra incidents (like penalties and goals) will add to that
(ii) if a penalty is given at the end of a period, the period is extended to allow the penalty, no matter how long players crowd around the referee

Totally disingenuous on Wenger's part and piss-poor journalism that nobody has called him out on it.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bale - PFA PotY
Joke
Oh most definitely. Part and parcel of the game though, see Fabregas a minute earlier.
I agree with the point being made but disagree that Fabregas' was the same at all. He was always being taken to ground.
(ii) if a penalty is given at the end of a period, the period is extended to allow the penalty, no matter how long players crowd around the referee
Ref didn't do himself any favours for not adding time on after the Kuyt penalty then, if RVPs was worth 2-3 extra minutes...

biased indian

International Coach
What is irritating me hugely this morning is Wenger having a moan about the goal being in the eleventh minute of added time when "only eight was indicated".

Two points:
(i) it is a minimum that is indicated - any extra incidents (like penalties and goals) will add to that

Totally disingenuous on Wenger's part and piss-poor journalism that nobody has called him out on it.
Five things we learned from the FA Cup and Premier League this weekend | Tom Lutz and Simon Burnton | Football | guardian.co.uk

Don't witter on about timekeeping without checking your watch

Arsène Wenger was furious that the referee, Andre Marriner, who took charge of their game against Liverpool, signalled eight minutes of stoppage time but played nearly 12, giving the visitors time not only to concede a penalty in the seventh minute, but to score one of their own in the last. "We conceded a penalty after 11 minutes and the extra time was only eight minutes," he said. "I don't know where this additional time came from."
If he's seen the game again, or read this morning's Sun, he should know by now. The tabloid examines the period in forensic detail: one minute and three seconds elapsed between Liverpool conceding the penalty and Arsenal scoring it, and Van Persie's celebration – for which he was booked – lasted a further 46 seconds.
Clearly, though, Dirk Kuyt was expecting the worst when he launched an optimistic shot direct from the subsequent kick-off. But those delays gave Liverpool enough time to win a free-kick on the edge of Arsenal's penalty area, which was awarded after 8mins 45sec of stoppage time. Mainly because of the time Arsenal took to retreat 10 yards, it took a full two minutes before Luis Suárez took his shot. Five seconds after that Lucas Leiva tumbled under Emmanuel Eboué's challenge and another penalty was awarded. In all, The Sun calculated that just 4mins 49secs of actual football was played between the end of the 90th minute and the final whistle.
According to Fifa's Law 7, which covers the duration of a match, "the announcement of the additional time does not indicate the exact amount of time left in the match. The time may be increased if the referee considers it appropriate but never reduced."
It's understandable if Wenger is flabbergasted that his side found yet another novel way of not winning a match, but this is one whinge too many.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Two points:
Yeah, the footballing world really struggles with the concept of "minimum".

And there's a rule specifically relating to adding on time for penalties IIRC. Dates back to when Aston Villa's goalkeeper booted the ball out of the ground when the other team had a late penalty and by the time they got the ball back, time was up :laugh:.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Thank you for doing that work for me.

Changing the subject entirely, just seen a feature on SSN with Sheffield United youth academy: coach John Pemberton has banned (i) coloured boots, (ii) earrings and (iii) stupid haircuts. Hopefully tattoos are also included on that list.

Thought Burgey would appreciate that. The reasoning is "worrry about what you're playing like, not what you're looking like".

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I remember back around 1999 I think it was, when the ref allowed for a corner to be taken, but blew for fulltime as soon as the ball was kicked, only for the team to head the ball into the net and for it to be dissalowed. Think it was Wimbledon iirc. Pretty funny in any case.

blahblahblah

International 12th Man
Thank you for doing that work for me.

Changing the subject entirely, just seen a feature on SSN with Sheffield United youth academy: coach John Pemberton has banned (i) coloured boots, (ii) earrings and (iii) stupid haircuts. Hopefully tattoos are also included on that list.

Thought Burgey would appreciate that. The reasoning is "worrry about what you're playing like, not what you're looking like".
really love that ..

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I remember back around 1999 I think it was, when the ref allowed for a corner to be taken, but blew for fulltime as soon as the ball was kicked, only for the team to head the ball into the net and for it to be dissalowed. Think it was Wimbledon iirc. Pretty funny in any case.
Clive Thomas did the same thing in the 1978 World Cup - Brazil v Sweden.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Think Clive Thomas, the pedants' pedant, did something similar in the 1978 world cup. Brazil v Sweden, from memory. Corner taken, Thomas blows a fraction of a second before a Brazilian headed what would've been the winning goal.

EDIT: Or what Neil said...

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I agree with the point being made but disagree that Fabregas' was the same at all. He was always being taken to ground.
Haha, not surprised. The look of anguish, the arms going out, the roll. It's part of it. But Lucas gets pushed over and apparently that's much worse.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I remember once in a Livingston UEFA cup game the ref blew up for full time while the ball was whistling towards the top corner. Would have taken their opponents through.

I always wondered why they don't do what they do in FIFA games and blow up next time the ball goes out of play or crosses the halfway line.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I remember once in a Livingston UEFA cup game the ref blew up for full time while the ball was whistling towards the top corner. Would have taken their opponents through.

I always wondered why they don't do what they do in FIFA games and blow up next time the ball goes out of play or crosses the halfway line.
Time keeping in football is one of those issues that would be so very easy to sort out and be completely transparent (just follow union's model) that one's almost minded to align oneself with the tinfoil hat wearing brigade to suggest reasons why it hasn't already been done.