• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2010-11

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I dunno, like I say, wasn't a foul but looked like he clipped his leg himself. Doesn't matter, boy who cried wolf and all that.

The penalty claim was unforgiveable though, no excuse for that not be given. Laughable to hear whisky breath and the former England captain call it swings and roundabouts though.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I dunno, like I say, wasn't a foul but looked like he clipped his leg himself. Doesn't matter, boy who cried wolf and all that.

The penalty claim was unforgiveable though, no excuse for that not be given. Laughable to hear whisky breath and the former England captain call it swings and roundabouts though.
Did you see the penalty Chelsea got last time Man Utd went to the Bridge?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yes, I am well aware that Chelsea have had their luck over the filth in recent years.

Doesn't make whisky breath/Ferdinand's statements any less ironic though.

Actually, tbf to Taggart, he specifically only mentioned their luck at Chelsea, thinking about it. Still a **** though.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Said it before, needs to be said again - referees won't get respect until they get these calls right.

That was a Castle Lager sized bottle.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
?

Fairly sure it is swings and roundabouts, given poor decisions have benefitted both sides now
in the fixture in recent history.
If just referring to the Chelsea-Man U games sure. Fairly sure Ferdinand talked more generally.

Also fairly sure that all the times Ferguson has bullied referees over the years his team will have benefitted from a questionable call or two against the same opposition previously. Not swings and roundabouts then?

Anyway - forget that - got to be fair and United fully deserved the win. First 40 minutes was as good as I've seen them play this season.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
If just referring to the Chelsea-Man U games sure. Fairly sure Ferdinand talked more generally.

Also fairly sure that all the times Ferguson has bullied referees over the years his team will have benefitted from a questionable call or two against the same opposition previously. Not swings and roundabouts then?

Anyway - forget that - got to be fair and United fully deserved the win. First 40 minutes was as good as I've seen them play this season.
Haven't seen his Sky interview but his ITV interview said that they've ridden their luck here a few times over the years and it's about time we had some luck here. Not really much to argue with there IMO.

Anyway yeah we played fairly well overall and very well at times, I have a strangely nervy feeling about the 2nd leg though.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Said it before, needs to be said again - referees won't get respect until they get these calls right.

That was a Castle Lager sized bottle.
If only they'd placed an extra official on the goal-line - he would have had an uninterrupted view of the incident and would have been able to inform the referee of his error.

I should put this idea to UEFA.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Was a clear-cut penalty, but the more pressing issue is surely that Chelsea played terribly. Again.

keeper

U19 Vice-Captain
Both teams are in decline, neither a patch on where they were 3 years ago. Usually, Chelsea have enough power and pace to overwhelm United in the second half of a game but they are getting older, and this time the dodgy decisions went against them. They're also hampered by having to play Roman's Christmas present to himself. Their immediate future depends on how much RA is willing to throw at the club as they're not viable as a top level club without him.

United are held together by the trio of Ferdinand/Vidic/VDS at the back, flashes of brilliance from a resurgent Rooney and others, the absurd longevity of Giggs and Scholes and the tactical sophistication that Ferguson has discovered in the latter part of his career. Their immediate future depends on how long he can last and whether the funding is there to refresh the team.

Poor penalty decision but 99% of footballers perpetually cheat so tough cheese. Would rather my lads see Rooney swearing than Torres swan-diving.

The tie is still very much alive.

biased indian

International Coach
If only they'd placed an extra official on the goal-line - he would have had an uninterrupted view of the incident and would have been able to inform the referee of his error.

I should put this idea to UEFA.
thought they are now used...

i think i saw a goal line referee in the inter - schalke match ???

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd say top-level referees will continue to be terribad for as long as they get no respect. Premiership referees tend to be contrary, exceptionally thick-skinned people, often with a bit of a power complex. The only people insane enough to pick a career that involves putting up with phenomenal amounts of abuse, basically.

International rugby referees, on the other hand, are there because they're good at refereeing. The difference in officiating standard between the two sports is a total embarrassment to football.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha or traffic wardens. Maybe not the only people. Although I'd suggest that it also explains why so many policemen and traffic wardens are ****s.

cpr

International Coach
Or Taxmen, we thrive on the **** we get. Some of it would make Rooney blush!

Good to see BI saw the extra officials, the query is, did they see him?? They've seen **** all else since they were appointed.