• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2010-11

cpr

International Coach
Haha now thats a pic to rile a Celtic fan! Diouf did nothing bar dive like he's been shot.

Good final though, Rangers deserved the win. Have to say very well reffed though.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, it was such a difficult game to ref too.

I like how one of the Celtic players did actually get sent off to avoid going up for the runners-up medal.

cpr

International Coach
I doubt that was his main intention ;) He had no choice overwize Weiss has made it 3-1. Least at 2-1 there is 0.0001% chance of the equalizer

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Haha now thats a pic to rile a Celtic fan! Diouf did nothing bar dive like he's been shot.

Good final though, Rangers deserved the win. Have to say very well reffed though.
And put a glorious chance on a plate for Weiss who fluffed his lines.

Have to say from my vantage point in the stand I thought Diouf got fouled. His fall was certainly on the dramatic side though.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Can someone please explain how the European spots work for the English sides? How many are there? Do Birmingham have one after winning the Cup? Do they keep it if they get relegated? Ta.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can someone please explain how the European spots work for the English sides? How many are there? Do Birmingham have one after winning the Cup? Do they keep it if they get relegated? Ta.
Top 4 in the Champions League.

5th = Europa League

Birmingham qualified for Europa League

Stoke or Bolton to qualify for Europa Cup via place in FA Cup final should City and United qualify for Champions League.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
We are going to finish 5th again.

I'm so sick of Mancini starting a midfield of Barry-de Jong and Toure. It's slow, there's no movement and the passing skill is atrocious.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Top 4 in the Champions League.

5th = Europa League

Birmingham qualified for Europa League

Stoke or Bolton to qualify for Europa Cup via place in FA Cup final should City and United qualify for Champions League.
This used to be how it worked, it isn't anymore. Runners up in the FA Cup no longer get into Europe. It was changed a couple of years ago.

Stoke or Bolton only qualify if they win it, so Liverpool would be in the strange position of supporting us in a Cup final should we beat City to get there.

Edit: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...is-shut-for-FA-Cup-final-losers-Football.html

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
This used to be how it worked, it isn't anymore. Runners up in the FA Cup no longer get into Europe. It was changed a couple of years ago.

Stoke or Bolton only qualify if they win it, so Liverpool would be in the strange position of supporting us in a Cup final should we beat City to get there.

Edit: Back-door route into Europe is shut for FA Cup final losers - Football - Telegraph
UEFA changed their mind again though. Portsmouth would have got into Europe if they weren't bankrupt, and Lausanne played in Europe this year despite finishing 10th in their second division. (and losing the cup final 0-6 to Basel)

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
UEFA changed their mind again though. Portsmouth would have got into Europe if they weren't bankrupt, and Lausanne played in Europe this year despite finishing 10th in their second division. (and losing the cup final 0-6 to Basel)
I thought it was down to the associations?

Rule needs changed anyway, in the last few years we've had Gretna (who were in the 2nd division), Dunfermline (who got relegated), Queen of the South (1st Division) and Falkirk (11th) qualify for the UEFA Cup by losing the Scottish Cup final, and destroying our co-efficient.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I thought it was up to the FA to nominate so their choice if the national cup winner were already in Europe by another method though?

The bankruptcy part was only relevant if Portsmouth won the cup?

Tom Halsey

International Coach

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Did we reach a conclusion?
The UEFA regulations seem pretty clear on this.

2.04 If the winner of the domestic cup qualifies for the UEFA Champions League, the domestic cup runner-up qualifies for the UEFA Europa League at the stage initially reserved for the lowest ranking top domestic league representative.

No mention of individual FA discretion.

Thus, Bolton or Stoke take the first place, as long as Tottenham don't overtake Man City. Then Tottenham the second and Birmingham the third.

Also: Norn Iron One-Nil Serbia.

cpr

International Coach
Dominating play, 2 down....

Cant argue with either pen, Evra a bit unlucky, but thats what happens when you jump with your hands up