• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2010-11

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Think of it this way.. would Liverpool fans (even taking into consideration his 2010 form and his injuries) have even considered swapping him for Andy Carroll + 15 million or so a week back? You'd have been laughed out of town.

I think Suarez and N'Gog (I think he's a decent backup striker) would have been enough to tide them over till the summer, and then they could have rebuilt the team, or looked at other options to replace Torres. This season's pretty much a write-off anyway.
Yeah, I would have considered it.

Ngog is not of Premier League quality, and I may have cried many tears if he was a first-choice striker for the rest of the season.

Say this season is a write-off is garbage, as we need to secure a Europa spot. It's not a big aim, but it's an important one.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And in regards to the Bendtner stuff, all I'm really saying is that I've never thought to myself "****, Niklas has the ball" when playing Arsenal but I certainly have against Newcastle. Make of that what you will but I'd take Carroll over Bendtner regardless of record and that's my personal feeling. The money involved is stupid on all levels. We're glossing over the fact that Chelsea just paid nearly 60 mill for Torres!
Might have something to do with the comparative quality of the players around him. ie JJ Hickson to a LMA.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
The most important thing in all of this, is that Carroll will help me score from corners in Fifa 11. :dj:

duffer

On the 60 million for Torres thing. You're buying the star striker from one of your biggest rivals who know you have a bottomless pit of cash to spend. Was always going to be astronomical. Still ridiculous though.

edit: But seriously, these fair play rules are way ****ing overdue. End this nonesense. I laughed when Arsene said football will **** the bed one day because of this stuff but it's already happening big time. Absolute madness, Major League Baseball type lunacy.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And in regards to the Bendtner stuff, all I'm really saying is that I've never thought to myself "****, Niklas has the ball" when playing Arsenal but I certainly have against Newcastle. Make of that what you will but I'd take Carroll over Bendtner regardless of record and that's my personal feeling. The money involved is stupid on all levels. We're glossing over the fact that Chelsea just paid nearly 60 mill for Torres!
When Arsenal are playing I quite often think, "bollocks, they're gona score here" followed by "oh no wait, Bendtner has the ball". Remember the time he blocked the ball on Liverpool's line in a Champions League quarter-final :laugh:.

Carroll's miles better in that he's actually a footballer.

Craig

World Traveller
On the 60 million for Torres thing. You're buying the star striker from one of your biggest rivals who know you have a bottomless pit of cash to spend. Was always going to be astronomical. Still ridiculous though.

edit: But seriously, these fair play rules are way ****ing overdue. End this nonesense. I laughed when Arsene said football will **** the bed one day because of this stuff but it's already happening big time. Absolute madness, Major League Baseball type lunacy.
I think they are a load of ****, no big club will get punished. It's easy to throw out Portsmouth and Mallorca because nobody gives two ****s about them.

Jarquis

Arsenal's first XI from last weekend cost £44m and our entire first team squad cost £98m.
The amount of money that got thrown about yesterday is ridiculous.

I agree with DCYE, Liverpool have had one good striker and **** all else for as long as I can remember so selling Torres and replacing him with Suarez didn't benefit them at all. The money had to be reinvested in another striker but I can't help but feel they'd have been better off looking elsewhere. Apparently Mario Gomez is available for something like £14m and he's meant to be banging goals in for fun. There's also the aforementioned Fabiano. A cheaper/better alternative would've been a better option IMO along with some reinvestment elsewhere in the squad. They enquired about Ashley Young so it's obviously in their plans.
Just feel they could've gone about it quicker.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
£35m is undoubtedly paying over the odds, but it was a case of needs must if Torres wanted to leave.
Not really it wasn't, they're not going to get relegated or get into the Champions League, which means that they're not playing for much for the rest of the season. They could pretty easily have waited until the summer and bought sensibly instead of paying £35m for a player who has had half a good season.

Also curious how Torres/Drogba is going to work when only playing one up.

duffer

When Arsenal are playing I quite often think, "bollocks, they're gona score here" followed by "oh no wait, Bendtner has the ball". Remember the time he blocked the ball on Liverpool's line in a Champions League quarter-final :laugh:.

Carroll's miles better in that he's actually a footballer.
Yeah I'm sure a big lumbering striker like Carroll has never had any embarressing misses in his career. Oh wait, they probably happened in the Championship. What a load, let's see how this knob who injured himself taking jagershots handles a huge jump in money and profile.

Heh @ Torres saying "I've joined a top club" upon signing for Chelsea. Heh.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You compared him to Bendtner, though. Carroll's overhyped and overpriced but at least he's not so hopeless that you sometimes get the feeling he's in the wrong job.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Dalglish is obviously remembering how well it worked for him when he last bought a striker with lower-league pedigree for Liverpool. Turned out to be the greatest goalscoring genius of all-time tbh.

duffer

You compared him to Bendtner, though. Carroll's overhyped and overpriced but at least he's not so hopeless that you sometimes get the feeling he's in the wrong job.
Never had that feeling with Bender. He's missed chances but he's always had the movement and intelligence to put himself into goalscoring positions. Better technically by distance too.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
We're glossing over the fact that Chelsea just paid nearly 60 mill for Torres!
On the 60 million for Torres thing.
Still, justifying a 60 million fee is going to take some doing
I'd only heard of the fee being 50 mil - is it now higher than first reported?

Give or take a few mil either way - depending on exactly how much Torres cost - Liverpool have essentially just replaced Torres and Babel with Carroll and Suarez for about the same amount. The money involved has been ****ing mental, of course, but if Carroll and Suarez work well together and form a good partnership (which, looking at their differing styles, I reckon they might) Liverpool fans could well come out thinking they've had a win here.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
The more i think about it i can't figure out where Chelsea will fit in Torres?

Drogba has to play when fit ,so if they play 2 up top they will have to play a 4-4-2 which when they have done with Anelka - Drogba has not worked out well,tbh.

So they then reverted to playing Anelka as a wing forward in a 4-3-3.

Don't think Chelsea needed Torres that desperately ,and way over paid for someone who has the injury record he has.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I read £50 million and I don't think Chelsea would go any higher as Torres had a £50mil release clause in his contract that would be activated if Liverpool failed to qualify for the CL at the end of the season. I imagine they'd have waited until the summer rather than splash out an extra £10 million.

I'm probably hilariously wrong though

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Carroll is clearly better than Bendtner,tbh.

Better at heading ,better at holding up the ball,better at attacking the ball and will almost certainly score more goals than him.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I read £50 million and I don't think Chelsea would go any higher as Torres had a £50mil release clause in his contract that would be activated if Liverpool failed to qualify for the CL at the end of the season. I imagine they'd have waited until the summer rather than splash out an extra £10 million.

I'm probably hilariously wrong though
Torres went for 50 million not 60 ,though.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Dunno about anyone else but I personally think Torres-Drogba is a dream strike partnership. Don't think they'll struggle to fit them both in at all.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Dunno about anyone else but I personally think Torres-Drogba is a dream strike partnership. Don't think they'll struggle to fit them both in at all.
They struggled to fit in Drogba - Anelka though ,how will Torres - Drogba be different.

Both are gun and can play together ,no doubt but what system will they have behind them?

Lampard has his limitations in a traditional 4-4-2 as has been exposed for England time and again,plus they do not have any hug the touchline wingers to widen the pitch.

And they have previously tried a narrow diamond 4-4-2 and failed every time on many occasions now.

Plus as far as squad morale is concerned ,no doubt Le sulk will go on a sulk and affect the morale if he does not get regular playing time.