• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2010-11

Tom Halsey

International Coach
No outcry about the non award of the penalty at 2-0?

Funny that...
No outcry about us not getting a free kick when Adam almost cut Evra's top lip off, the lack of a free kick resulting in the corner which lead to their first goal?

Funny that.

Even so, how disgraceful that referees give poor decisions which in no way whatsoever even themselves out (please ignore Lee Bowyer for Birmingham and several other decisions this season for United, and whatever luck I'm sure Blackpool have had at some point this season).

Fair play to Holloway also, I can't think of a single other manager in the league who wouldn't have harped on about the decision for the entirity of their post match interview. Understandably annoyed at it but gave credit where it was due as well which was nice to see.

Craig

World Traveller
Emmanual Adebayor -> Real Madrid on loan for the rest of the season and then a right to buy for 18m. Inter's Sulley Muntari -> Sunderland.

Craig

World Traveller
So what is meant to happen with these new Financial Regulations that UEFA will bring in? I don't see how they could be worth the paper they written on, as to my understanding, and I could be totally wrong (and I'll happily accept it), clubs like Man City, Barcelona (who have lost more then £77m in a year), would fall foul of these laws. No way would a big club be prevented from taking part in the Champions League. It's one thing to prevent teams like Portsmouth and Mallorca from taking part in the Europa League (in the case of Mallorca, they were more then £75m in debt, and people like Rafa Nadal stepped in to help save the club), because with all due respect, nobody gives two ****s about them.

Imagine if Barca were prevented from taking part? They would go straight to CAS to appeal, and in the mean time, go on a massive PR campaign to play themselves to be the victims of a witch hunt etc., and Platini would sign his death warrant as UEFA President, because you don't get to that level without having some important friends, who would go and vote for somebody else instead.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Think the whole thing's turned into a beat up now, tbh. Yes, Gray was out of order, but it was hardly on a par with Fat Ron's little "effing lazy n-word" diatribe, was it?
The remarks during the Liverpool game were on a par with Ron Atkinson's "****ing lazy ******" remarks.

Gray and Keys remarked that a qualified referee wouldn't be capable of understanding the offside rule because said referee happened to be female. If they'd said that about a black referee, they'd have been bulleted instantly.

If anything, the furore and the "OMG, PC GONE MAD" brigade have shown that there's still a bit to go with regards to eliminating ***ism from the sport.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
LOL @ at the prices quoted for Charlie Adam. A poor man's Danny Murphy.
He's not good enough to play for a top club. No amount of Jamie Redknapp fawning over him will change that.

Has all the talent in the world, but doesn't have the mental side to his game.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The remarks during the Liverpool game were on a par with Ron Atkinson's "****ing lazy ******" remarks.

Gray and Keys remarked that a qualified referee wouldn't be capable of understanding the offside rule because said referee happened to be female. If they'd said that about a black referee, they'd have been bulleted instantly.

If anything, the furore and the "OMG, PC GONE MAD" brigade have shown that there's still a bit to go with regards to eliminating ***ism from the sport.
Yeah agree with this, I'm so bored with the defending of them. They came across as bitter nasty-minded *****, no banter, just a horrid mind-set.

Get rid, and let's move on, in more ways then one. This old-fashioned "football was better in my day, when it was just men" bollocks ****ing winds me, it was horrid, ****ing despicable violence on and off the pitch, standing in a trench of piss to go toilet, squashed in like sardines and getting crushed. Civility has made football, and families in the game has really helped.

BoyBrumby

Englishman

I agree, football is still riven with ***ism and homophobia (and sectarianism), but Keys & Gray were condescendingly disparaging rather than outright abusive. If either had called her a "****ing stupid bitch" they'd be on a par with Atkinson, but they didn't.

Anyway, as has been amply demonstrated since my post, this latest incident was the straw that broke the camel's back rather than an isolated blip.

It was reported in today's Super, Soaraway that Gray wasn't well liked amongst the Sky journos:

sources revealed there had been bad blood between Gray and Sky News colleagues since he mocked the channel's journalists at an awards ceremony two years ago.

More convinced than ever it's an inside job now.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
LOL @ at the prices quoted for Charlie Adam. A poor man's Danny Murphy.
I keep hearing all this negative talk about him, but he's only 25 irrc, was amazing in the Championship last season and has been really good in the Prem so far.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I agree, football is still riven with ***ism and homophobia (and sectarianism), but Keys & Gray were condescendingly disparaging rather than outright abusive. If either had called her a "****ing stupid bitch" they'd be on a par with Atkinson, but they didn't.

Anyway, as has been amply demonstrated since my post, this latest incident was the straw that broke the camel's back rather than an isolated blip.

It was reported in today's Super, Soaraway that Gray wasn't well liked amongst the Sky journos:

sources revealed there had been bad blood between Gray and Sky News colleagues since he mocked the channel's journalists at an awards ceremony two years ago.

More convinced than ever it's an inside job now.
No-one doubts it's an inside-job, and it no doubt has summat to do with the NOTW thing. Yet they go after him and within a month or so he makes a number of fairly objectionable comments. It makes you think he's been getting away with this crap for years, and been protected coz he's been Teflon up 'til now. So no sympathy from me, comeuppance time.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I keep hearing all this negative talk about him, but he's only 25 irrc, was amazing in the Championship last season and has been really good in the Prem so far.
If you want to spend loads on him, great, as Rangers have a 10% sell on clause - he's not good enough for Liverpool. He wouldn't get back into the current Rangers side.

Someone said that he could be a replacement for Xabi Alonso - an utterly laughable comparison.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Keys: "Somebody better get down there and explain offside to her"
Gray: "Yeah, I know. Can you believe that? A female linesman. That's exactly what I said to them, women don't know the offside rule"
Keys: "Of course they don't."

Like I said, swap women, female, anything in that conversation that refers to the fairer *** with any words or phrases that referenced the black community (or any other minority) and there wouldn't be an argument.

Rodney Marsh got sacked for making a **** joke about the Boxing Day Tsunami. This is far, far worse.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
If you want to spend loads on him, great, as Rangers have a 10% sell on clause - he's not good enough for Liverpool. He wouldn't get back into the current Rangers side.

Someone said that he could be a replacement for Xabi Alonso - an utterly laughable comparison.
I love Blackpool, so if we can buy their blokes, fantastic, haha. :ph34r:

Seriously though, he's young and (imo) in fabulous touch, and left-footed. Reckon he'd form a good triangle with Gerrard and Meireles. The money that's thrown around these days is so hectic, so I'm not sure what he's worth. But the 6mil that I hear Liverpool bidding for sounds reasonable.

Obviously any comparison with Alonso is garbage.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
If we win tonight... we're seventh! What?! Crazy close season.

Also, settle the Suarez issue already.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So what exactly would he bring to the Liverpool team?

Where would he play?

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
So what exactly would he bring to the Liverpool team?

Where would he play?
As I said, he'd form a good partnership with Gerrard and Meireles in the middle imo. Would love to have him linking up in midfield and he's probably more of a goal threat than most of our blokes. I'd like to see him in the centre, but it's possible Liverpool would push him wider, or play him off Torres. Midfield of Lucas/Meireles/Adam/Gerrard plus a wider option like Johnson/Young/N'Zogbia would be ideal.

EDIT: He might not be a winger or a second striker, but he's someone Marc. :(

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The Issue I have is that all the things he seems to provide to Blackpool appear to me to be covered by Gerrard.